Western vs East District Final

brown22
Varsity

Re: Western vs East District Final

Post by brown22 »

biggdowgg wrote:
Mailman wrote:Be very good conference again next year. East, Clay and ND I know return all their players!! Congrats to Western on the win and congrats to East on the great year!!

I'm thinking Western and Eastern Pike are very young also
whole conference is pretty much back

GO EAGLES
Blue33
Freshman Team

Post by Blue33 »

Our fans are no different than any others. The whiners on here are the ones that just don't like East. You can find those types on any thread on any topic. It's part of it I guess. Watching East all year I can say they did not play well. Hats off to Western they wanted it more. Way too many turnovers and not taking care of the basketball. As far as those talking about Brown and the technical foul, it should not have been called. It is on video obviously. It was a continuation of the play as the whistle was being blown and he was blocking the shot and the ball hit a ref. The ref thought he threw the ball at him because he was called for a foul. The other refs should have stepped in and corrected him but did not. Maybe they didn't see it? What's done is done. Good lick Western...

Blue33
Freshman Team

Post by Blue33 »

Good luck not "lick" gotta love iPhones..

Jackie Moon
Riding the Bench

Post by Jackie Moon »

Does anybody know why the one official stopped at the end of the court as he was going into the locker room and took off his shoes leaving them at the end of the floor? This was done on the Western end of the floor? Not trying to be disrespectful to the officials just curious. :?:
Great game, congratulations to Western and good luck in the Regionals.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Jackie Moon wrote:Does anybody know why the one official stopped at the end of the court as he was going into the locker room and took off his shoes leaving them at the end of the floor? This was done on the Western end of the floor? Not trying to be disrespectful to the officials just curious. :?:
I believe it was Dave Hopkins and his last game as an official (I believe 25 years of reffing). Just his way of hanging it up.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Hopkins pulled the Tim Riggins with the shoes. Congrats on a great officiating career.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Saying East fans are "no worse than other schools" shows you are in complete denial.

The play where Brown got a technical was literally right infront of where I was sitting. It was not a "continuation." The foul was called as the boy was in the motion of shooting (while attacking the rim), ball went up and was tipped during the foul call, as it came down Brown smacked it and it went right at the referee. Whether he meant to hit it at the referee, who knows, maybe not. But smacking the ball and pounding the ball off the ground after a whistles blown results in the same thing - a technical.

Why didn't East's coach call timeout with 15-20 seconds left? They had the ball under their rim, up 2 with 2 timeouts left. East looked confused as to who should even throw the ball in. They panic, turn it over and Western scores to tie it up.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I dont hate East, never crossed paths with their team or fans. But i'm gonna say after sitting & watching every game this year, the sciotoville fans were a tad more obnoxious than the rest ... With that being said, Waterford returns its entire team too, which should make next years D4 district on helluva tournament!

fanofsports
Waterboy

Post by fanofsports »

js7_22 wrote:
Jackie Moon wrote:Does anybody know why the one official stopped at the end of the court as he was going into the locker room and took off his shoes leaving them at the end of the floor? This was done on the Western end of the floor? Not trying to be disrespectful to the officials just curious. :?:
I believe it was Dave Hopkins and his last game as an official (I believe 25 years of reffing). Just his way of hanging it up.
Yes you are correct... That was Hopkins' final game as an official.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Blue33 wrote:Our fans are no different than any others. The whiners on here are the ones that just don't like East. You can find those types on any thread on any topic. It's part of it I guess. Watching East all year I can say they did not play well. Hats off to Western they wanted it more. Way too many turnovers and not taking care of the basketball. As far as those talking about Brown and the technical foul, it should not have been called. It is on video obviously. It was a continuation of the play as the whistle was being blown and he was blocking the shot and the ball hit a ref. The ref thought he threw the ball at him because he was called for a foul. The other refs should have stepped in and corrected him but did not. Maybe they didn't see it? What's done is done. Good lick Western...

I'm not sure you watched the game, because it was the "other" refs who called the technical, not the one who was dodging a ball at his face, and the ball was NOT a continuation of the blocked shot.

Blue33
Freshman Team

Post by Blue33 »

I watched the game mr expert...

LAIndian
Waterboy

Post by LAIndian »

It was oblivious that Mr. Brown did not mean to hit a ref. He just swiped the ball out of the air in frustration. He just got caught. The only thing I can compare it to is when a player slams the ball at the floor in frustration after a foul call. He would get T'd up most of the time.
But, I will say this to anyone who didn't like the call. I believe Western was at 10 fouls, and East was in the double bonus before regulation was over. So they (East) got ALL the calls they wanted. It was a fairly rough game, and although there were a few calls that I didn't agree with. It was a better than average called game by the officials. They did their best to keep this game in check.

And, as for the last play of the game. I understand that the coach is going to complain about the non call. Most every coach would in that situation. But Scott never had possession of the ball, and there was a scrum for it. No Ref is gonna bail the player out on a heave like that unless its blatantly over aggressive. That is just my opinion on those two situations.

I know that asb poster has stated all along that this would, or could go either way. And, I agreed with him then. The whole "hard to beat a team 3 times" adage is silly to me. You either can, or cannot. These two teams played close in both games during the regular season. It came down to a few plays here, and there on Saturday. And, a heroic effort by Perdue.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Great write-up LA! Couldn't be more proud of the boys for their performance Saturday. Let's keep it rolling!

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Blue33 wrote:I watched the game mr expert...

If you watched the game, you wouldn't make blatantly false statements like the one claiming the official who had the ball tossed at him assessed the technical. You also would have seen that the ball was not in flight from continuation of the play.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Lets be honest on a few things, East losing Brown hurt in the final few minutes but also not taking care of the ball and free throws hurt them a lot. They hit free throws late and dont turn the ball over they win. Western took advantage of them. Also allowing Purdue to get close to if not 40 hurt.

As far as fans some East fans can get out of control; however, every school has them. I do not see people bringing up things on other schools fans. Such as when a Northwest player went into the stands from the bench from what was being said to him from a South Webster crowd or how other fans act from area schools. To classify how an entire fan base is off of a select few and how they act is absurd.

Those are facts

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Tartanblue wrote:Lets be honest on a few things, East losing Brown hurt in the final few minutes but also not taking care of the ball and free throws hurt them a lot. They hit free throws late and dont turn the ball over they win. Western took advantage of them. Also allowing Purdue to get close to if not 40 hurt.

As far as fans some East fans can get out of control; however, every school has them. I do not see people bringing up things on other schools fans. Such as when a Northwest player went into the stands from the bench from what was being said to him from a South Webster crowd or how other fans act from area schools. To classify how an entire fan base is off of a select few and how they act is absurd.

Those are facts

Did you really just mention an incident that happened OVER 10 years ago that stemmed from a student section? Nice, that's interesting.

You know, because how students act and how ADULTS act at games are always the exact same. Kids will be kids (and should also be punished when they cross lines). Adults should know better.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Tartanblue, people do not have a problem with East's student section-or even the dads-it's the crowd of women that are standing, screaming, and berating the refs the entire game. If you do not think that they are out of control then I don't know what to tell you.
Yes, every school has crazy fans. But do they have a section of 25 women stand the entire time and act like that? I haven't seen anything like it. We have our fair-share of crazies in Latham, but nothing like that.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

CharlieHustle wrote:Tartanblue, people do not have a problem with East's student section-or even the dads-it's the crowd of women that are standing, screaming, and berating the refs the entire game. If you do not think that they are out of control then I don't know what to tell you.
Yes, every school has crazy fans. But do they have a section of 25 women stand the entire time and act like that? I haven't seen anything like it. We have our fair-share of crazies in Latham, but nothing like that.

Agree 100%.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

CharlieHustle wrote:Tartanblue, people do not have a problem with East's student section-or even the dads-it's the crowd of women that are standing, screaming, and berating the refs the entire game. If you do not think that they are out of control then I don't know what to tell you.
I agree ...

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

93Bulldog wrote:
I agree ...
I agree, but it does give me entertainment.

GO EAGLES

Return to “Boys Basketball”