John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

Post by bbjunky81 »

OSH wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:Koen Riehl signed with D2 Nyack in NY.

That's the only one I know of, unless there is another.
That's all I knew of too. He doesn't play basketball either.

This article said he was 2nd team All State for Division 2, and scored 56 goals in 2 years. Not sure if that makes him a Division 1 recruit, but those are some impressive numbers.

http://www.daily-jeff.com/local%20sport ... hio-honors

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Yeah Mvl player of the year, all district, 2nd team all state. 29 goals in one season. Soccer isn't like football though, most recruiting happens in club season and he only plays for a Zanesville team so that probably hasn't helped get him noticed.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

John Glen is fun to watch , they play hard and never take a play off .

Looking forward to Saturday

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to Coach Combs and the Vikings on an outstanding year. Being the only D2 SE District champion is something to be very proud of.

John Glenn was just CLEARLY better, and the officials had absolutely NOTHING to do with the outcome.

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

bbjunky81 wrote:
OSH wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:Koen Riehl signed with D2 Nyack in NY.

That's the only one I know of, unless there is another.
That's all I knew of too. He doesn't play basketball either.

This article said he was 2nd team All State for Division 2, and scored 56 goals in 2 years. Not sure if that makes him a Division 1 recruit, but those are some impressive numbers.

I don't want to hijack a basketball thread, but they may be impressive numbers...but it's largely in a League that has little-to-no respect statewide (not to mentioned nationwide).

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

OSH wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:
OSH wrote: That's all I knew of too. He doesn't play basketball either.

I don't want to hijack a basketball thread, but they may be impressive numbers...but it's largely in a League that has little-to-no respect statewide (not to mentioned nationwide).
Very correct. Which to me is why the best kids need to be playing on the best club teams.

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

Falcon01 wrote:
OSH wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

Very correct. Which to me is why the best kids need to be playing on the best club teams.
Well, yes, but club is largely watered down anymore. The notion of "best" club teams is tough to really clarify.

That, and, it's extremely tough for those in southeastern Ohio to have accessibility to the "best" club teams.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yeah. Athens was the only team to actually give Desales a match. 1-1 tie at half. I don't think anyone other than Athens scored on Desales. Athens did have a player that plays on one of the top tier soccer club teams. The only difference is Desales has a whole roster of those kids

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Raider6309 wrote:Yeah. Athens was the only team to actually give Desales a match. 1-1 tie at half. I don't think anyone other than Athens scored on Desales. Athens did have a player that plays on one of the top tier soccer club teams. The only difference is Desales has a whole roster of those kids
YEP. Those central district teams are full of club players.

The SE kids not having access is an excuse for me. Especially these days where kids are traveling all over to play. Find the best club team you can.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

In central district you mean Desales? They have won 9 of the last 15 regional titles

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It's like AAU basketball. It's All Ohio, OBC, and King James
Athens has Lutz on OBC and Ibi Watson on All Ohio. Those are two big time recruits to come out of this region

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Raider6309 wrote:In central district you mean Desales? They have won 9 of the last 15 regional titles
Desales, hartley, bexley, every d1 school.... yeah pretty much every columbus area team.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yeah I remember Athens losing to Bexley 2-1 back in 2003. I'm just saying there's a big difference from Desales to Athens or the mid state league.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

Some of the JG fans are so obnoxious you almost hope they lose, don't you?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I was sitting in a section around a lot of John Glenn fans. I had a good conversation with a few of them about their school and VC. I thought they were very classy and had plenty of nice things to say about VC. They also said that the refs were not making it easy on us. Their words. Not mine. With that said, there were some questionable calls/non calls, especially in the first half. It was disappointing because we (VC) needed every close call to go our way. Every bounce. Every loose ball. We needed the stars to align. We also needed the game to be called loose. Every game this tournament has been physical and we needed to play that way vs john Glenn. The refs decided to call it tight. THATS probably why a lot of VC fans were upset. It is what it is. John Glenn is the best team I've ever seen in my life at the high school level. I hope they win state. I told their fans that at the game. Congrats Vikings on an outstanding year. On to spring sports.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

hateraid wrote:
Jim Ryan wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:

Seriously?????? You are saying the officials had anything to do with this? Wow, show some semblance of class. Didn't make it last night, but just reading this makes roll my eyes to the back of the head. VC had a great season, they always play their tails off and I'm sure yesterday was no different, but to read comments about how the officials helped cause this is a Trump like mentality, let's blame others!
Were the officials bad enough to cause the coach to chase them off the floor? When that happened the other night at the Convo some guy from Athens said the VC coach did that when Athens beat them at VC. So I was just wondering if these refs were that bad?
No. The refs were not that bad. Was there calls missed??? Yes (and they seemed to miss more on the VC side) Did it have any thing to do with the outcome of the game??? NO.
Exactly what I was saying hate raid. Unfortunately some like the barlowbutthead didn't get it.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

As someone who is very close to the program and has watched every Vinton County Vikings basketball game over the last 20 years, and many other high school basketball games, I weep for the state of the game. I ran into a well-known official from the southeast district shopping on Saturday, he has done sectional, districts, boys and girls games, who has 32 years of experience of officiating and he concurred. He, like me, say that there is just not enough interests from individuals that could make a difference on the officiating side. And those that are in, are contemplating their place within the game because of the politics of it all. If you don't know the right people, have the right relationship, or "grease" the right palm, you don't get tournament games. We have to remember, although they are officials, they are human. They want to be the "best," they want to be "respected," and they want to be "chosen" for tournament games.

As far as this game, I believe that there is a fundamental flaw in the tournament officiating and that being officiating crews are not working together. You would think that it shouldn't matter and that a foul is a foul, and a violation is a violation. However, the official I ran into, stated that there is a rhythm, trust, and being on the same page to a crew. Just as you would suspect from a basketball team, there is among veteran crews the same rhythm, trust, and knowing where you are suppose to be when you are supposed to be there.

That was clearly evident last Thursday night. There are several calls that stick out to me. First, late in the first half the trail official (the last official up the floor) called a charge. That should never happen. What was he thinking, the lead official (the official closest to the play) miss it, he didn't trust him to make that call or what? We don't know, because we can't ask him. In all of my years of watching high school basketball, I don't think I have ever seen a trail official call a charging foul. Secondly, in the second half, one of ours, was driving to the hoop and got his feet tangled up with the JG defender as he tried to spin, he was call for the charge, but on film, the JG player was clearing running with him trying to get into a legal defensive position. The lead official was not able to get back to the baseline like he should have, called the VC kid for charging. However, and I seen this on film, the call should have been traveling against the VC player. Lastly, as this post is getting too long. In the first quarter, Rackley received the ball from above the right elbow, ripped threw as good players do, went right, our defender said later, "I was beat and I fouled him." However, Rackley took one dribble, took his step and scored, and the official counted the basket. It was NBA continuation at its best, which should never happen in high school basketball. The very next trip, our player gets mugged in the lane, missed the basket, no call, rebound to JG and they were off to the races. That my friends is what the casual fan gets irritated about, the inconsistency of it all and not working together fosters inconsistency. Where were those officials from, you may ask? Two were from the Southwest District and the other from the Northeast, so chances are, they have never worked together.

Do I think we could have beaten John Glenn. No. Absolutely not. I am still trying to decide if they are best high school team I have ever seen. I don't think so, maybe my list goes something like this:

5). 2016 John Glenn
4). 2008 Chillicothe
3). 2000 ASVSM
2). 2006 North College Hill
1). 2001 ASVSM

Again, like I said before, the last time we were in the situation we lost to the eventual state champion. Therefore, Go John Glenn!

Also, you can follow Vinton County Vikings Basketball on Facebook. Please, feel free to stop by and like our page.

https://www.facebook.com/Vinton-County- ... 163930972/

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Congrats to Coach Matt Combs for another outstanding season. Matt has a knack for getting 110% from his kids. During our games when I coached at Piketon and even our scrimmages now at Northridge, I can always count on VC to bring it. Great job Matt.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Thank you Coach Lisath. We may just see you this summer.

Congratulations to John Glenn! Any day a public school beats a selective enrollment school is a great day! Very happy for the New Concord/East Muskingham community.

Return to “Boys Basketball”