Athens head coaching position

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Re: Athens head coaching position

Post by Raiderball »

Watson was still at Athens when Michigan started talking to him.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

This sounds like a raw deal to me.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Raiderball wrote:Watson was still at Athens when Michigan started talking to him.
Yeah, he went on a private workout with Michigan his freshman year

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote:I didn't see Lutz as a D1 player as a sophomore, but I thought he made a huge leap forward and now I really want him to head to Wright State. He's definitely a legit D1 player right now.
The injury set him back a little, but I think the leap you seen him take from soph to junior may happen again from junior to senior. The kid has matured beyond belief. I barely recognized him the other day. There is no doubt he is a D1 player. In fact, as far as just 'watching' a player play, I prefer watching Griff over Ibi and Burrow.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

IMO, Lutz is the best player in the TVC. He may not be big time D1, but he could find a home at smaller D1 schools.

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

DogHoopFan wrote:All of those D1 players were shaped by his discipline and toughness, just ask those kids. He made them all hard nosed players and it helped them in football. And the Watson kid got a full ride in basketball at Michigan - I don't know of another basketball coach around here that has produced a Big 10 player

I don't know his exact record against Warren, but he lost some pretty close games and had some games where Warren kids just played out of their minds and shot the lights out. If the Watson and stewart kids hadn't got lured away to Pickerington, those teams would have been unreal. He got coach of the year in the TVC 3 times and was 112-47. That is impressive for a league as tough as the TVC

I don't know if he didn't inimidate the superintendent, but he always said that Athens couldn't get a fair shake with the refs because they didn't like having to face him on the sidelines. I always got a kick out of watching him go after them. I hope another school picks him up
I'd venture to say AAU ball had a lot to do with it too

Go Cats, Go Buckeyes
ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

It sounds like DogHoopFan is just trying to stir the pot for the hatred of everything Athens. Griffin Lutz, IMO, is a D1 basketball player. The MAC would be a great place for him to land. Dalton Cozart, at least right now, is not a D1 basketball player. He is though only entering his Junior year and only plays one sport so maybe with some growth and strength, the possibility is still out there. If not, that is okay too. There are not very many D1 basketball players coming out of our area.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Raider6309 wrote:
Raiderball wrote:Watson was still at Athens when Michigan started talking to him.
Yeah, he went on a private workout with Michigan his freshman year
Private workouts are illegal under NCAA rules until after a student athlete graduates, are you suggesting that Watson broke rules and committed violations that could cost him his freshman year?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ok call it an "unofficial" visit, those are perfectly legal

DogHoopFan
Waterboy

Post by DogHoopFan »

Not trying to stir hatred ShoeHorn, just a long time fan who thought a good man and great coach got a raw deal. Im no basketball expert, I just hear people talking around town. I joined this place to speak up for him hoping he would keep his job at Athens

I've been going to games since Gibby was the coach, and will be there supporting who ever coaches the Dogs because I'm a fan. You can't argue that Coach had a hell of a run.Next to McAfee the most successful coach ever there

thebarlowbandit
All State

No one here is bashing Coach Skinner, actually people from, Warren, VC, Chillicothe and places I have no idea all think this is a sham. Some do differ on your take that he's invented the game, and your judge of talent. By all accounts, he's a good person. Personally, being from Warren the last 30 years, I'm not surprised.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

One thing is official thus far, 6'6 center Genesis Williams will not be playing for the Bulldogs. He will be suiting up for the Alexander Spartans this year.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

93Bulldog wrote:One thing is official thus far, 6'6 center Genesis Williams will not be playing for the Bulldogs. He will be suiting up for the Alexander Spartans this year.
Wow, that is great news for the Spartans. While the Bulldog "Exodus" (see what I did there) is starting any chance Griffin Lutz is going to be wearing the Black and Red next year too? (total rumor, no known truth to this post)

Good luck to everyone in the off season.

Go TVC.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The next 5 years Athens should be very good in basketball. Saw where 6'3 Butcher who will be a freshman next year is ranked 17 in his class for Ohio. Looks 6'3 260 but moves very good.
Last edited by Raider6309 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colsoh
Waterboy

Post by colsoh »

You often post things in a reckless fashion. If you want to quote rankings or why someone transfers or the future of a hs athlete you can apply to write for the prep review . Wouldn't that make sense? This is hs sports. Enjoy it but be careful of the youth name dropping. There are college coaches in the area and one of the nations best college refs in the area and even a certified basketball agent for pro players in Europe and NBA etc who probably do not even talk about this stuff. I hear the agent represented LeBron's St V team mates when they first went to Europe and remain in close contact.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Be interesting who our non conference will be next year.
Last year
1. FCA
2. Chesapeake
3. Bishop Watterson
4. Jackson
5. Warren
6. Coal Grove
7. New Lexington
8. Marietta
9. Circleville (didn't play)
10. Propel (didn't play)

Would like to see us play Chesapeake or Fairland next year

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Raider6309 wrote:Be interesting who our non conference will be next year.
Last year
1. FCA
2. Chesapeake
3. Bishop Watterson
4. Jackson
5. Warren
6. Coal Grove
7. New Lexington
8. Marietta
9. Circleville (didn't play)
10. Propel (didn't play)

Would like to see us play Chesapeake or Fairland next year
Logan Elm and Athens will be resuming their series this season. There was a break last year because of Logan Elm's trip to Florida.

Circleville will be off the schedule.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Thats good. I missed that Lutz vs Young battle

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I was told today Cozart landed the job. Haven't seen confirmation via an announcement from school, but I trust my source.

thebarlowbandit
All State

93Bulldog wrote:I was told today Cozart landed the job. Haven't seen confirmation via an announcement from school, but I trust my source.

That's funny, you guys hired a Biddy Ball Coach who lets a school board member have free access at his gym. Only thing better would be if the guy also has a kid on the team. If you think a peewee coach will survive in DII, good luck and GO BLUE

Return to “Boys Basketball”