vikes vs miegs

Kennyk
Riding the Bench

Re: vikes vs miegs

Post by Kennyk »

I have been to every VC game this year. There were a few calls both ways, but I thought it was a decently called contest. Vikings were too much for Meigs tonight. Pretty uneventful game and the boys played hard from the get go. Would like to see the napkin stats if anyone has them before the papers get out. This years Vikings play well together and Friday is another huge game at Alexander. Vikings control things in the TVC Ohio as I think Meigs, Athens and Alexander will knock each other off in league play. Vikings play 10 deep and that is a good thing come tournament time. Glad to see them ranked in the top ten in the AP poll.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Kennyk wrote:I have been to every VC game this year. There were a few calls both ways, but I thought it was a decently called contest. Vikings were too much for Meigs tonight. Pretty uneventful game and the boys played hard from the get go. Would like to see the napkin stats if anyone has them before the papers get out. This years Vikings play well together and Friday is another huge game at Alexander. Vikings control things in the TVC Ohio as I think Meigs, Athens and Alexander will knock each other off in league play. Vikings play 10 deep and that is a good thing come tournament time. Glad to see them ranked in the top ten in the AP poll.
ROCK SPRINGS — Vinton County had five players hit double figures, but it was a player coming off the bench who delivered the dagger against Meigs.

Tyler Barnett made a defensive play that led to three big points, providing the Vikings enough of a boost to hold off the Marauders, 73-54, during Tuesday’s battle for first place in the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division inside a packed Larry R. Morrison Gymnasium.

The Marauders had trimmed a 19-point deficit down to 13 points and had the ball in the fourth quarter.

Barnett came up with a steal and drove the other way. He was able to complete the shot, draw the foul and make the free throw for his only points of the night.

The Vikings led 59-43 with 3:45 left, as the Marauders’ final comeback attempt was foiled.

Barnett is often a starter, but came off the bench against Meigs.

“Not one time did he pout about it,” Vinton County coach Matt Combs said. “He just said, ‘Hey, I’ll be ready when my number’s called,’ and look at that play he makes. Anybody who knows Tyler Barnett knows how great a kid he is. It’s great to see him make a play like that in a big game.”

The Vikings (13-1 overall) will enter the second round of TVC-Ohio games in total control of the division. Vinton County is now 6-0 in league play, while Meigs (12-2 overall) falls to 4-2.

Meigs, Athens and Alexander are all tied for second, and all three sit two games back of the Vikings thanks to Tuesday’s result.

“I’m really proud of our kids,” Combs said. “You’ve got to play really well to do that here against that team because they’re a good team. Take nothing away from Meigs. Their record is what it is for a reason. They’ve got good players.”

The Vikings had different players take turns making big plays against Meigs. Jordan Albright had 14 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals. Tristan Bartoe had 13 points and five assists.

Naylen Yates had 13 points including two 3-pointers, Derek Jones scored 12 points to go with eight rebounds, three assists and two steals. Bo McIntire scored 12 points, making all six of his field goal attempts in the paint.

“They’re a very good team, obviously,” Meigs coach Ed Fry said. “Their state ranking (No. 6 in Division II) shows that.

“They’re a pretty complete team.”

The Marauders could never get their offense clicking, as they made just 1 of 17 3-point attempts. Meigs shot 39 percent from the field overall, making 23 of 59 shots.

“Most nights, they’re going to hit more than that regardless of how good a defense you play,” Combs said of Meigs’ 3-point shooting. “I am proud of our defensive effort but we’re fortunate that their shots didn’t go in tonight or it might have been a much closer game.”

Fry said he didn’t think enough of Meigs’ long-range attempts came in the flow of the offense.

“Most of those were settled shots, where we didn’t try to run our offense,” he said. “We just dribbled around until we shot something. Towards the end of the game we started taking the ball to the hole and getting fouled, going to the line then we could set up in our press but it was too little, too late.”

Kaileb Sheets led Meigs with 17 points, eight rebounds and three assists, while Colton Lilly added 12 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks shots. Jaxon Meadows came off the bench to score eight points.

Meigs scored first for its only lead of the night. The Vikings’ 9-0 run put them ahead 9-2 after Jones found Chase Wood (four points, six rebounds) inside for two points.

Vinton County methodically pushed the lead out. It was 16-11 after one quarter. The Vikings led 33-23 at halftime after Bartoe found Yates on a set play for a layup.

Bartoe scored on consecutive baskets for a 41-26 advantage in the third. Vinton County led 50-32 late in the third when Bartoe found McIntire.

The Vikings were efficient offensively, committing only nine turnovers and making 24 of 39 attempts (61.5 percent) from 2-point range.

The Marauders have dropped two league games in a row, and face another tough test on Friday at Athens.

“From a coaching standpoint, our team has lost our mental focus, and if we don’t get it back it will be just like this on Friday against an improved Athens team,” Fry said.

The Vikings will start their second round of league action at Alexander on Friday.

The win on Tuesday clearly has the Vikings as the team to beat going forward. Combs wasn’t going to throw any parties afterward however, as he knows tough challenges await.

“We’re only through one league round,” Combs said. “That’s all you can say right now. You have half the league schedule against some really good teams to play.

“It was a big win for us but it’s one win and we have to be ready to play Friday.”

Vinton County 73, Meigs 54

Vinton County 16 17 17 23 — 73

Meigs 11 12 11 20 — 54

VINTON COUNTY 73 (13-1, 6-0 TVC-Ohio)

Derek Jones 4 4-7 12, Jordan Albright 5 3-5 14, Tristan Bartoe 5 2-2 13, Chase Wood 1 2-6 4, Naylan Yates 5 1-2 13, Bo McIntire 6 0-0 12, Tyler Barnett 1 1-1 3, Caleb Montgomery 0 0-0 0, Sean Caudill 1 0-0 2; TOTALS 28 13-23 73; 3-point field goals: 4 (Yates 2, Albright, Bartoe 1 apiece)

MEIGS 54 (12-2, 4-2 TVC-Ohio)

Christian Mattox 3 0-2 6, Colton Lilly 5 2-2 12, Kaileb Sheets 7 3-4 17, Luke Musser 2 0-0 4, Jared Kennedy 1 1-3 3, Dillon Mahr 1 1-2 4, Tyler Fields 0 0-0 0, Jaxon Meadows 4 0-0 8; TOTALS 23 7-13 54; 3-point field goals: 1 (Mahr)

TEAM STATISTICS/INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Field goals — Vinton County 28-53 (.528), 3-point field goals 4-14 (.286); Meigs 23-59 (.390), 3-point field goals 1-17 (.059); Free throws — Vinton County 13-23 (.565), Meigs 7-13 (.538); Rebounds — Vinton County 33 (Jones 8), Meigs 38 (Lilly 10); Assists — Vinton County 14 (Bartoe, Albright 5 apiece), Meigs 5 (Sheets 3); Blocks — Vinton County 2, Meigs 4 (Kennedy, Lilly 2 apiece); Turnovers — Vinton County 9, Meigs 15; Steals — Vinton County 8 (Jones, Alrbright, Barnett 2 apiece), Meigs 4 (Mahr 3); Team fouls — Vinton County 14, Meigs 19; JV game — Meigs 48, Vinton County 46

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

congrats to the Vikings

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

ma77ox wrote:
Kennyk wrote:I have been to every VC game this year. There were a few calls both ways, but I thought it was a decently called contest. Vikings were too much for Meigs tonight. Pretty uneventful game and the boys played hard from the get go. Would like to see the napkin stats if anyone has them before the papers get out. This years Vikings play well together and Friday is another huge game at Alexander. Vikings control things in the TVC Ohio as I think Meigs, Athens and Alexander will knock each other off in league play. Vikings play 10 deep and that is a good thing come tournament time. Glad to see them ranked in the top ten in the AP poll.
ROCK SPRINGS — Vinton County had five players hit double figures, but it was a player coming off the bench who delivered the dagger against Meigs.

Tyler Barnett made a defensive play that led to three big points, providing the Vikings enough of a boost to hold off the Marauders, 73-54, during Tuesday’s battle for first place in the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division inside a packed Larry R. Morrison Gymnasium.

The Marauders had trimmed a 19-point deficit down to 13 points and had the ball in the fourth quarter.

Barnett came up with a steal and drove the other way. He was able to complete the shot, draw the foul and make the free throw for his only points of the night.

The Vikings led 59-43 with 3:45 left, as the Marauders’ final comeback attempt was foiled.

Barnett is often a starter, but came off the bench against Meigs.

“Not one time did he pout about it,” Vinton County coach Matt Combs said. “He just said, ‘Hey, I’ll be ready when my number’s called,’ and look at that play he makes. Anybody who knows Tyler Barnett knows how great a kid he is. It’s great to see him make a play like that in a big game.”

The Vikings (13-1 overall) will enter the second round of TVC-Ohio games in total control of the division. Vinton County is now 6-0 in league play, while Meigs (12-2 overall) falls to 4-2.

Meigs, Athens and Alexander are all tied for second, and all three sit two games back of the Vikings thanks to Tuesday’s result.

“I’m really proud of our kids,” Combs said. “You’ve got to play really well to do that here against that team because they’re a good team. Take nothing away from Meigs. Their record is what it is for a reason. They’ve got good players.”

The Vikings had different players take turns making big plays against Meigs. Jordan Albright had 14 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals. Tristan Bartoe had 13 points and five assists.

Naylen Yates had 13 points including two 3-pointers, Derek Jones scored 12 points to go with eight rebounds, three assists and two steals. Bo McIntire scored 12 points, making all six of his field goal attempts in the paint.

“They’re a very good team, obviously,” Meigs coach Ed Fry said. “Their state ranking (No. 6 in Division II) shows that.

“They’re a pretty complete team.”

The Marauders could never get their offense clicking, as they made just 1 of 17 3-point attempts. Meigs shot 39 percent from the field overall, making 23 of 59 shots.

“Most nights, they’re going to hit more than that regardless of how good a defense you play,” Combs said of Meigs’ 3-point shooting. “I am proud of our defensive effort but we’re fortunate that their shots didn’t go in tonight or it might have been a much closer game.”

Fry said he didn’t think enough of Meigs’ long-range attempts came in the flow of the offense.

“Most of those were settled shots, where we didn’t try to run our offense,” he said. “We just dribbled around until we shot something. Towards the end of the game we started taking the ball to the hole and getting fouled, going to the line then we could set up in our press but it was too little, too late.”

Kaileb Sheets led Meigs with 17 points, eight rebounds and three assists, while Colton Lilly added 12 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks shots. Jaxon Meadows came off the bench to score eight points.

Meigs scored first for its only lead of the night. The Vikings’ 9-0 run put them ahead 9-2 after Jones found Chase Wood (four points, six rebounds) inside for two points.

Vinton County methodically pushed the lead out. It was 16-11 after one quarter. The Vikings led 33-23 at halftime after Bartoe found Yates on a set play for a layup.

Bartoe scored on consecutive baskets for a 41-26 advantage in the third. Vinton County led 50-32 late in the third when Bartoe found McIntire.

The Vikings were efficient offensively, committing only nine turnovers and making 24 of 39 attempts (61.5 percent) from 2-point range.

The Marauders have dropped two league games in a row, and face another tough test on Friday at Athens.

“From a coaching standpoint, our team has lost our mental focus, and if we don’t get it back it will be just like this on Friday against an improved Athens team,” Fry said.

The Vikings will start their second round of league action at Alexander on Friday.

The win on Tuesday clearly has the Vikings as the team to beat going forward. Combs wasn’t going to throw any parties afterward however, as he knows tough challenges await.

“We’re only through one league round,” Combs said. “That’s all you can say right now. You have half the league schedule against some really good teams to play.

“It was a big win for us but it’s one win and we have to be ready to play Friday.”

Vinton County 73, Meigs 54

Vinton County 16 17 17 23 — 73

Meigs 11 12 11 20 — 54

VINTON COUNTY 73 (13-1, 6-0 TVC-Ohio)

Derek Jones 4 4-7 12, Jordan Albright 5 3-5 14, Tristan Bartoe 5 2-2 13, Chase Wood 1 2-6 4, Naylan Yates 5 1-2 13, Bo McIntire 6 0-0 12, Tyler Barnett 1 1-1 3, Caleb Montgomery 0 0-0 0, Sean Caudill 1 0-0 2; TOTALS 28 13-23 73; 3-point field goals: 4 (Yates 2, Albright, Bartoe 1 apiece)

MEIGS 54 (12-2, 4-2 TVC-Ohio)

Christian Mattox 3 0-2 6, Colton Lilly 5 2-2 12, Kaileb Sheets 7 3-4 17, Luke Musser 2 0-0 4, Jared Kennedy 1 1-3 3, Dillon Mahr 1 1-2 4, Tyler Fields 0 0-0 0, Jaxon Meadows 4 0-0 8; TOTALS 23 7-13 54; 3-point field goals: 1 (Mahr)

TEAM STATISTICS/INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Field goals — Vinton County 28-53 (.528), 3-point field goals 4-14 (.286); Meigs 23-59 (.390), 3-point field goals 1-17 (.059); Free throws — Vinton County 13-23 (.565), Meigs 7-13 (.538); Rebounds — Vinton County 33 (Jones 8), Meigs 38 (Lilly 10); Assists — Vinton County 14 (Bartoe, Albright 5 apiece), Meigs 5 (Sheets 3); Blocks — Vinton County 2, Meigs 4 (Kennedy, Lilly 2 apiece); Turnovers — Vinton County 9, Meigs 15; Steals — Vinton County 8 (Jones, Alrbright, Barnett 2 apiece), Meigs 4 (Mahr 3); Team fouls — Vinton County 14, Meigs 19; JV game — Meigs 48, Vinton County 46

If you are going to just copy and paste a newspaper article, then please mention the paper and the journalist who wrote the article please.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Kennyk
Riding the Bench

Post by Kennyk »

Great article and thank you ma77ox.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

I could have kept this game a little closer but the money was in mason last night. Maybe next time. If I am not available you should get Scotty dale to ref. He can cheat the lights out!

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Hard to believe that Meigs lost with their fans being allowed to bring pop in the gym. I know that hurt them at Jackson. Did something happen that I'm not aware of? I just can't see them losing that bad if their fans were allowed to drink pop while watching the game. I mean 19 points?!?!? Could someone from Meigs please clear this up for me>

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

Unbelievable scoring balance for VC. It's not going to be easy for anybody to beat them if the have that kind of balance.

Return to “Boys Basketball”