Vinton County 73 Zane Trace 60 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Vinton County 73 Zane Trace 60 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County 73
Zane Trace 60 a final

... took my first trip down Rt 93 to McArthur last night to see Coach Nj Kight's Vinton County Vikings... the Vikings are at #5 in the Pfloyd Elite 8 Preseason rankings ... VC was taking on Coach Kellough's Zane Trace Pioneers out of the SVC ... a good matchup in any year imo - I personally wanted to get eyes on the Vikings to see if my preseason thinking about what VC had coming into this season was correct ... size - down on the block Owen Hire/Ashton Allman - check ... perimeter scoring - a whole host of outside shooters led by the smooth stroke of sr. Garrett Brown (33 points last night/6 triples) ... ballhandling - PG Cobra Sharp handles the biggest part of running the show but 3-4 players get it done ... depth - VC goes 10 deep with little drop-off at either end of the floor/Coach Kight has no hesitation in going to his bench, with a regular rotation in keeping everyone fresh & on the floor while applying on ball pressure on the defensive end ... defense - in your face/physical/tenacious "on ball pressure" for 32 minutes ... varsity experience - for the Vikes 4/5 starters are seniors/ 6 of the 10 man rotation are seniors - not the first rodeo for this group ... I came away satisfied with where I had Vinton County in the rankings- definitely a top 8 TEAM ... VC wasn't tested last Saturday as they played Logan in the opening game for both teams - VC put up a running clock situation on the Chiefs winning easily 55-26 ... I looked to see more of a game from Zane Trace last night - and I was right ... Coach K usually has size in the paint and across the front lines but the 2023-24 edition of the Pioneers is not the size blessed squad we are accustom to seeing at ZT ... BUT they are talented, quick guards on the perimeter , starting with jr. PG Landen Jarrell - does everything you want from the PG position - handles the ball under pressure, distributes the ball, penetrates - dishes or finishes at the rim, shoots the ball extremely well from the perimeter (4 treys last night/ 21 points) ... running mate Ezra Rippeth is outstanding, great on the ball defender, handles the ball well - finished with 11 pts in 2 qtrs/1 trey ... depth for ZT is an issue ... not a lot of experience , Noah Huston jr. has good length, good instincts/athletic - needs to adjust to the varsity game (speed/strength of opposition... 5 pts off the bench)/ Gunnar McCullough soph. will learn every game out, another good athlete/5 pts off the bench ...

... Vinton County led at all quarter stops, but the Vikes were challenged in every quarter, with ZT staying within 2 possessions all night going into the 4th period ... the turning point that gave VC separation was a player technical at the beginning of the 4th qtr. Garrett Brown was fouled on a shot attempt in the paint - foul & technical called ... Brown made all 4 FTs/VC got the ball out of bounds - the sharp-shooting swing forward drained a triple from the corner - 7 point play in one possession for VC ... Zane Trace never recovered from that possession as they had to foul throughout the 4th period ... VC went 14/15 from the charity stripe in the 4th qtr. led by Brown's 4/4 from the line and 2 triples/Ashton Allman added 4/4 from the line as well ... for ZT, Landen Jarrell added 3 three pointers in the period ... Vinton County 73 Zane Trace 60 a final ...

Vinton County ..... 18 ... 34 ... 51 ... 73
Zane Trace ......... 13 ... 29 ... 43 ... 60

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Zane Trace

Scoring ... Landen Jarrell 21, Ezra Rippeth 11, Landon Robinson 10, Brock Jarrell 6, Gunnar McCullough 5, Noah Huston 5, Carter Lanley 2
3 Pointers ... 10/20 ... Landen Jarrell 4, Brock Jarrell 2, Landon Robinson 2, Noah Huston 1, Ezra Rippeth 1
FTs ... 6/8
TOs ... 14
PnP ... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Vinton County

Scoring ... Garrett Brown 33, Ashton Allman 14, Cobra Sharp 11, Owen Hire 9, Hayden Reynolds 4, Ian Mohler 2
3 Pointers ... 7/10 ... Garrett Brown 6, Owen Hire 1
FTs ... 24/29
TOs... 11
PnP ... 12 fgs/ 24 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 3 fgs/ 6 points on putback buckets
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Vinton County 73 Zane Trace 60 a final

Post by danicalifornia »

17 for 30 from 3 for the game? Dang, that’s some shooting

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Vinton County 73 Zane Trace 60 a final

Post by Dundas »

Great write up Floyd! I covered ZT tournament run last year for BMG and Landon Jarrell was a big part of that as a sophomore. Losing Ream and Stonerock will hurt for sure but this team had a lot of young pieces last year and should have another great season.

VC can play inside and outside which should help this year. Expectations are high in VC but when aren’t they? Vikings have some pretty big tests this year outside if the TVC Ohio. Big matchups against ZT (last Tuesday), Marietta, Jackson, Chillicothe, McClain, and small school powers South Webster Federal Hocking to name a few.

Return to “Boys Basketball”