OHSAA MaxPreps RPI To Be Used For Basketball Seeding, Also Tennis and Soccer Updates

radiodavel
JV Team

OHSAA MaxPreps RPI To Be Used For Basketball Seeding, Also Tennis and Soccer Updates

Post by radiodavel »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2023 ... er-updates

Jackie Moon
Riding the Bench

Re: OHSAA MaxPreps RPI To Be Used For Basketball Seeding, Also Tennis and Soccer Updates

Post by Jackie Moon »

Honestly the SE District should use PFloyd’s rankings!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: OHSAA MaxPreps RPI To Be Used For Basketball Seeding, Also Tennis and Soccer Updates

Post by pfloyd »

MaxPreps???!!!!! they can't even get rosters, coach's names etc correct ... not a fan of any info on MaxPreps ...

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:44 pm MaxPreps???!!!!! they can't even get rosters, coach's names etc correct ... not a fan of any info on MaxPreps ...
Agreed, not a fan of it but I will say as a head coach I am responsible for updating it (schedules, scores, etc). The problem I've noticed doing it over the past few years is that each school has access to it so a score can be put in wrong, a game put in twice (which happens often), etc. We'll have to pay extra attention to that this winter. I've kept it updated over the past few years and learned how to use it, I still think it's not the way to go but OHSAA likes that $

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

I personally thought Martin RPI was the better way to go. I think moving away from the coaches vote is a good move because too many coaches voted in ways to try and help their situation instead of voting how teams should be seeded.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

This year OHSAA moved away from arbiterlive.com and to maxpreps. Coaches/ADs are supposed to keep schedules and scores updated on Maxpreps. We'll see how it goes.

Post by muskiefan11 »

I think going to RPI for seeding is a good thing for high school hoops. Although I’m not sure the seeding will end up being much different than with coaches voting, I think it will probably make the seeding more accurate.

I don’t know a ton about Maxpreps rating system but like caldwellbasketball said it seems like there could be some issues with Maxpreps. I felt that Martin RPI should have been used, but money talks. On the bright side if Maxpreps doesn’t work, they can always make the switch to Martin!

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

I want to see SEDAB switch what East District does with seeding. Their seeding isn't NCAA bracket seeding. Seeding only specifies the order which coaches choose their spot on the bracket.

I agree with what many have said, I would much prefer the use of Martin RPI over Maxpreps.

Post by caldwellbasketball »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:25 pm I want to see SEDAB switch what East District does with seeding. Their seeding isn't NCAA bracket seeding. Seeding only specifies the order which coaches choose their spot on the bracket.

I agree with what many have said, I would much prefer the use of Martin RPI over Maxpreps.
In the east district we've been a super sectional (all 16-18 schools in the district) for a decade. You pick your path. Sometimes makes for an interesting draw as you put your team on the board where you want and the top 4 seeds can pass as many times as they want, 5 and up have to go on when it's their turn. I saw Rosecrans get seeded higher than Hiland a few years ago, pass and then went on board in the same sectional as Hiland since the higher seed hosted, it backfired lol. My only issue with Maxpreps is it traditionally hasn't been organized. Also, it will penalize teams with tougher schedules, I anticipate it ranking Hiland who will have a ridiculous schedule lower than they should be as "easy" wins will still likely count for more than tough losses. I know someone mentioned with Martin RPI last winter if it had been used the previous year Taft HS would have been a 6 seed in the SW district in D3 because of their schedule and they were state champs that year. They knew they were the best team in the state and were still going on the bracket wherever they wanted no matter what an RPI said they were. Hopefully it works well, at the end of the day it all gets decided on the court!

Return to “Boys Basketball”