Wheelersburg @ Valley 2/8 SOC Title on the line

lineman7
All Conference

Re: Wheelersburg @ Valley 2/8 SOC Title on the line

Post by lineman7 »

Was a great game in the 4th quarter. I have no idea why Valley stopped pressing once they got up 16 late in the third quarter, its what got them their big lead. Valley stopped pressing, stopped attacking and just went into ultra-conservative mode. Burg made a furious comeback in the last 3-4 minutes of the 4th quarter and the game came down to the last seconds.

Free throws were the only thing that kept Burg in the game, they made 16 of 22 of them compared to only 7 of 10 for Valley.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

well who won and score?

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I lost video feed with valley up 65-64 with sec left

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

mrwonderful wrote:My advice is Wheelersburg leave their big man on the bench.....It's a shame because he could be a good player but his Coach has to continually pull him out of the game because he would rather talk and disrupt the game with his smack talking ,showboating, and attitude......... Most teams have a player like this.....Most Coaches put winning games ahead of disciplining these type kids.....Continually pulling them in and out of games doesn't work! What works is putting them on the bench and telling them if u want to be a part of this team stop the bull!!!!! They act up pull them out of the game and sit them on the bench the entire game!!!!! Not 3 or 4 minutes!!!! After 4 or 5 games of this most kids see the light and start playing the game the way it's suppose to be played. If not throw them of the team!!!!! Kids like this are a Cancer to their team...A lot of times other kids on the team feed of their attitudes and start acting just like them........ Here's the sad part! Most Coaches and society wont do the right thing because it's not politically correct to tell it like it is...You might scar the child for life if you call him out....So what we have today is a generation of kids who take no responsibility for their actions and the grown-ups feeding the monster.......
Very true. Sad to say.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Great game tonight valley wins 65 to 66 I think I know they won by 1 ,congrats to valley on soc championship

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I think Minford can share the title if they can win Friday at Valley. I could be wrong

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

FIDO wrote:I think Minford can share the title if they can win Friday at Valley. I could be wrong
OK I thought they sealed the deal tonight.....they played " we are the champions" after the game anyway so that threw me off :mrgreen:

BurgBB
Waterboy

Post by BurgBB »

mrwonderful wrote:My advice is Wheelersburg leave their big man on the bench.....It's a shame because he could be a good player but his Coach has to continually pull him out of the game because he would rather talk and disrupt the game with his smack talking ,showboating, and attitude......... Most teams have a player like this.....Most Coaches put winning games ahead of disciplining these type kids.....Continually pulling them in and out of games doesn't work! What works is putting them on the bench and telling them if u want to be a part of this team stop the bull!!!!! They act up pull them out of the game and sit them on the bench the entire game!!!!! Not 3 or 4 minutes!!!! After 4 or 5 games of this most kids see the light and start playing the game the way it's suppose to be played. If not throw them of the team!!!!! Kids like this are a Cancer to their team...A lot of times other kids on the team feed of their attitudes and start acting just like them........ Here's the sad part! Most Coaches and society wont do the right thing because it's not politically correct to tell it like it is...You might scar the child for life if you call him out....So what we have today is a generation of kids who take no responsibility for their actions and the grown-ups feeding the monster.......
Absolutely agree. I understand Ater wanting to keep him in cause he's a huge threat, but you continue to reward the poor behavior. If Ater can't control this situation any better, especially after the things that I heard went down at SW, it's time for him to go.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Yes, if Minford wins it's a share. Valley wrapped up a piece of the SOC title tonight.

bluedude62
Varsity

Post by bluedude62 »

mrwonderful wrote:
My advice is Wheelersburg leave their big man on the bench.....It's a shame because he could be a good player but his Coach has to continually pull him out of the game because he would rather talk and disrupt the game with his smack talking ,showboating, and attitude......... Most teams have a player like this.....Most Coaches put winning games ahead of disciplining these type kids.....Continually pulling them in and out of games doesn't work! What works is putting them on the bench and telling them if u want to be a part of this team stop the bull!!!!! They act up pull them out of the game and sit them on the bench the entire game!!!!! Not 3 or 4 minutes!!!! After 4 or 5 games of this most kids see the light and start playing the game the way it's suppose to be played. If not throw them of the team!!!!! Kids like this are a Cancer to their team...A lot of times other kids on the team feed of their attitudes and start acting just like them........ Here's the sad part! Most Coaches and society wont do the right thing because it's not politically correct to tell it like it is...You might scar the child for life if you call him out....So what we have today is a generation of kids who take no responsibility for their actions and the grown-ups feeding the monster.......

Saw this kid throw a fit at the Wendys classic and they put him on the bench. He went off on the bench and they took him off the floor to the lockeroom. Thing is ,he could be a big part of the team as he has the size but his attitude needs to change before he has some major problems.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

That KID (remember folks he is a kid), brought Wheelersburg back last night. His cousin just got the last laugh with the game winner.

hoops37
Waterboy

Post by hoops37 »

We are talking about high school athletics. Why not let the young man grow up some on the team??? Adults on here behind their big bad keyboard saying how a 16 year old should act.

I say kudos to coach ater and staff for having the patience to help this young man. This is what high school athletics is all about. Teaching kids life lessons about how to respond to adversity. At the end of the day, the records, trophies, basketball go away. What you are left with is who are you, how do you conduct yourself, and what legacy do you plan on leaving!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

hoops37 wrote:We are talking about high school athletics. Why not let the young man grow up some on the team??? Adults on here behind their big bad keyboard saying how a 16 year old should act.

I say kudos to coach ater and staff for having the patience to help this young man. This is what high school athletics is all about. Teaching kids life lessons about how to respond to adversity. At the end of the day, the records, trophies, basketball go away. What you are left with is who are you, how do you conduct yourself, and what legacy do you plan on leaving!
Either you are Ater himself, or are completely oblivious to the situation. This isn't a single isolated incident. This is a recurring incident and "punishments" were reduced in order to get him back on the floor for certain games. His behavior has continued to be the same with technicals, constant smack talking opponents, etc. Nothing has changed.

Your mentality is part of the problem with today's culture and youth. Just let them "keep figuring it out" instead of punishing them accordingly and holding them responsible for their actions. I'm all for helping kids and keeping them around when they make a mistake or two. But when they repeatedly make the same mistakes and are not being held accountable --- how are they benefitting? Other than the wins because his talent is obvious, but how is he as an individual learning? What about the other kids who see this go on frequently with little to no punishment?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Congratulations to Coach Rolfe and the Valley players on the win. Best wishes to all area teams come tourney time.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's sum this whole thing up!!!! If this kid was a 5 '8 nobody he would have been dismissed from the team a long time ago!!!!! Has nothing to do with patience and trying to teach this kid!! it's about winning! That's why he's still on the team.....If it were about teaching him a life lesson and truly trying to help this kid he would be on the bench or off the team! PERIOD!!! He's being enabled!!! Their crippling this kid!! he thinks he can say and do as he pleases.....and apparently he's right.....What a great life lesson is being taught!!!! I'm through with this.....

hoops37 Posts: 15Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Report this post

Unread postby hoops37 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:18 am

We are talking about high school athletics. Why not let the young man grow up some on the team??? Adults on here behind their big bad keyboard saying how a 16 year old should act.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

^^^^^ this is the worst statement I've ever saw on here and I'm including myself. No one knows this kids situation. Ater has suspended him and monitors him constantly. A coach should do everything in their power to use their talent. He could have a future at a small school. You don't just give up on a kid that's immature. One day it may click, and he will be a better person.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

Even as a burg fan I must admit it's not always about winning. Keep in mind several kids have quit this year and I'm sure this type of stuff is what pushed them over the edge. Yes kids quit sports all the time but it's hard to give it your all every day and have a good attitude and someone who doesn't and had a bad attitude gets rewarded over u.

BurgBB
Waterboy

Post by BurgBB »

Lots of frustration. Very little player development at all going on

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sounds like junior not getting enough playing time.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

38 posts
Previous

wobycat Posts: 152Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:35 pmContact:
Contact wobycat

Report this post

Postby wobycat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:00 pm

^^^^^ this is the worst statement I've ever saw on here and I'm including myself. No one knows this kids situation. Ater has suspended him and monitors him constantly. A coach should do everything in their power to use their talent. He could have a future at a small school. You don't just give up on a kid that's immature. One day it may click, and he will be a better person

Go ahead and try to dramatize this now! When is it time to give up on a kid woby? The last game of the year? Never? Obvisously the suspension and monitoring isn't taking....As far as I'm concerned the one's giving up on this kid are the one's giving in to this type behavior with excuses and rewarding poor sportsmanship.......Without punishment or consequences things will get worse when it means the most... Basketball means nothing...It's a game..... It's not fair for kids who are giving 100% with good attitudes sit and watch someone being rewarded......Like I said if this kid had little talent he would be off the team......You're right woby, one day it might click and he'll be a better person.... You say no one knows this kids situation...Nope I don't...but I know one thing....whatever his situation is doesn't give him a right to be rewarded for the behavior I've seen.....

Return to “Boys Basketball”