Officiating!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Officiating!

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

I have several of my friends who are darn good officials that are ready to give it all up. The negativity and the blame that we all receive is ridiculous. It’s 90% the officials fault for the lack of ability, lack of being able to dribble, lack of scoring, lack of playing defense, lack of blocking out, etc…. We have less than a second on every infraction that we see to make the call. Do we all miss calls? Yes. Do we get most correct? Yes. Are we there to favor, cheat for one team or another? No. We are there to manage and enforce rules that we are given. Do we get punished for not applying rules? Yes we do. We have tournament games taken from us if we mess up. We are evaluated by coaches, AD’s, other officials, assignors, southeast district board members and state board members. Quit blaming officials for the inefficiencies of the players who are trying to play the game.
Officiating the game of basketball is about being at the right angle, being at the right spot, trusting your partners, calling in your area, knowing the rules and when to punish for breaking a rule. Is there contact in the game? Yes. Do we punish for every contact that happens? No. We are supposed to call a violation/foul if an advantage is gained by either the offense or defense by breaking a rule. We try so hard to be consistent on both ends of the floor. If it was so easy to do, you all would be there to help us call your kids/grandkids games. So many of you are destroying the game and hurting your kids for taking up for there deficiencies. Let them suffer for the consequences they have brought onto themselves.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Re: Officiating!

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

1) over the back——not in the rule book
2) reaching in—-not in the rule book
What is the rule for having an over and back at the mid court line? All three things have to come across the division line ( ball, left foot and right foot) when coming from back court. I’d then they step on line or dribble on line then it is a violation. If the team who is in control of the ball in the front court is the last to touch the ball when it goes into the back court it is a violation. If the defense tips, knocks, inadvertently kicks or touches the ball last into the front court then the offensive team can then go get it without violation.
What is the rule for a player control foul (block or charge)? First, a defensive player does not have to be set. The defensive player has verticality from their body and arms to ceiling, if the offensive team breaks that plane with contact then you have a player control foul (charge). If the defender moves under a player who has already left the floor then it should be a block call.
The backboard, the ball is live if it hits the top or both sides of the backboard. If it hits the back or bottom then it is a dead ball violation. If it hits a pole or rope or belt above or behind the backboard then it is a violation.
3 seconds, if an offensive player is in the lane for more than 3 seconds and gains an advantage then a violation shall be called.
There are so many more that we hear every night that fans, some players and even some coaches don’t know the rule to.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

I’ve been to around 15 games this season. I have seen 1 game where the fans of one team (girls) were completely out of line, ref just continued to ignore the shrill women and then late in the game their team got the calls it appeared. I’ve never seen such directed yelling be allowed to remain in the stands.

I’ve yet to see the fans get heated at a boys game towards any official.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Sounds like the ramblings of someone wanting attention or something. Most fans around here might yell at close calls it’s going to happen, let’s not make it sound like they’re the downfall of officiating. You posted it on here where maybe 12 ppl actually post who might’ve complained. Do you really think placing deficiencies on players is the way an official should go?? Instead of owning a bad call you want to blame a 16 yr old for his skill level?? Truly a pathetic post not even directed at the ppl you want to say it to, next time stop the game hop on the mic and explain things to the fans.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:28 am Sounds like the ramblings of someone wanting attention or something. Most fans around here might yell at close calls it’s going to happen, let’s not make it sound like they’re the downfall of officiating. You posted it on here where maybe 12 ppl actually post who might’ve complained. Do you really think placing deficiencies on players is the way an official should go?? Instead of owning a bad call you want to blame a 16 yr old for his skill level?? Truly a pathetic post not even directed at the ppl you want to say it to, next time stop the game hop on the mic and explain things to the fans.
Great post! Thank you. The same guy makes the same post every year. I’m glad someone else finally spoke up besides me. If I was as miserable as he appears to be I’d find something else to do. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
LoyalOak
Waterboy

Post by LoyalOak »

I was beside the student section this year at a game when a ref kicked a kid out for telling him he sucked at his job. If a child got under your skin that easily then you must know you were in the wrong and indeed do suck at your job.
That being said I’ve seen some iffy officiating this year but only one just really really awful game.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:31 pm I have several of my friends who are darn good officials that are ready to give it all up. The negativity and the blame that we all receive is ridiculous. It’s 90% the officials fault for the lack of ability, lack of being able to dribble, lack of scoring, lack of playing defense, lack of blocking out, etc…. We have less than a second on every infraction that we see to make the call. Do we all miss calls? Yes. Do we get most correct? Yes. Are we there to favor, cheat for one team or another? No. We are there to manage and enforce rules that we are given. Do we get punished for not applying rules? Yes we do. We have tournament games taken from us if we mess up. We are evaluated by coaches, AD’s, other officials, assignors, southeast district board members and state board members. Quit blaming officials for the inefficiencies of the players who are trying to play the game.
Officiating the game of basketball is about being at the right angle, being at the right spot, trusting your partners, calling in your area, knowing the rules and when to punish for breaking a rule. Is there contact in the game? Yes. Do we punish for every contact that happens? No. We are supposed to call a violation/foul if an advantage is gained by either the offense or defense by breaking a rule. We try so hard to be consistent on both ends of the floor. If it was so easy to do, you all would be there to help us call your kids/grandkids games. So many of you are destroying the game and hurting your kids for taking up for there deficiencies. Let them suffer for the consequences they have brought onto themselves.
You again. Geez. We have to listen to this dribble very year. You and your buddies should do us all a favor and quit. Personally I wish you would because it would let me fill up my calendar of games better. I am immune to such tactics as the stomp and stare so I certainly wouldn’t let some old lady bother me.

OhioSportsGuyMike
Waterboy

Post by OhioSportsGuyMike »

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

LoyalOak wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:33 am I was beside the student section this year at a game when a ref kicked a kid out for telling him he sucked at his job. If a child got under your skin that easily then you must know you were in the wrong and indeed do suck at your job.
That being said I’ve seen some iffy officiating this year but only one just really really awful game.
I wasn’t there but if it was direct then I’m ok with the ejection. Can’t just say whatever you want. There are many factors in this happening that can sway my thoughts one way or the other. If the ref is on the sideline near student section and kid draws the attention of the ref and tells him he sucks, get out.

HatTrick
Riding the Bench

Post by HatTrick »

It will be quite hilarious when the officials actually do quit, and you all have no one to officiate your kid's game. He's simply warning you that they are scarce on officials so it's time to take a chill pill.

You dummies don't have the sack to go out there on a friday night and make calls- so don't poke fun @ the post.

If there's no officials, and games are cancelled; how will your local 5'10/18 in vertical jimmies and joes be scouted by wilmington college, daymar college, le cordon bleu etc. Signing days will be bleak in SEO

Trans_State69
Waterboy

Post by Trans_State69 »

HatTrick wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:51 am It will be quite hilarious when the officials actually do quit, and you all have no one to officiate your kid's game. He's simply warning you that they are scarce on officials so it's time to take a chill pill.

You dummies don't have the sack to go out there on a friday night and make calls- so don't poke fun @ the post.

If there's no officials, and games are cancelled; how will your local 5'10/18 in vertical jimmies and joes be scouted by wilmington college, daymar college, le cordon bleu etc. Signing days will be bleak in SEO
What will Hocking College ever do? These kids can’t play around the rim anyway.

HatTrick
Riding the Bench

Post by HatTrick »

Trans_State69 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:57 am
HatTrick wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:51 am It will be quite hilarious when the officials actually do quit, and you all have no one to officiate your kid's game. He's simply warning you that they are scarce on officials so it's time to take a chill pill.

What will Hocking College ever do? These kids can’t play around the rim anyway.
Forest management & Aquaculture degrees will be almost extinct. Be careful what you wish for people-domino effect.

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

It doesn’t take much of a sack to ref. Nor does it take much of a sack, or any sack at all in your case, to get on here and make fun of local kids. What does take a sack is to not come on here and cry the blues looking for attention and support after someone says some mean things to you while you’re reffing. You do realize that that guy gets on here and cries the same sad story every year don’t you? It’s just that finally some people who have a sack are telling him how soft and sorry he is for belly aching on here.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Someone needs to come up with a definitive divide between a block and a charge, or excuse me since we’re not using layman terms here, an offensive player control foul. I haven’t seen hardly any consistency in how it’s called one way or the other. Two identical plays back to back could be two different calls.

And yes there absolutely are some people out there reffing who have no business doing it. Same as any other job that has people in the trade that shouldn’t be in it.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Did you really need to make up another user name to post?? Couldn’t sack up with the same one, starting to realize where the problems start at that’s for sure.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 pm Someone needs to come up with a definitive divide between a block and a charge, or excuse me since we’re not using layman terms here, an offensive player control foul. I haven’t seen hardly any consistency in how it’s called one way or the other. Two identical plays back to back could be two different calls.

And yes there absolutely are some people out there reffing who have no business doing it. Same as any other job that has people in the trade that shouldn’t be in it.
Oh I was at one game where they called a “team” foul. There were 2 ppl by the ball handler so instead of giving the 4th foul to a player they reversed it and said team foul. lol, ppl asked the announcer after the game his response in 14 yrs I’ve never heard of such a thing. Bad calls are going to happen, ppl in the stands are going to get mad officials need to understand that some in the stands know what to look for and they had a better point of view. Can’t handle it move on or just start kicking everyone out who upsets you. Problem with lack of officials is one you need thick skin most younger generations don’t have that and 2 is money I mean these guys and gals make nothing want better pay better.

Billy T Kid
Riding the Bench

Post by Billy T Kid »

These officials need to stop whining and start focusing on the rules of the game. Hell half of these guys can’t keep pace with the players and that’s why they struggle to make a correct call!

Lovehoops2
Waterboy

Post by Lovehoops2 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:21 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 pm Someone needs to come up with a definitive divide between a block and a charge, or excuse me since we’re not using layman terms here, an offensive player control foul. I haven’t seen hardly any consistency in how it’s called one way or the other. Two identical plays back to back could be two different calls.

Oh I was at one game where they called a “team” foul. There were 2 ppl by the ball handler so instead of giving the 4th foul to a player they reversed it and said team foul. lol, ppl asked the announcer after the game his response in 14 yrs I’ve never heard of such a thing. Bad calls are going to happen, ppl in the stands are going to get mad officials need to understand that some in the stands know what to look for and they had a better point of view. Can’t handle it move on or just start kicking everyone out who upsets you. Problem with lack of officials is one you need thick skin most younger generations don’t have that and 2 is money I mean these guys and gals make nothing want better pay better.
You are a idoit if you think fans aren’t a problem it clearly is especially the stuff that goes on at certain schools sending threats to refs just because they called a foul on there kid maybe the fans need thicker skin and stop being soft. Also I do agree some refs aren’t the best but at least there out there doing the games and not backing down and why mention the younger generation? There are a lot of younger officials and they do pretty well even remember swanker giving one credit for dealing with Portsmouth fans.

Lovehoops2
Waterboy

Post by Lovehoops2 »

Billy T Kid wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:43 pm These officials need to stop whining and start focusing on the rules of the game. Hell half of these guys can’t keep pace with the players and that’s why they struggle to make a correct call!
You are a idoit😂

Billy T Kid
Riding the Bench

Post by Billy T Kid »

Lovehoops2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:55 pm
Billy T Kid wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:43 pm These officials need to stop whining and start focusing on the rules of the game. Hell half of these guys can’t keep pace with the players and that’s why they struggle to make a correct call!
You are a idoit😂
And you are a keyboard warrior!

Return to “Boys Basketball”