Best Coaches in the region

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Best Coaches in the region

Post by danicalifornia »

Just going with guys not mentioned: obviously, Norm, Barrick, Beuchler, Combs, Stiverson, Howie, Collins, LaFon, etc are great places to start.

Maddox would definitely be in the top coaches category. Something like 8 straight sectional titles, a district and regional title, then they have dominated the SEOAL for a while. Dude can flat out coach.

Hoops has to be mentioned somewhere, I won't make that argument for where, but taking the Unioto program from where it was to where it is now was a crazy task. 4 league titles, 3 sectional titles, and a district title all in the past 5 years. Only because I'm close with the program is why I won't make any argument, but I know that things are set up very well from biddy ball on up and organized extremely well.

Has Gary Kellough not been mentioned? Won a state title at Chillicothe and I think 5 out of 6 years he won a district title there as well. Did a great job in his first year at Logan.

Eversole at Fairfield Union is another young coach who is doing great things with a traditionally poor program.

Carson at Lynchburg has been a HC since he was 20 and I'm not even sure if he's 30 yet, but his teams are always prepared and will be for years to come.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote:Just going with guys not mentioned: obviously, Norm, Barrick, Beuchler, Combs, Stiverson, Howie, Collins, LaFon, etc are great places to start.

Maddox would definitely be in the top coaches category. Something like 8 straight sectional titles, a district and regional title, then they have dominated the SEOAL for a while. Dude can flat out coach.

Hoops has to be mentioned somewhere, I won't make that argument for where, but taking the Unioto program from where it was to where it is now was a crazy task. 4 league titles, 3 sectional titles, and a district title all in the past 5 years. Only because I'm close with the program is why I won't make any argument, but I know that things are set up very well from biddy ball on up and organized extremely well.

Has Gary Kellough not been mentioned? Won a state title at Chillicothe and I think 5 out of 6 years he won a district title there as well. Did a great job in his first year at Logan.

Eversole at Fairfield Union is another young coach who is doing great things with a traditionally poor program.

Carson at Lynchburg has been a HC since he was 20 and I'm not even sure if he's 30 yet, but his teams are always prepared and will be for years to come.
The old fart is 30 now

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Before Eugene Collins took over at Portsmouth, the Trojans went 67-108 from 2003-2009, 7 straight losing seasons which was the longest in school history. Since he became head coach in 2009-2010, he has compiled a record of 122-48, with 2 Final 4's (2011 and 2012--state runnerup), a district runnerup (2014), and a regional runnerup (2015). The Trojans also won 2 SEOAL titles (2012 and 2014) and 1 OVC title (2015).

In regional play, Coach Collins is 5-0 combined vs. Barrick, Lafon, and Ryan Davis (Chesapeake). Two of those wins were in the regional finals, against Davis in 2011 (69-68), and Lafon in 2012 (50-40). Portsmouth beat Wheelersburg with Barrick as coach in the 2011 regional semifinal 45-39.

Coach Collins took over a program in disarray and turned it around immediately (12-7 his first year).

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Best of the Best Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line (in no particular order - just who comes to mind as I type) :

* Coach Caldwell (Trimble)
* Coach Persin (Oak Hill)
* Coach Barrick (Eastern Pike)
* Coach Collins ( Portsmouth)
* Coach Beucler (Eastern Brown)
* Coach Maddox (Warren)
* Coach Davis (Chesapeake)
* Coach Hoops (Unioto)
* Coach Kellough (Logan)
* Coach Combs (Vinton County)
* Coach Stiverson & Coach Holbert ( Logan Elm)
* Coach LaFon ( Ironton)
* Coach Saunders (Symmes Valley)
* Coach Speed ( Fairland)
* Coach Rolfe (Lucasville Valley)

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

93Bulldog wrote:Blaine Maddox is one of the top coaches in all of SEO!
Currently Blaine has somewhere around 250 wins while averaging right around 17 wins a year during his time at Warren. If memory serves me correctly, since the 2010-2011 season Warren is 126-22.

Go Blue
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Coach Stiverson at Logan Elm has won six league championships, four districts, two district runner-up and a regional title.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

I'm embarrassed at having forgotten to mention Stiverson among the really great coaches who's teams appear in the Convo. He can take a pretty average group of kids and get them to play amazing basketball. A truly great coach.

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

Spud wrote:Rob Beuclar, of Eastern Brown is one of the best coaches in the southern half of the state. Year in and year out, his teams are well prepared for whatever comes along. This year's team is not terribly talented, but, they will not be a pushover for anybody.
Rob Bueclar is my favorite coach at the Convo; engaged and classy. Plus, he promises me a steak dinner just about every year but has yet to deliver. What up with that, RB?

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

The Wheelerburg coach, today, had his mind on something else.

MyOpinion
Waterboy

Post by MyOpinion »

I think Carson from LC elevated his stock today.

Return to “Boys Basketball”