SEOPS HOF

Re: Vinton County (19-4) vs Unioto (23-1) - district semi-final

Post by 93Bulldog »

Big win for the Vikings and the TVC!

Kennyk
Riding the Bench

Post by Kennyk »

Way to go Vikings, you never quit!! Down 14 in the third and come back and win 50-47!! Proud to be a Viking tonight!!!

Kennyk
Riding the Bench

Post by Kennyk »

I still think my heart is beating 150 a minute!!!

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

At the half VC's big 3 had a combined 1 point and were only down 10. Sophomore Naylen Yates stepped up huge with 19 points tonight.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto with 17 turnovers and shot 6-13 from the line. Surprisingly shot 50% from the field, but when you aren't getting shots off, your scoring is down.

VC knocks down 20-27 FT and attacked the basket all night.

Congrats to Coach Combs and the Vikings on the win.

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

congrats guys represent the tvc

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

hateraid wrote:At the half VC's big 3 had a combined 1 point and were only down 10. Sophomore Naylen Yates stepped up huge with 19 points tonight.
Yates was a key player last Friday also in the win vs. Warren. His most critical play then was a foul line jumper which he drained, seeming to have the poise of a veteran, on a shot that cut the Warren lead to one with less than 2 minutes left.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Outcoached and outworked
VC the class of the TVC !

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

I'm embarrassed to be a Unioto fan right now. We were all just witness to the slowest death of state championship caliber team in the history of sports. After the closing run by VC to cap off the 3rd quarter, you could see the life being sucked out of Unioto. Turnover after turnover. Offensive rhythm still somewhere in Chillicothe and unable to attend tonight's contest. Unadjusted defensive sets. A mirror image to the Walnut Ridgr loss last season. Unioto has THE best off season program in the SEOP area. Last season they didn't have to do much to run the table besides show up. When this years team actually needed to be pulled aside, looked at, and reevaluated, it was nowhere to be found. Yeah, they went 23-2, but they didn't really beat anybody in their close games. They snuck away a couple times and got by. Never scoring more than 50 in the tournament for a team that averages close to 70 PPG. Matt Hoops is fantastic. His players play for him. I just with his staff would do something productive for him.

Let me be clear. I wanted to see Cole Cottrill play just as much as anybody, but at what cost? The offense was totally out of rhythm and it was immediately clear that they weren't scoring well with him on the court because they had become accustomed to playing without him. Yet, the bench staff behind Hoops felt it was necessary to not transition him into game speed, BUT PLAY HIM FULL MINUTES. He simply wasn't ready to go and nobody caught on.

Unioto, internally, beat themselves tonight. Huge huge huge congrats to Coach Combs and his kids for their work and their effort tonight. Sometimes you don't have to be better to win, you just have to make the right calls at the right time.

Back to back slow bleeding deaths to unioto's basketball seasons. Something I hope never happens again.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

The turning point in this game was the ridiculous intentional foul. After that VC had all the momentum. Also, seemed like everytime VC attacked the basket UHS's only defense was to foul and VC killed them from the line. Once Combs exposed that weakness he took advantage of it the rest of the night.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

hateraid wrote:The turning point in this game was the ridiculous intentional foul. After that VC had all the momentum. Also, seemed like everytime VC attacked the basket UHS's only defense was to foul and VC killed them from the line. Once Combs exposed that weakness he took advantage of it the rest of the night.
yeah, glad he got up because how he landed looked terrible

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

winningaintcheap wrote:I'm embarrassed to be a Unioto fan right now. We were all just witness to the slowest death of state championship caliber team in the history of sports. After the closing run by VC to cap off the 3rd quarter, you could see the life being sucked out of Unioto. Turnover after turnover. Offensive rhythm still somewhere in Chillicothe and unable to attend tonight's contest. Unadjusted defensive sets. A mirror image to the Walnut Ridgr loss last season. Unioto has THE best off season program in the SEOP area. Last season they didn't have to do much to run the table besides show up. When this years team actually needed to be pulled aside, looked at, and reevaluated, it was nowhere to be found. Yeah, they went 23-2, but they didn't really beat anybody in their close games. They snuck away a couple times and got by. Never scoring more than 50 in the tournament for a team that averages close to 70 PPG. Matt Hoops is fantastic. His players play for him. I just with his staff would do something productive for him.

Let me be clear. I wanted to see Cole Cottrill play just as much as anybody, but at what cost? The offense was totally out of rhythm and it was immediately clear that they weren't scoring well with him on the court because they had become accustomed to playing without him. Yet, the bench staff behind Hoops felt it was necessary to not transition him into game speed, BUT PLAY HIM FULL MINUTES. He simply wasn't ready to go and nobody caught on.

Unioto, internally, beat themselves tonight. Huge huge huge congrats to Coach Combs and his kids for their work and their effort tonight. Sometimes you don't have to be better to win, you just have to make the right calls at the right time.

Back to back slow bleeding deaths to unioto's basketball seasons. Something I hope never happens again.
Unioto is a very solid basketball team, but to call them state championship caliber, especially after the injury to Cottrill, is a massive stretch.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

So it was the Unioto assistant coaches' fault?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats to VC and the TVC

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:So it was the Unioto assistant coaches' fault?
Apparently so. As someone very close to the program, I won't even give that a reply.

Good luck to the Vikings next Friday night.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Sometimes it is best just to stay away from a keyboard overnight and let the sting of disappointment melt away a bit.

Big win for VC, now go get the district final wrapped up.

TVC represents.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Congratulations to the Vinton County Vikings. That was a huge win.

Go TVC!

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

Unioto, a very good team, was not state tournament caliber. I doubt that VC is, either.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Rarely is a southeast district team 'state tournament caliber' ... That's life living south of Lancaster ... Just enjoy the district tournament and hope for the best in the regionals.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

93Bulldog wrote:Rarely is a southeast district team 'state tournament caliber' ... That's life living south of Lancaster ... Just enjoy the district tournament and hope for the best in the regionals.
Agreed. Looking at the Regional teams VC/FU vs John Glen(most likely winning their District), Morgan County (most likely winning their District) vs probably Whitehall a regional championship run would be a VERY tall order for either team in the South East District. But stranger things have happened.

Return to “Boys Basketball”