smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by smurray »

GAME 1:
Western lead 14-9 after one
Western lead 25-22 at the break
Western lead 40-33 after three

Tanner Perdue lead the Indians with 19 followed by Bryce Brewster with 15 (13 2nd half). Lane Brewster 11, Zach Herman 10, Austin Hersman 3 and Adam Smithson 2.
I had the Indians 11-11 from the line
Casey Moore lead the Streaks and all scorers with 20 (14 2nd half) followed by Cody Vulgamore with 9. Steven Zimmerman 7, Travis Veach 6, Brice Odell 3 and Tanner Veach 1.
I had Piketon 10-17 from the line

GAME 2:
Waverly 70 Eastern 67 in OT
Waverly lead 19-5 after one
Waverly lead 34-21 at the break after Eastern had cut it to 23-14 midway through the 2nnd
Waverly lead 50-47 after three

Waverly missed 6 FT's in the last minute of the 4th starting at 1:01 up 58-53
Tigers were up 59-54 with .44 to play and missed 4 FT's from that point.
Ethan Leist tied it at 60 with 3.9 to play. Tigers had a decent shot and tip back but missed and we went to OT.

Tigers were fouled on the jump ball to start OT but missed both FT's. Tigers went on to miss 7 FT's in OT.
Hale scored with 3:34 to play in OT to put Eastern up 62-60. Marquez hit 1-2 from the line with 3:16 to cut it to 61-62.
Hale hit 1-2 with 2:58 to play to put Eastern up 2 at 63-61. Jake Henderson hit a bucket to tie it with 2:41 to play.
Hesson drained a 3 with 2:26 to put Eastern up 66-63 but soph. Bailey Pennington answered with a trifecta with 1:55 to play and then stole the ball and was fouled going to the bucket. Pennington hit 1-2 to put Waverly up 67-66 with 1:49 to play.
With 1:11 to play and Waverly still up 67-66 Leist fouled out sending Chapman to the line. Waverly's FT struggles continued as he missed both.
Eastern called timeout with .43 to play. Waverly held and Joe Henderson was fouled with .24 to play. He hit 1-2 to put Waverly up 68-66.
Martin was fouled with 3.8 to play (Joe Henderson's 5th) and missed the first but made the 2nd to make it a one point game. Marquez was fouled with 1.8 to play and made both to extend the lead to 70-67. A halfcourt pass by the Eagles was tipped away and the clock expired.

Waverly was lead by Jake Henderson with 17 followed by Cade Marquez with 13. Mason Chapman chipped in 11, Joe Henderson 9, Trey Rigsby 8, Gunner Robinson 7 (BIG minutes from the big man), Bailey Pennington with 4 HUGE points in OT and Ethan Adrian 1.
Waverly was 6-8 from the line in the first half and 16-34 for the game. (THAT HAS TO IMPROVE)

Ethan Leist with a big 3rd period lead the eagles with 23 (11 in the 3rd) followed by Clay Martin with 20. Ben Hesson chipped in 8 with a big 3 in OT, Evan Leist 7, Tyler Hale 5 and freshman Michael Miller with 4.
Eastern was 2-8 from the line in the first half and 19-32 for the game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

From that recap, I think I could probably guess the officials for the late game.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I don't think you can danicalfornia.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

The foul call on that jump ball to start the overtime, is one of the worst calls I have ever seen , I don't think I have ever seen that called before, and prolly will never see it called again, that changed the game , it gave waverly 2 free throws , and they gave them the alternating possession , it gave Ethan leist 4 fouls , and not to mention eastern had already gained possession when she called the foul. Just a horrible call to start an overtime or the start of the game for that matter .
Now with that said waverly played a good game and deserved the win , if they hit free throws they prolly win it in regulation . Eastern just came out so flat to start the game, I hope they play with a little more emotion in the first half tomorrow vs Piketon.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

the officials were horrible that's happened a lot this year not saying they got the eagles beat they came out flat and Waverly jumped all over us and we couldn't dig back out need to find that 3rd guy to score every game leist and Martin both score 20 and we don't win that's not good for the eagles nation. with every sport there isn't a lot of young officials taking the class to get in so everywhere in our area will be officials that have had their time and need to move on basketball is a running sport some may want to stay behind the plate in either softball or baseball.

GO EAGLES
toast
All State

Post by toast »

Two very good games last night. The fans got their moneys worth that's for sure. All four teams played extremely hard. You simply will not find a more exciting and hard fought game as the contest between Waverly and Eastern. That gym was rocking! Impressive come back by Eastern and a nice testament to Waverly's character being able to find a way to win while missing 18 foul shots.

I look for both games tonight to be close and hard fought. Also worth noting is Waverly's newly renovated gym. Huge improvement going with the double doors at the entrance. And someone was on the ball going with the new wooden bleachers. So much nicer than the cheap crummy plastic ones. And the wooden ones will last decades longer. Much better lit gym this year too. The upper parking will be paved which will be a nice improvement. Someone did their homework and should be commended. Still the nicest basketball gym in southern Ohio.

LIGHTSOUT
Riding the Bench

Post by LIGHTSOUT »

It would have been really nice if they would have opened both ticket windows so the people in line for tickets didn't get soaked from the rain.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OH, was it raining?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

EPN,
whether that happens every jump ball and is never called I don't know. I do know he grabbed Mason which gave him an advantage on the jump. It was a foul. The FT's were missed so no advantage there. Waverly would have had the alternating possession anyway so no difference there. The only thing that mattered is it was Leists 4th foul. Now, had the Eagles not had to foul so much in the final minute of regulation he wouldn't have had that many fouls. But I'm sure the Eagles gladly exchanged the fouls for the opportunity to push it to OT. I'm sure Waverly disagreed with many of the calls, Travis to the point on one he nearly got T'd up on. The amount of FT's were nearly identical, 8 for each team in the first half and 34 for Waverly for the game and 32 for Eastern. Many of Waverly's FT's came from Eastern purposely putting Waverly on the line so in all reality Waverly was called for more "game action" fouls if you will.
I've seen many officiating crews and they all miss calls and yes there are fewer and fewer younger ones getting into it. However, that crew is one of the most professional and unbiased crews you will see. I do believe one of them even works college games or is on his way to.
Waverly outplayed Eastern from the outset but had to withstand a furious Eagle comeback and terrible FT shooting to win it.
Cudos to both teams on a great game. Neither team gave up.

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

Just a thought here.

Not trying to be smart or anything like that, just thinking.

Maybe we do not have a lot of younger officials getting into the sport because of the abuse. It seems to be a okay thing now days to constantly put down officials. Just for instance reading on here today. "The officials were horrible". Plus the constant abuse during games.
While a lot of us have thick skin & learn to deal with it. Does that mean it is acceptable?
I am simply saying, a lot of younger men & women do not know how to tolerate the abuse thus stopping them from possibly going out & getting their license.

We for sure need younger officials to get into the sport year after year but yet each year less & less get into it.

Everyone, keep cheering your team, keep the oooh's & aaah's coming. Maybe just try to keep in mind that no official goes into a game purposely to have a bad night. And keep in mind that when you see officials that you do not see often, maybe they are "Newer" & still learning. We need them in the sport.
Maybe try to be a little more patient with them before you decide to ride them to much.

Just a thought.....
Again, not trying to be any sort of a smarty....I just know that we for sure need more & more officials to enter the sport each & every year.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Smurray,
Just to b clear, I never said the officials were horrible, I said that one call in particular was one of the worst calls I have seen . Look before any time came off the clock in the OT waverly got 2 free throws, the possession arrow, and Eastern's best player picked up his 4th foul, on a call I have never seen before. This is just my opinion but I think Robertson made that call , he went to that official and told her to watch leist because he was gonna shove on that tip , and I think he told his player to flop , I think her mind was made up before that ball was even tossed up, when chapman fell down she blew the whistle, from where she was standing I don't think there is anyway she would b able to tell if leist hit him or not, and I don't think there was anymore contact on that play than there is on any jump all.That may sound harsh , and like I said it's just my opinion of what happened.
Ryan express,
I think u r exactly right on your comments , u couldn't pay me enough to b an official , every call u make is wrong to someone , most fans only see games 1 way, and being down on the floor u seethe game in completely different view than sitting in the stands. I have a lot of respect for officials, because I couldn't do it.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

At the half:
Eastern 28
Piketon 24

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Final
Eastern 50
Piketon 42

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

At the half
Waverly 29
Western 27

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

A real barn burner. Both crowds really into it

After 3
Waverly 45
Western 40

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Ryanexpress

my apologies if I offended anyone using the word horrible that may been the wrong word to use maybe not very good that night is a better term it I've seen it happen to good teams and I'm sure it happens to good officials. that night it wasn't good alot of bad calls were made against both teams that's just IMO. some officials come out every nite and want to do their best and I know some just don't care which doesn't make the kids better or the official I appreciate all the ones that show up every night fired up like the coach's and kids to be there and want to make the right calls and help the players get better.

GO EAGLES
OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Final
Waverly 61
Western 53

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

CONSOLATION GAME:
Eastern 50
Piketon 42
Eastern lead 16-7 after one
Eastern lead 28-24 at the break
Eastern lead 40-34 after three

Ethan Leist lead the Eagle with 20 and name to the All Tournamanet Team. Evan Leist followed with 10, Clay Martin 5, Tyler Hale 4, Michael Miller 4, Ben Hesson 3, Quinten Alley 2 and Ethan Montgomery 2.
The Eagles were 10-20 from the line.

Casey Moore lead the Redstreaks with 10 and named to the All Tournament team. Brice Odell and Steven Zimmerman both added 9 a piece, Travis Veach 7, Cody Vulgamore 5 and Alex Blanton 2.
The Redstreaks were 5-10 from the line

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME:
Waverly 61
Western 53

Waverly lead 17-12 after one
Waverly lead 29-27 at the break
Waverly lead 45-40 after three
Eastern lead 37-33 with 3:10 in the third but Waverly answered with he last 7 points of the period with Joe Henderson hitting a 3 and Gunner Robinson muscling in two buckets underneath the last one at the buzzer.
Jake Henderson hit 5-6 FT's with under .50 to play to seal it.

Jake Henderson lead the Tigers with 18 and was named the Tournament MVP. Mason Chapman followed with 11, Gunner Robinson 10, Cade Marquez 7 and named to the All Tournament team, Trey Ribgsby 7, Joe Henderson 6, and Tariq Gilbert 2.
Waverly was 17-27 from the line, 16 of the FT attempts coming in the 4th.

Freshman Lane Brewster lead the Indians with 18, draining 5 threes keeping the Eagles in it at crucial times. Tanner Perdue followed with 11 and named to the All Tournament team. Zach Herman chipped in 8, Bryce Brewster 7, Austin Hersman 5, Adam Smithson 4, Dylan Stevens 2.
The Indians were 13-20 from the line.

ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM:
Piketon - Casey Moore
Eastern - Ethan Leist
Western - Tanner Perdue
Waverly - Cade Marquez
MVP - Jake Henderson

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

EPN,
I never said you said they were horrible. That was another poster and he has apologized.
Now, when you see the photo of the tip I hope you will be man enough to apologize. Claiming Travis went to the official beforehand to watch the tip and that he told Mason to flop is actually pretty amazing. You must have been in the huddle or on the Tiger sideline, must not have been in the visitors stands. Your comments and accusations are amazing. And so what if Travis did tell the officials to watch it. Coaches are asking officials to watch this or that all game long.
I can't post photos to this site, either not permitted to or can't figure it out, but there is a photo showing the BLATANT HOLD on the tip. It wasn't a push or a hit and flop like you say. I posted the photo to my Facebook page from the gentlemens page who took the photos. Check it out, you should be apologizing to everyone once you see it. NO WAY THE OFFICIAL COULD NOT CALL IT.

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

Brown22,

Was not meaning anything directly at you. I apologize as well if it seemed that way.
I was just trying to point out the fact that officials take tons of abuse from several on a nightly basis.
And this being the reason that we have trouble getting newer younger officials involved.
We see it every year, young men & women take the class, get their license, call games for a short time & before they have a chance to learn & develop as officials they decide against it due to the abuse.
Not saying that we are not deserving of a good bashing on occasion :) as we all have nights that we are not "On it".
But now days it just seems the norm to be able to constantly harass officials & all be okay with it.

Simply, all I was/am trying to say is that we all need to give the younger, newer officials a chance to learn & develop.
We need them in the sport.

Sorry to everyone for hi-jacking this thread away from the tournament talk.
Just had this thought as I was reading & wanted to post it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”