Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

TigerBob
All Conference

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Post by TigerBob »

Calvin wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:55 am
trojandave wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:12 am I would talk about any possible transfers coming in, but I don't want this thread to turn into something that looks like the Ironton--Wheelersburg football threads, which are rife with accusations of recruiting, transfers, and espionage.

I will say that Coach Lisath's energy and his style of play displayed in scrimmages has been very appealing to some outside the PCSD, so much so that some decisions have been made that will help the basketball program. Decisions of which Coach Lisath had absolutely nothing to do with.

I know that's somewhat cryptic, but I'll leave it at that.
Those Ironheads and Burgers are irrational and childish with their incessant accusations and nonsensical posts. So don’t let that stop you from sharing information. Folks on this thread are much more rational.
Not me baby. Coach Lisath is doing exactly what a coach in 2023 should be doing, which is building energy in the schools and community around the program. Kids both inside and outside of Portsmouth will respond to that energy, and it’s not a surprise many will want to be a part of it. That can be extra kids coming out or moving in.

If your coach isn’t doing this, that’s a problem that needs fixing.

SEO basketball can’t be as strong as it can be without a strong Portsmouth. I am rooting for Coach Lisath and the Trojans to go 20-2 next year, and think it’s awesome what they’re building.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

jgordon0315 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:06 pm This is nothing but noise! Granted Jeff Lisath hasn’t won anything yet, I get it …but the key word is yet…his track record speaks for itself. First, he was the Head Coach at Columbus State Community College where they were 59-9 in three seasons. He wanted to coach high school so jumps in the frying pan to get Unioto back to the Convo after a short hiatus, he goes to Chillicothe Girls who had gone 11 straight years without a winning record, and led them to the Regionals in his first season then back-to-back winning seasons, he goes to Piketon and becomes the winningest coach in school history and taking them to their first and only Final Four appearance, Piketon became a top tier program in the SE. Jeff then goes to Dayton Northridge and becomes the winningest coach in school history collecting several league, sectional, and district titles being one win away for another Final Four appearance in 2019.
Why are Portsmouth fans excited? Well, he won a state championship in 1978 and was a two-time All-Ohio Basketball player, he played college D1 basketball, and he never forgot about his hometown Portsmouth by running the Bannon Park Classic for several years, conducted free basketball camps for kids, and even gives academic scholarships to Portsmouth High School students year after year. Jeff also came back to Portsmouth in the late 80s as an Assistant Coach and help lead the Trojans to another State Championship in 1988. Jeff has received several coaching awards on the district and state levels. Why wouldn’t we be excited? There is no knock on Eugene Collins because we love him too and he did a remarkable job with the program, he and Jeff are great friends and he is still involved with the program as Director of Basketball Operations.
Glad to see you back on here posting. You, @trojandave and @biggdowgg always draw my attention when you guys post about Trojan athletics. I say we keep the excitement train chugging right along. If you’re not a Portsmouth fan that’s fine. But many posters on here are and have every right to be excited!

Who Dey!
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

While I don't agree with everything "SOCSportsfan1" has said I do agree that there have been some indirect cheap shots taken at Coach Collins. When somebody post messages that a new coach is changing the culture of a program by building relationship with players, bringing alumni into the program, encouraging community support, etc. then they are saying the previous coach didn't do those things. To my knowledge that is not true and Coach Collins did all of those things. Some of my co-workers, who had direct ties to PHS Basketball during Coach Collins tenure had nothing but positive things to say about him as a coach and person. To be honest every coach in my area does those things so those are not unique to the new coaching staff at Portsmouth. But I will admit saying those things are happening at PHS is a very good marketing ploy.

With that being said this topic was used as a recruiting tool. When somebody posted about players from other schools being in the gym and they would look good in "Red & Blue" that is pretty obvious. Somebody called out this tactic and the post was deleted. The problem with bringing player into PHS is the academic performance of the school. Right now players and parents would have to sacrifice their academic preparation to come to PHS. On the other hand there are many local schools that have good basketball programs and much better academics. So I'm not sure there are many parents willing to sacifice academic for basketball. The other issue facing Portsmouth is the image the city. Portsmouth (per capita) has one of the highest crime rates in the state of Ohio. So that makes it even harder for parents to move their children to PHS especially when there are going to be late practices as well as late night bus trips.

Regardless of all the problems facing PHS I wish them luck as they build on the success that Coach Collins established.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:30 pm While I don't agree with everything "SOCSportsfan1" has said I do agree that there have been some indirect cheap shots taken at Coach Collins. When somebody post messages that a new coach is changing the culture of a program by building relationship with players, bringing alumni into the program, encouraging community support, etc. then they are saying the previous coach didn't do those things. To my knowledge that is not true and Coach Collins did all of those things. Some of my co-workers, who had direct ties to PHS Basketball during Coach Collins tenure had nothing but positive things to say about him as a coach and person. To be honest every coach in my area does those things so those are not unique to the new coaching staff at Portsmouth. But I will admit saying those things are happening at PHS is a very good marketing ploy.

With that being said this topic was used as a recruiting tool. When somebody posted about players from other schools being in the gym and they would look good in "Red & Blue" that is pretty obvious. Somebody called out this tactic and the post was deleted. The problem with bringing player into PHS is the academic performance of the school. Right now players and parents would have to sacrifice their academic preparation to come to PHS. On the other hand there are many local schools that have good basketball programs and much better academics. So I'm not sure there are many parents willing to sacifice academic for basketball. The other issue facing Portsmouth is the image the city. Portsmouth (per capita) has one of the highest crime rates in the state of Ohio. So that makes it even harder for parents to move their children to PHS especially when there are going to be late practices as well as late night bus trips.

Regardless of all the problems facing PHS I wish them luck as they build on the success that Coach Collins established.
You should add the word stupid into your name, because this opinion (post) was quite literally the definition of stupid. Academics aren’t a problem for kids at Portsmouth if they don’t want them to be. You and the rest of scioto county can sit here and act like academics are so bad when in all reality Portsmouth being the city school has all of the underprivileged kids there. They have the kids other schools won’t take or get kicked out of. Let’s not sit here and act like when kids graduate from Portsmouth they get on welfare and that’s that. Most of the time if you’re on an athletic team then you will learn to be a good student as well. If that’s the case Portsmouth is most certainly a fine school. They have many great teachers that have pushed kids and guided kids who are very successful. The crime rate thing is also bogus. Let’s not sit here and act like Portsmouth is the only area in the county that has crime. People have been murdered in Minford, meth bust in Burg, pedo cases on the west side, child neglect In McDermott. It’s easy to point the finger at the biggest area that has the most diversity and lowest income. Of course there’s going to be crime when you have those things. That’s said I have lived here my whole life. Graduated from Portsmouth. I think I turned out okay, I’m not in prison or dead. Not everyone has to follow down the stereotype you have laid out. If a kid were to move to Portsmouth I would hope his situation at home would be good enough to make sure he doesn’t go down a bad path. You’re clearly either just dumb, racist or a troll.

Coach Collins was a great coach. I’m not going to bash him, what he did was great for the school & community. That said let’s not sit here and pretend he was the same coach he was 15+ years ago. He’s lost a step, be it with the kids in the school, the community or whatever. The energy clearly wasn’t there anymore. Jeff has brought that back in a short amount of time. Sometimes change brings on a positive, clearly you’re too naive or shallow to realize that.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

:lol:
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:30 pm While I don't agree with everything "SOCSportsfan1" has said I do agree that there have been some indirect cheap shots taken at Coach Collins. When somebody post messages that a new coach is changing the culture of a program by building relationship with players, bringing alumni into the program, encouraging community support, etc. then they are saying the previous coach didn't do those things. To my knowledge that is not true and Coach Collins did all of those things. Some of my co-workers, who had direct ties to PHS Basketball during Coach Collins tenure had nothing but positive things to say about him as a coach and person. To be honest every coach in my area does those things so those are not unique to the new coaching staff at Portsmouth. But I will admit saying those things are happening at PHS is a very good marketing ploy.

:lol: :lol:

I don't think Sanderlin sacrificed academically to come to PHS. In fact I think he benefitted tremendously. He graduated from PHS with 70 college credit hours.

You sound dumb and extremely bothered by Portsmouth High School. Academic performance of the school is not a concern at all. My kid who was born and raised in Portsmouth, graduated from PHS also graduated high school with 50+ college credit hours, graduated college in 2.5 years, and is living a great life because of the academic scholarship we were able to secure with the help of PORTSMOUTH HIGH SCHOOL educators and advisors. Oh yeah one last thing remember his quiz bowl team (you know academics) that was UNDEFEATED (meaning NONE of the "far better academically successful" Scioto County schools beat them) have all succeeded in life as well.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I'm sorry I hit a nerve with some people. If you interpretted my post as an attack on Portsmouth educators then you are Wrong. I was just stating fact based off the state test scores. Check the Crime Rate per capita in Ohio Cities. You don't have to believe me do your own research. I will leave you to your research. Have a great day and best of luck to "ALL" the programs in southern Ohio.

Cruise
Waterboy

Post by Cruise »

Someone is afraid of Portsmouth hurting Burgs transfer prospects. So now they are bashing the school and city. Love to see the jealously. It means Portsmouth is doing something right.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Great to have jgordon0315 on here again, like PTrojan59 said. And he is absolutely right, our enthusiasm for Coach Lisath is not an insinuation about Coach Collins. That attempted connection is totally misguided. Coach Collins is a beloved figure as a person and as coach of the Trojans. Very glad that he is still very involved with the program, and his expertise about a number of things even outside of basketball will be a great benefit.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

No one that I've seen is predicting a state title on here,this is the off season this is what people do ,talk about their upcoming season,go to summer ball games open gyms etc ,try to get a feel for what's coming up for the season, you sometimes get exited about what you see and talk about it . Go look at the football threads they go year round over there talking far more then here lol.

I do know the "Portsmouth" posters on here have nothing but respect for coach Collins he took over this program when it was at its worst and turned it around immediately he gave 14 years to this program and had a lot of success including back to back final fours ,and is still the last coach to "win" a game at the state level so no one is disrespecting him just because they talk about what Jeff Lisath wants to do ,I guarantee one thing both coach Collins and coach Lisath want the same thing . as Trojandave said it was good to see Collins still be involved with the program.

The recruiting talk is funny 🤣 so a couple "fans" not coaches,saying
" he would look good in red and blue" is considered recruiting? Lol

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

biggdowgg wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:49 am No one that I've seen is predicting a state title on here,this is the off season this is what people do ,talk about their upcoming season,go to summer ball games open gyms etc ,try to get a feel for what's coming up for the season, you sometimes get exited about what you see and talk about it . Go look at the football threads they go year round over there talking far more then here lol.

I do know the "Portsmouth" posters on here have nothing but respect for coach Collins he took over this program when it was at its worst and turned it around immediately he gave 14 years to this program and had a lot of success including back to back final fours ,and is still the last coach from southeastern Ohio to "win" a game at the state level so no one is disrespecting him just because they talk about what Jeff Lisath wants to do ,I guarantee one thing both coach Collins and coach Lisath want the same thing . as Trojandave said it was good to see Collins still be involved with the program.

The recruiting talk is funny 🤣 so a couple "fans" not coaches,saying
" he would look good in red and blue" is considered recruiting? Lol

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Pinwheel, did I strike a nerve? I didn't say that Portsmouth fans didn't have a right to be excited. We all know the program is not in a great place and could surely use it. My opinion was that much of what has been claimed is some smoke and mirrors. And, I'll call a spade a spade. TD and some others have exaggerated some of the goings on not simply because of their excitement but as an obvious recruiting ploy. The reality is, that Portsmouth is not winning a ton of games next year with their current roster. We all know it, which is why there was talk of getting kids in, and embellishing things to do so. I have also heard that they just got a couple of transfers from a local school. Wonder why and how? Why so cryptic on that topic in an earlier post.

Yes, many of the statements and insinuations were a direct knock on Coach Collins. Mask it all you want, they were. Is Lisath's coaching resume any better than Collin's? I would be curious to see them side by side. On that note, I am not bashing Lisath. jgordon, his resume (and Collin's) speaks very clearly for itself. My statements were based on what has gone on this summer.

They have not done anything or beaten anyone that they wouldn't have with Collins still coaching. They have played Greenup and Zane Trace multiple times this summer. ZT lost the farm. I would bet Greenup has many baseball guys not consistently showing up. That summer record has been against a less than quality lineup. Why didn't Portsmouth go to a team camp this summer? Why hasn't their jv team competed a lot this summer? Has Lisath been to the jv events to watch the young Trojans? I haven't seen the jv team play the same style you were referring to the varsity Trojans playing. Why not?

Those are my observations and opinions. I wouldn't consider it a fantastic summer season by any stretch in comparison with many of the other solid programs in the area.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:49 am Pinwheel, did I strike a nerve? I didn't say that Portsmouth fans didn't have a right to be excited. We all know the program is not in a great place and could surely use it. My opinion was that much of what has been claimed is some smoke and mirrors. And, I'll call a spade a spade. TD and some others have exaggerated some of the goings on not simply because of their excitement but as an obvious recruiting ploy. The reality is, that Portsmouth is not winning a ton of games next year with their current roster. We all know it, which is why there was talk of getting kids in, and embellishing things to do so. I have also heard that they just got a couple of transfers from a local school. Wonder why and how? Why so cryptic on that topic in an earlier post.

Yes, many of the statements and insinuations were a direct knock on Coach Collins. Mask it all you want, they were. Is Lisath's coaching resume any better than Collin's? I would be curious to see them side by side. On that note, I am not bashing Lisath. jgordon, his resume (and Collin's) speaks very clearly for itself. My statements were based on what has gone on this summer.

They have not done anything or beaten anyone that they wouldn't have with Collins still coaching. They have played Greenup and Zane Trace multiple times this summer. ZT lost the farm. I would bet Greenup has many baseball guys not consistently showing up. That summer record has been against a less than quality lineup. Why didn't Portsmouth go to a team camp this summer? Why hasn't their jv team competed a lot this summer? Has Lisath been to the jv events to watch the young Trojans? I haven't seen the jv team play the same style you were referring to the varsity Trojans playing. Why not?

Those are my observations and opinions. I wouldn't consider it a fantastic summer season by any stretch in comparison with many of the other solid programs in the area.

You like to leave out a lot of details to get your point across and it’s quite obvious. You mention Greenup & ZT. Have to put a caveat with GC probably having baseball guys not there as if the Trojans were fully there? You fail to mention Chillicothe or any of the teams played in Indiana. I am 100% positive you haven’t (you may after this post) looked up how good those teams were last season or are expected to be this season. The Trojans were also scheduled to go to Columbus and that didn’t happen but let’s not pretend it wasn’t supposed to and that they wouldn’t have won any games. The roster is fine as is, could definitely win some games and improve upon last season. Berry & Breech both have put in a lot of work since last season and it’s showing big time. If kids choose to move in then that just adds to the roster that is very capable of winning a lot of games. You think TD and others getting on here and posting about their excitement is a recruiting ploy? It’s the summer dude, how many 15-18 year old kids are sitting around during the summer reading SEOP and saying oh the Portsmouth faithful say they’ll be good I need to join. If kids want to join it’s because they can sense the positive culture change and want to be coached by Lisath. I’ll say it once again. Coach Collins was a great coach. He did a lot for the school and the community. He took the Trojans back to the promise land. But that doesn’t last forever. His last several years were not great. My personal opinion is that the energy wasn’t there. The Reims was the same and sometimes that goes stale. Look what happened in football. Clifford was there forever, had some great teams and won a lot of games. Then he didn’t. Change isn’t always a bad thing guy. Sometimes it’s needed to move forward, it was needed here. Lisath is a different coach, people are excited for different, no bashing Gene it’s just facts, facts you for some reason can’t accept. For someone to have SOC in their screen name you sure are pretty focused on the Trojans. Maybe you’re jealous? What you are is an absolute moron, I do know that.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Socsportsfan1

No nerve struck here from the likes of you lmao I know who you are and what you're about you definitely would call a spade a spade? You seem very upset over kids transferring or as you call it recruiting . You been under a rock or sumpin? read all the other non trojan threads and you might need some new meds with all the transfers or recruiting you see going on lmao .
You seem to be a little jealous of all the attention new coach is getting trying to twist sh!t .one other thing I notice is on the transfer/ recruiting thingy . You really seem to have a problem with it just recently?
Now you have a good day and feel real good about yourself while all that jealousy of Portsmouth hate burns up inside you so much you have to vent on a high school website on the inter web ,but hey,you still have __________ naw I won't go there lol______ yet

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

This whole recruiting thing is wild. Nobody is recruiting kids to come play basketball at Portsmouth. If kids are coming or want to that’s because of the coaching change. Maybe they see more PT, maybe they view Lisath as a better coach, who knows. With that said I think the Trojan faithful don’t want to talk about kids moving in because they don’t want it to get blown out of proportion like the Ironton & Burg football threads. Why post that so and so from said school moved in or are interested in moving in when you’ll just get hounded with the claim of recruiting going on?

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coach Lisath's Playing/Coaching record to date:

1.Won the 1978 State Title With Portsmouth Trojans......all time leading scorer in PHS state tournament history with 40 points in Final 4(2 games)
2.6th Leading Scorer in PHS history with 1,256 points.....22 points in 1978 state championship game (PHS school record)
3.Starter on Miami University Basketball Team
4.Columbus State.......59-9 (thanks to Jgordon0315)
5.Chillicothe Girls.......Regionals in 1st season after 11 straight losing seasons (jgordon0315)
6.Unioto Boys............39-27 in 3 years......won school's only sectional title from 1997--2011(uniotobasketball.weebly.com)
7.Piketon Boys...........118-54.....three 20+win seasons....Final 4 in 2009.....only Final 4 in school history (Max Preps)
8.Dayton Northridge....won 3 district titles from 2014--2023.....school had never won even a sectional in 75 years
9.Portsmouth Boys......0-0 but feel pretty good based on his history about our chances of "Returning to Prominence"

Cruise
Waterboy

Post by Cruise »

Socsportsfan, you jealous about the Portsmouth girls team too? Heard they have several girls interested in playing for the Lady Trojans next year.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Results from the 1st day of the Portsmouth Shootout:

Portsmouth 38, Portsmouth West 24.....West jumped to a 5-0 lead, Trojans took control after that
Dayton Northridge 42, Portsmouth 34.....3 turnovers late led to a 6-0 Northridge run to seal the win
Zane Trace 36, Portsmouth 33.....Pioneers made 2 FT's with 15 seconds to play to win......PHS had defeated ZT at Chillicothe

West lost to Portsmouth, beat Zane Trace, lost to Dayton Northridge
Zane Trace lost to Dayton Northridge, lost to West, beat Portsmouth
Northridge went undefeated vs. PHS, West, and Zane Trace

Biggest takeaways for the Trojans: the work of Noah Livingston and Luke Stine on the boards. Not only did they rebound well, but showed some good offense as well. Jayden Brewer and Tyreke Lewis played well off the bench.

Coach Lisath subbed liberally in the West and ZT games, and played about 7 players vs. Northridge. The Polar Bears are super quick and relentless on defense. Nobody in the SE district has the quickness of Northridge.

Today's results will be posted later today or tomorrow unless someone else does it (biggdowgg or jgordon0315).

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Results from the final day of the Portsmouth Shootout:

South Webster 41, Portsmouth 38
Portsmouth 51, Dayton Northridge 45......by far Portsmouth's best game of the 2 day shootout
South Webster 32, Portsmouth 22
Dayton Northridge 44, Portsmouth 24

Dayton Northridge 51, South Webster 34
Dayton Northridge 48, South Webster 35

Trojans go 1-3, with the only win vs. Northridge, which was Northridge's only loss in 2 days (6-1 overall). PHS went 2-5 overall, with their only other win was vs. Portsmouth West.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Thanks for the updates Dave. Not the results one would hope for the Trojans but any work is good work. Will definitely build towards December.

Who Dey!
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Not a lot of wins but a lot of positives over these two days ,the one that stands out to me is the play by our two bigs ""bug for us anyway " lol,Noah Livingston,and Luke Stine played some Really good basketball and we will need that out of the both of them this year to be successful.

Return to “Boys Basketball”