Best Coaches in the region

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Best Coaches in the region

Post by 93Bulldog »

Give me one game to win and I'm taking Norm Persin.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Norm? Sheeeesh.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Norm. 2009 national coach of the year

tvcpowerhouse2011
Waterboy

Post by tvcpowerhouse2011 »

Howie Caldwell. Hands down.

Bucknuts15
Waterboy

Post by Bucknuts15 »

1.barrick
2. bailey
3.i love what Kyle Miller is doing
This is just the coaches I've seen this season and imo

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

UKNate wrote:Buecler, Persin, Barrick, Ater(in no order)
With all due respect, Ater does not belong in the same class as those guys. Ater has only coached talented teams, he jumped ship at Webster when the talent ran dry.

In my mind, a true coach's value is determined by what they do with less talented teams. Barrick has proved what he can do with that. As has Norm. As has Beucler.

It's easy to look good when you follow the talent.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don't know Kyle miller but he was coaching a biddy ball game this year that I was at. I talked to him. He said I'm the high school coach filling in. This guy can flat out coach. He coaches the players in the game from tip to end. I realize it was a biddy ball game but it was impressive. He is going to be asked by many schools for him to coach there.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote:
With all due respect, Ater does not belong in the same class as those guys. Ater has only coached talented teams, he jumped ship at Webster when the talent ran dry.

In my mind, a true coach's value is determined by what they do with less talented teams. Barrick has proved what he can do with that. As has Norm. As has Beucler.

I agree that Ater doesn't belong with that class because he hasn't coached as long, but you're way off on the talent thing. Burg had no talent last year and he took them to the convo. He jumped ship at south Webster because he wanted a different environment.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

"Tom Barrick"

I remember that, when Beuclar's son, R.J. Beuclar played for Eastern, they Beat Barrick's Wheelersburg team by 22 points in the District semifinals at Athens. Barrick had the big kid who played at Wright State (Berleson), then. Didn't help him. I've seen both of them coach dozens and dozens of games. I'd take Beuclar any day.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

But, I wouldn't argue with the guy who chose Persin, or the guy who took Howie Caldwell. Both of them are terrific coaches as is Matt Combs. Beuclar, Barrick, Persin, Caldwell and Combs ALL have to be among the best coaches in Ohio.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

I agree that Ater doesn't belong with that class because he hasn't coached as long, but you're way off on the talent thing. Burg had no talent last year and he took them to the convo. He jumped ship at south Webster because he wanted a different environment.
You might want to do some research on that.

Also, the Burg team last year was fine in talent. Not loaded, but fine. Several seniors that contributed, obvious top notch athletes (look at how far they go in football and basketball).

He was just a few games over 500 last year so let's not act like it was some miraculous coaching job. Lynchburg lost a 28 ppg scorer so Burg had the draw of a century, anyone who watches basketball knows that.

Has the talent the last 3 years at Burg been better than the talent at SW last 3 years? It's not even close. He knew what he was doing, he's all
About W's and reputation, not building a program.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don't even know you bball but me and you and three girls could have beat that team. Their center was listed at 6ft 2 which was taken with his boots on. Come on man. The talent is always going to be better at burg. They have way more athletes to choose from. And there is no research to be needed. Ater left because he had a different opportunity. He doesn't go if no one offers.

Persin and barrick both moved to different opportunities.

The point you made was the reference that Ater could only coach talent. That team we were referring too were not bsdketball athletic

Post by Karma »

Eugene Collins and Jim arnzen at Portsmouth High School . Lol not even a mention of them. And they have taken the Trojans to the state tournament twice in last five years. And Trojans with the most impressive record over that time.

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

Spud wrote:"Tom Barrick"

I remember that, when Beuclar's son, R.J. Beuclar played for Eastern, they Beat Barrick's Wheelersburg team by 22 points in the District semifinals at Athens. Barrick had the big kid who played at Wright State (Berleson), then. Didn't help him. I've seen both of them coach dozens and dozens of games. I'd take Beuclar any day.
Is that when Eastern Brown had the two tremendous Austrailan transfers and they reached the final 4?

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

Caldwell, Persin, LaFon, Collins, Stivison are all excellent basketball coaches.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Howie is a very good coach but even better at recruiting and chasing the talent.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bird Dog wrote:Howie is a very good coach but even better at recruiting and chasing the talent.
There are a few of those on this list.

HoopsGenius
Waterboy

Post by HoopsGenius »

Excellent names being kicked around. I think a few may be considered great in time, but mentioning some with the likes of Persin and Barrick right now is just silly. I would list them into 3 groups(1. top coaches, 2. solid coaches, 3. potentially great coaches).

For example
1. Top coaches-list those made the state tourney, or 3 or more districts champs, or maybe 5 or more league champs)
2. Solid coaches-make the regional finals, District championship or minimum 4 sectional titles, or minimum 3 league championships)
3. Potential great coaches-??? not sure what to use

I'm sure not perfect but good place to start. Im sure my list is not complete!
It would be interesting to group coaches by this or some other standard. I will try...

1. Top Coaches : 1. Persin 2. Barrick 3. Stiverson 4. Howie Caldwell 5. Beucler 6. Combs 7. Collins 8. Lafon? 9. Davis who else??

2. Solid Coaches: 1. Arey 2. Ater 3. Jeff Caldwell 4. Fitch 5. Mader ? 6. Shoemaker? 7. Rolfe? 8. Simms (not sure of # titles?) who else?

3. Potential: Miller is one to watch and is doing a great job. Howell from S. Gallia? others??

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Blaine Maddox is one of the top coaches in all of SEO!

MyOpinion
Waterboy

Post by MyOpinion »

HoopsGenius,
Great Post! I agree that there are many different aspects to a great coaches.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Hoops genius, I like where you are headed with this. Wonder where Hoops falls in at.

Return to “Boys Basketball”