Division 3 Sectional Records

Wffan
JV Team

Re: Division 3 Sectional Records

Post by Wffan »

Adena lost to East Clinton. That is their bad loss. ZT also beat Lynchburg.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

1. Valley
2. Lynchburg
3. Adena
4. Westfall
5. Portsmouth
6. Zane Trace
7. Eastern
8. North Adams

Asking the SVC guys.....Do any of you feel if the top 2 are set (Valley - LC), that ZT would make a play at the 7 for the matchup with LC rather than playing Adena again? Do you think the SVC guys would want to play each other and ensure an SVC presence at the Convo, or attempt to set matchups to where 3 teams have a chance?

1. Fairland
2. Chesapeake
3. Wheelersburg
4. Alexander
5. Minford
6. Ironton
7. Wellston
8. Oak Hill

You can make the case for Wheelersburg at #2, but I would guess the OVC sticks together and gives Mark and his team another chance at a game they blew a few weeks ago.

These are my predictions for the seeds. And here is my guess for the District Semis:

1. Valley vs.5. Minford (Round 3)
2. Lynchburg (if ZT is the #6- If ZT is the #7 - I'll take them) vs. 3.Wheelersburg
6. ZT (If they are #7 I'll take Adena over Eastern) vs. 2. Chesapeake
5. Portsmouth vs 1. Fairland (Round 3)

Stryker
Riding the Bench

Post by Stryker »

Not sure about the seeding in Jackson. Saw where Fairland lost to Huntington St Joe last night 85-65 and Boyd County beat Chesapeake on Tuesday night. . Should be interesting to see how that vote comes out.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Beware of Ironton........my Trojans handled the Fighting Tigers 66-50 at Ironton, but they won the rematch 73-63 at Portsmouth. The Tigers are the most physical team in D3, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make the Convo. They have had some injuries, but could be fully healthy when the tournament starts.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

For the SVC question:

I have seen in the past where SVC teams try to avoid playing each other in the first round. For example, Westfall or Adena trying to play West Union instead of Paint Valley, or Northwest instead of Huntington. But with 7 teams from the SVC in here, I don't think it makes sense to worry past the first round. Can't avoid it altogether. I can see scenarios for any of the teams with 6-7 losses playing each other in the second round. Looking forward to see how this plays out. I believe all 6 of those teams could make it to the convo.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

Jackson sectional is a total toss up imo. Likely will come down to politics and whether the OVC and TVC stick together or not. I believe teams within this sectional would jockey to get a different seed than they probably should get to avoid a "bad" matchup. I also believe that the higher seeds in the sectional could potentially try convince their way out of a seed they should get based on what they think may happen out of the Waverly seeding. For instance avoiding Valley or Portsmouth in the district semi's. I think the top 5 are set in stone just a matter of who goes to what seed (Fairland, Burg, Minford, Peake and Alexander). I think the next 4 are also just about set but toss up on where they land (Wellston, Oak Hill, South Point and Ironton). I believe 10 and 11 will be Coal Grove and Nelsonville York could flip one or the other. Crooksville likely will land the 12, River Valley the 13 and Rock Hill the 14. Truthfully the only given in this entire sectional is Rock Hill, especially after the last 2 nights games (Ironton over Portsmouth by 10 at Ports, Huntington St Joe over Fairland by 20 at Fair, Alexander over Vinton Co, River Valley over Wellston, Minford over SW by 4, Burg over OH at OH by 9, SP over South Gallia by 15 at home, Boyd Co (KY) over Peake at Boyd).

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Alexander (16-4) resume looks pretty nice.

beat Warren (16-3) ... 55-47
beat Vinton County (14-4) ... 59-54
beat Meigs (14-3) ... 80-69
beat Minford (14-3) ... 60-46

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

93Bulldog wrote:The Alexander (16-4) resume looks pretty nice.

Alexander has a tough rematch at Meigs tonight. A 17-4 record with the above schedule is impressive. Losses to three division 2 teams and at Chesapeake.

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

spartans_fan wrote:

Alexander has a tough rematch at Meigs tonight. A 17-4 record with the above schedule is impressive. Losses to three division 2 teams and at Chesapeake.
Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you.

If Alexander gets to the Convo, remember they ain't playing at the Alley, I'll pick them to lose by 15 there.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

FannyPack wrote:
spartans_fan wrote:

If Alexander gets to the Convo, remember they ain't playing at the Alley, I'll pick them to lose by 15 there.
The saying is:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

If the Spartans keep shooting the ball the way they have been, they are going to be a tough out anywhere.

Go Alex.

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

spartans_fan wrote:
FannyPack wrote:
spartans_fan wrote:

The saying is:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

If the Spartans keep shooting the ball the way they have been, they are going to be a tough out anywhere.

Go Alex.
Thanks for correcting my mistake. Here's a non mistake, Alexander is now 6-4 away from the Alley, those 6 wins came against teams who average 4.25 wins. They better hope they get gifted another high seed so they can walk to the Convo.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
uherdit
Waterboy

Post by uherdit »

I know the voting was mostly over but no one will want to see Portsmouth in the first round. Portsmouth lost a tough game at Fairland who HAS to be a 1 seed! But on neutral court they will be tough game for anyone!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Put the top 5 teams names in a hat at Jackson and draw from there. Although, I think Fairland is definitely the 1 seed, after that it's a crapshoot.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Looks like someone at Zane Trace made someone mad as they drop to the #8 seed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

All first round DIII games at the Convo will be on a Sunday thanks to the Ohio Bobcats playing on Saturday.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Crab's Brother wrote:Looks like someone at Zane Trace made someone mad as they drop to the #8 seed.
It was probably everyone that ZT played this year lol. A lot has gone down, so I'm guessing they weren't going to get any favors.

But, they have won 6 straight, including pounding 2 seed Lynchburg. They deserved a better seed and I'm not sure Valley is real excited to see them.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:All first round DIII games at the Convo will be on a Sunday thanks to the Ohio Bobcats playing on Saturday.
Yes! As both a student teacher and baseball coach, this is perfect. Won't cause me to miss a game.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Having watched North Adams last night, if they are the 6th best team, this is the worst sectional in the state.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Crab's Brother wrote:Having watched North Adams last night, if they are the 6th best team, this is the worst sectional in the state.
Lol! I was trying not to base my thoughts on them based on the Huntington game (trailed for 31+ mins) but that seals up what I was thinking in general.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Zane Trace has played well lately. Valley will have their hands full if Zane Trace gets past Southeastern for the third time.

Return to “Boys Basketball”