West Union (3-11)

...Teams on the End Table ...

Green (2-10)
Portsmouth Clay (2-10)
Ripley (3-11)
Portsmouth East (3-5)

Miller (5-8)
Alexander (0-13)
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #7

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Figured green would have a decent season. 2-10 now. Is the Knapp kid still scoring 25ppg?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’d personally move the whole SVC down a good bit besides Unioto (they are fine where they are) and I’d move Zane Trace up a bit. I know ZT is 0-6 in the non conference, but they are significantly better than the rest of the league with Jarrell back, besides Unioto. It was a coin flip last time, so I feel like they are fairly even.

Tuesday’s game should be a good one at Unioto.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

New Lex, 13-2 just beat Tri-Valley on the road yesterday. The same TV who beat Upper Arlington last week and beat JG by 30. the same JG who beat your #1 Marietta by double figures. NL two losses came by a bucket on the road @ JG in early December and to a really good Big Walnut squad without one of their big 2 guard duo Hansen. They should def be top 8, an argument could be made for #1 as TV is better than anyone on this list

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

redskinwitness wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:01 pm New Lex, 13-2 just beat Tri-Valley on the road yesterday. The same TV who beat Upper Arlington last week and beat JG by 30. the same JG who beat your #1 Marietta by double figures. NL two losses came by a bucket on the road @ JG in early December and to a really good Big Walnut squad without one of their big 2 guard duo Hansen. They should def be top 8, an argument could be made for #1 as TV is better than anyone on this list
I'd like to learn more about New Lex. I only show five more games for them before seeding cutoff (Feb. 9). If you look at opponent's won-loss record for the rest of the season, New Lex has the easiest schedule of any D-II contenders and may not lose again. Every other team in the Southeast district in D-II faces teams with an overall winning percentage at or above .500, except for New Lex. Some of them like Miami Trace and Marietta way above .600. My point is I agree with you New Lex should be higher now and have every chance to finish No. 1 in the overall district seeding in February.

--Can you provide an outline of their top 6 or 7 payers, including height and year and grade? Thanks.

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:51 pm
redskinwitness wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:01 pm New Lex, 13-2 just beat Tri-Valley on the road yesterday. The same TV who beat Upper Arlington last week and beat JG by 30. the same JG who beat your #1 Marietta by double figures. NL two losses came by a bucket on the road @ JG in early December and to a really good Big Walnut squad without one of their big 2 guard duo Hansen. They should def be top 8, an argument could be made for #1 as TV is better than anyone on this list
I'd like to learn more about New Lex. I only show five more games for them before seeding cutoff (Feb. 9). If you look at opponent's won-loss record for the rest of the season, New Lex has the easiest schedule of any D-II contenders and may not lose again. Every other team in the Southeast district in D-II faces teams with an overall winning percentage at or above .500, except for New Lex. Some of them like Miami Trace and Marietta way above .600. My point is I agree with you New Lex should be higher now and have every chance to finish No. 1 in the overall district seeding in February.

--Can you provide an outline of their top 6 or 7 payers, including height and year and grade? Thanks.
Top 2 are junior guards Isaiah Stephens, and Bentley Hanson. Both started on last year’s district runner-up team. Stephens is the reigning MVL Small School POTY. Both are threats to each get 30 a night. Supporting cast isn’t great, but are solid role players. NL has an identity of slowing the game down and making you beat them in the HC. They are well-coached, play hard, and have Zero Seniors in the program.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

muskiefan11 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:33 pm

Top 2 are junior guards Isaiah Stephens, and Bentley Hanson. Both started on last year’s district runner-up team. Stephens is the reigning MVL Small School POTY. Both are threats to each get 30 a night. Supporting cast isn’t great, but are solid role players. NL has an identity of slowing the game down and making you beat them in the HC. They are well-coached, play hard, and have Zero Seniors in the program.
Helpful. Could someone provide height and grade for each of the top 6 or 7 players. Provides a little additional context/feel for matchups.

Softball5
Waterboy

Post by Softball5 »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:19 pm

Helpful. Could someone provide height and grade for each of the top 6 or 7 players. Provides a little additional context/feel for matchups.
New Lexington Roster
Jerek Braglin - 6’2 - Senior*
Bentley Hanson - 5’10 - Junior*
Malakye Thresher - 6’3 - Junior
Isaiah Stephens - 6’1 - Junior*
Corey Adam - 5’8 - Junior
Sam Rupe - 6’7 - Sophomore
Paul Stenson - 6’2 - Sophomore
Lane Ratliff - 5’9 Freshman*
Elijah Stephens - 6’3 Freshman*
*Started vs Tri Valley

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Softball5 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:59 pm
Hookshot wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:19 pm

New Lexington Roster
Jerek Braglin - 6’2 - Senior*
Bentley Hanson - 5’10 - Junior*
Malakye Thresher - 6’3 - Junior
Isaiah Stephens - 6’1 - Junior*
Corey Adam - 5’8 - Junior
Sam Rupe - 6’7 - Sophomore
Paul Stenson - 6’2 - Sophomore
Lane Ratliff - 5’9 Freshman*
Elijah Stephens - 6’3 Freshman*
*Started vs Tri Valley
Stephens scored all 18 points for New Lex in the 4th quarter to help get them this critical victory, according to the Times-Recorder.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:42 pm Figured green would have a decent season. 2-10 now. Is the Knapp kid still scoring 25ppg?
Green can't handle pressure, can't shoot that well overall, and either don't listen or are not that well coached can't tell on that one yet.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

New Lex’s opponents have a winning percentage of 50.8%, while Marietta’s opponents have a winning percentage of 44.1%.

https://www.ohsaa.org/MaxPreps-RPI/Gend ... Basketball go to DII and then Southeast. It’s all on there.

Only 1 school in the SE has even played a schedule that has opponents % over 60 and that’s Gallia Academy (63.9%). Unioto is the next closest at 56.5%, and I wouldn’t say it’s a gauntlet, especially back into league play, which is why they’ll be at best like a 7.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:47 am

New Lex’s opponents have a winning percentage of 50.8%, while Marietta’s opponents have a winning percentage of 44.1%.

https://www.ohsaa.org/MaxPreps-RPI/Gend ... Basketball go to DII and then Southeast. It’s all on there.

Only 1 school in the SE has even played a schedule that has opponents % over 60 and that’s Gallia Academy (63.9%). Unioto is the next closest at 56.5%, and I wouldn’t say it’s a gauntlet, especially back into league play, which is why they’ll be at best like a 7.
I've been on the OHSAA RPI website plenty of times. I was looking at games REMAINING for the top 8 teams in the D-II Southeast district and the OWP the rest of pre-seeding season for those 8 teams. Assuming posted schedules are accurate, New Lex's remaining opponents have a winning percentage of .400 (by far lowest in the district). Marietta's opponents are at .659, second-highest to Miami Trace's .803. My point is New Lex has a very good record now and has a real chance at finishing with the best record in the D-II district.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

I'm missing just one key game that could be rescheduled that involves top D-II Southeast district teams -- Washington Court House vs. Jackson. Anyone know if this has been determined as yet? The Washington Court House school district website says "canceled" and Jackson's does not have a new date either. Maybe they are not going to play this one?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:45 am
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:47 am

I've been on the OHSAA RPI website plenty of times. I was looking at games REMAINING for the top 8 teams in the D-II Southeast district and the OWP the rest of pre-seeding season for those 8 teams. Assuming posted schedules are accurate, New Lex's remaining opponents have a winning percentage of .400 (by far lowest in the district). Marietta's opponents are at .659, second-highest to Miami Trace's .803. My point is New Lex has a very good record now and has a real chance at finishing with the best record in the D-II district.
That makes sense, especially when I re-read the original post. My apologies on that.

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:35 am I'm missing just one key game that could be rescheduled that involves top D-II Southeast district teams -- Washington Court House vs. Jackson. Anyone know if this has been determined as yet? The Washington Court House school district website says "canceled" and Jackson's does not have a new date either. Maybe they are not going to play this one?
This was just rescheduled this afternoon... 2/13 in Jackson.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

bc181700 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:53 pm
Hookshot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:35 am I'm missing just one key game that could be rescheduled that involves top D-II Southeast district teams -- Washington Court House vs. Jackson. Anyone know if this has been determined as yet? The Washington Court House school district website says "canceled" and Jackson's does not have a new date either. Maybe they are not going to play this one?
This was just rescheduled this afternoon... 2/13 in Jackson.
Good scheduling move in my judgement by WCH, getting past the Feb. 9 cutoff.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Game of the year in the SHAC this Friday night in Leesburg between Fairfield and North Adams.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

i believe NL plays at a very good Maysville squad tomorrow and still has another one with Coshocton who is good as well. They’ll likely win out in all other games.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

redskinwitness wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:09 pm i believe NL plays at a very good Maysville squad tomorrow and still has another one with Coshocton who is good as well. They’ll likely win out in all other games.
I think the issue is games prior to the OHSAA seeding deadline — the Coshocton game is after that.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:53 pm
redskinwitness wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:09 pm i believe NL plays at a very good Maysville squad tomorrow and still has another one with Coshocton who is good as well. They’ll likely win out in all other games.
I think the issue is games prior to the OHSAA seeding deadline — the Coshocton game is after that.
I don’t get the seeding deadline at this point. Just make deadline 11:59 pm on Saturday. The website literally updates on the OHSAA site each time a game is entered and approved. So, it would take literal minutes, giving the most games possible to have a number for teams.

But, that’s not happening for this year and it drives me kinda nuts.

Return to “Boys Basketball”