SEOP

Re: Unioto Chasing History

Post by Valenth »

Unioto is a well rounded team

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Unioto breaks the SVC record with 33 straight league game victories. You heard that right. 33 straight games.

I went to the game tonight to watch history. This was my first time watching Unioto play this year. This team can be special. Tonight the played HORRIBLE defense. I guess when you beat teams by 30+ you don't have to play much defense. Tonight, against a good Westfall team that showed. Westfall penetrated and dished all.night.long for triples.
This team is special, and young. 3 of the 5 starters are sophomores. Crazy. I hope they make a run. I want to watch them go for a district/regional title in the convo.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

Rabeanos0512 wrote:Unioto breaks the SVC record with 33 straight league game victories. You heard that right. 33 straight games.

I went to the game tonight to watch history. This was my first time watching Unioto play this year. This team can be special. Tonight the played HORRIBLE defense. I guess when you beat teams by 30+ you don't have to play much defense. Tonight, against a good Westfall team that showed. Westfall penetrated and dished all.night.long for triples.
This team is special, and young. 3 of the 5 starters are sophomores. Crazy. I hope they make a run. I want to watch them go for a district/regional title in the convo.
Very inaccurate assessment of Unioto's defense. The reason they win by 30 is because their defense results in most of their offense. Credit to Westfall's offense for giving Unioto a game.

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Wrong. When you beat a team by 40 it has little to do with game planning and defensive execution. It has to do with the fact that your team is THAT good. Hoops could sit on the bench and do little coaching against most of the SVC. Their one true opponent so made it close because unioto did not make any defensive adjustments. Matter of fact, because they didn't make any it got closer and closer and closer.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Yep, when you give up less than 40 points in 5 out of 7 games, you're usually playing poor defense and have no gameplan at all.

Westfall knocked down some shots and used solid guard play to never get out of the game, even though it never got closer than 5 after the first 2 minutes. The Shermans played poor defensively tonight, but a lot of that credit goes to Corey Wyman and his ability to penetrate. The backside rotation on the zone was poor, while it had been excellent in the previous games. Westfall rebounded really well for their size as well. I'm excited for the rematch at the Dome.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Congrats to the Shermans on making history. I think the Mustangs gained some respect tonight. After getting down big they fought back and had a shot at winning this one. Unioto was just too good at the end and hit big free throws. This was not about poor defense. Westfall had an advantage of guards getting to the basket and they took advantage of it. This is where I thought they could cause some trouble for the Shermans. Wyman was outstanding on both ends. Holding Cotrill down on defense to 9 points(I believe) while scoring a game high 21 points. Westfall lost the game but showed they are a pretty good team who is getting better and that's all they can ask. Hats off to the Shermans...you stand alone in history.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Congrats Unioto! Quite a feat accomplished!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

svc_guy wrote:Congrats to the Shermans on making history. I think the Mustangs gained some respect tonight. After getting down big they fought back and had a shot at winning this one. Unioto was just too good at the end and hit big free throws. This was not about poor defense. Westfall had an advantage of guards getting to the basket and they took advantage of it. This is where I thought they could cause some trouble for the Shermans. Wyman was outstanding on both ends. Holding Cotrill down on defense to 9 points(I believe) while scoring a game high 21 points. Westfall lost the game but showed they are a pretty good team who is getting better and that's all they can ask. Hats off to the Shermans...you stand alone in history.
Pretty spot on. The Mustangs could've easily folded once Unioto jumped out big, but never quit and battled until the end. Coach Younkin is doing a great job and has a lot of talented kids with big hearts. They should have an outstanding rest of the season.

One thing that I really enjoyed watching tonight was the way that Wyman and Swackhammer competed against each other. They are obviously great friends and it was really fun to watch tonight.

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

"The backside rotation on the zone was poor..."
You spent your whole post disagreeing with me, and then agreed with me.

Listen I'm not taking anything away from the Sherman's as I am rooting them along with anyone. But this team is so good that they have really one team to judge themselves for come tourney. That was really my point. There's no fault to anyone they won an awesome game and slugged it out. I think the defense adjustment to the 3 could have been handled better, yes, they helped too much.
Games like this and next Tuesday are going to be what gets this team ready for tourney. Not the bashing of a team by 50 in which Unitotos 2nd team could beat.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Unioto is a very impressive team. They have some nice play inside that can score and maul the boards, they got shooters on the perimeter and they can also get to the hole. Defensive pressure is also an asset.

Really impressed with Westfall. They were down 21 points after a quarter last week against Adena and down 23-5 against Unioto with still 90 seconds left in the first quarter. Westfall did a very nice job of getting to the basket and kicking or moving the ball around for threes, as well. Also really impressed with how everyone scraped on the glass, kids like Mason Peart and Matt Jude. Wyman is a very heady player at the point, and Westfall also has some talented players in Mink, Anderson and Adams that can score the basketball.

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Congratulations to unioto on breaking record.

Return to “Boys Basketball”