Valley Indians (2007-2008)

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Indianfanof2,
I agree completely. If people do not want to support the young men on the court, they should just stay home. No, losing isn't fun for anyone. The effort and energy that these kids play with are refreshing. If they keep it up - the wins will start to fall in place. The games are entertaining and competitive. I think some people should get over the mentality that their kids should play all the time. If you are giving 100% of your effort and energy in a system like this 3-4 minutes will require a rest. I too see improvement from game to game and I am sure there will be improvement made before the next game.
Not to mention this man is teaching these kids to be better people. There is a bigger picture to some things than just who wins and who loses a contest. Anyone who has met this man knows that he has these young men's best interest at heart. He is "in it" for all the right reasons.
So, let's quit trying to undermine and tear down everything that the basketball coaching staff is trying to build up. Support the players, all of the players and judge the season when the season is over.
Good luck Indians, I still hear you comin'.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

I don't recall anybody stating anywhere on this thread that they didn't support the young men on the court.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

sideliner,
when everyone is second guessing the coaching staff it definitely affects the players. it makes it hard for the kid to decide "do i listen to my coaches or do i listen to dad mom, grandpa, uncle,or neighbor etc. who are all telling me something different?"
it has been my experience to let the coaches coach and the parents support all of the players on the team in a positive manner. politics only play a part when supporters have an agenda mostly about their son or daughter and their playing time or how they match up with the others on the team. too many people are worrying about competing with others on their own team rather than the opponent. too many parents are more concerned with their son or daughter out playing others on their own team and their own personal success. these people need to get their kid into golf, tennis, or wrestling, etc. where everything is based on individual achievement not team achievement.
Last edited by sparky on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Well said sparky.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

Sparky, have you seen any of the games this year? Now can you honestly say that there is no reason to second guess his coaching if you have actually sat through one. The only one affecting these kids is this coach himself. If he actually coached a team to a title, then he should know you have to make adjustments. It's the same ole same ole during every game. And if you are actually attending the games, then you would hear it all through the stands, even from the old faithfuls. I hate to be negative, but come on, enough is enough. I feel sorry for these kids. You have to know how to work with what you've got and if he hasn't figured it out by now, I don't know if he ever will. One thing I do agree with though, the politicing at Lucasville is rediculous. If it didn't go on, they wouldn't be in the shape they are now. You can't start a new program every few years and expect to win ballgames. They should have stuck with Lowe.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

let me get this straight, first you ran off lowe who had some good success, then you ran off mcgraw because he was too controlling, and now you are after villinger because he is turning the kids loose and letting them play. i guess you couldn't wait until they played more games to make judgement.
john wooden is still alive but i doubt that he could please the posters on this website from lucasville.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

First of all, I myself am not after Villinger, and there were just a couple who ran off Lowe and McGraw for that matter. I certainly hope they are happy with what they've got now. Maybe you should apply next year sparky.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

SIDELINER,
i was going to see if i could be your assistant.

E_Waugh
Freshman Team

Post by E_Waugh »

Ive heard enough about this... Lemme put my two cents in on this....

First and Foremost... Sports are supposed to be fun for the players.. And enjoyable for the Fans. And if theyre not winning.. YET. Which I know the circumstances.. Maybe theyre needing to take time to adjust to a new coaching approach... Let the kids play and let them have fun... Good things come to those who wait. So my Advice to all is Give Mr. Villinger a break and give him time to shape these kids into a great team. From my knowledge as well his past coaching jobs has been good and very noteworthy. Its very difficult to make a team in 1 year. Let alone the first 4 or 5 games. Or hence, OVERNIGHT.... I once was an avid fan of Valley sports but have since moved on. Even though I moved on doesnt mean I wish the very best for them. And even I myself know it takes time to make a team.

I for once said I wish the best for Valley and I still do to this day.

Thank you.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

It's always going to be this way @ Valley, you're always going to have people crying because their kids are not on the field or the court. It's pretty disgusting to see the parents try to live through the children, you've had your hayday folks...MOVE ON. I have kept up with this basketball team, and I like the way the new coach does it. I will be moving back into the area in the next few years, and if this is the way the school and sports is going to be run, I may look for homes to buy elsewhere. Hopefully they can get a grip out there and Valley sports and education can get back to what it was when we were all there.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

Yes, you're right, it's always going to be this way at Valley. That's why they have had 3 coaches in the last 4 years. Hopefully they will be happy with what they have now and get on track. Best of luck to them!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Give me a break! First and foremost, what the hell does it matter what the people in the stands are saying including the "old faithfuls"? I have been around the Valley program for a long time. I played on some of the best teams in the past 10-12 years and coached one of the most talented groups to come through Valley. People love to come on message boards and drill coaches for not working with what they have and making adjustments. You say that adjustments need to be made but what adjustments do you want to make? Against Oak Hill on Friday, Call was killing them on the blocks but our guards were not getting him the ball. However, after halftime we ran sets just to get Zach the ball, but Oak Hill adjusted and started to double. The coach did all he could do.

You say that he isn't "working with what he's got". Could you tell me what he has? What this team is is some good atheletes that are not big enough or strong enough to compete in a half court game. If you think that this group of kids can walk the ball up and beat people running a 10 pass motion offense, then you don't have a clue. This team has 10-11 guys that are roughly the same as far as true basketball ability. The only chance they have is to wear people out and force the action. I have watched two games and I will watch a lot more through the rest of the season. Over the last 3 years I have watched maybe 3-4 per season, because I could not tolerate how bad and boring we were. This year's team is different. They get up and down the floor and they play their butts off.

4 games and people are mad. Give it a rest. Our program is still trying to recover from running a coach out of town that won around 100 games in 6 seasons. Good luck to the guys and Coach V. We will get there and it will start tonight with a 70-63 win over Webster.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Good post Crabbie. Tell your uncle I said "hi"

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

^^^Not sure you know who I am.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Valley sounds the Greenup Co of Ohio. and no thats not a compliment. MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

I believe Valleys first four opponents have suffered only one defeat.

South Point - no losses
Western Pike - 1 loss (in overtime)
Oak Hill - no losses
Huntington Ross - no losses

It is still early, however, before we judge the Indians, we should consider all of the facts. Congratulations on last night's win and keep up the hard work. It will pay off before the season is over. Get that second win Tuesday night.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

I hear Wellston doesn't have much this year so should be another easy win for the Indians Tuesday. Good luck!

Guru
Waterboy

Post by Guru »

Who has been scoring for the Indians? is it pretty spread out?

Return to “Boys Basketball”