Waverly @ South Webster

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

After watching the Jeeps tonight they really need a point guard and a biggen to step up and rebound. I relize Walls is 6'7 but muscle or even baby fat can do some things to size. I thought i'd see more from Loop and Phipps.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ouch...Webster took one on the chin tonight. Sounds like Walls killed them inside which is not a surprise. Good thing is not too many other teams Webster plays will have a 6'7" kid that can do the things he can. Still think scoring is going to be a major problem for Webster, but things should get better as the year moves forward.

webstertown: what was the starting lineup for Webster? Also, haven't heard who the assistants are on Reese's staff...any ideas?*

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

sounds like kreischer knew when to get out of town.

JeepFamily18
Waterboy

Post by JeepFamily18 »

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I THINK this is who started: Cartee, Malone, Queen, Phipps and Basham. Every player came off the bench at some time during the game. They were shooting, they just couldnt hit and Waverly couldnt miss. Our rebounding needs work. Brenton Cole is assisting/coaching JV. From what I hear, Coach Reese has a totally different style than what SW is used to. Last night we were totally outsized, outsmarted and outplayed. Waverly looked good, congrats to them on a big win.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Can someone fill me in on the style the Jeeps are playing now?
I knew the new coach didn't have the tools Coach K had so I wasn't expecting a run and gun all out style. It will be a LONG time before any Div IV team in southern Ohio will even approach the 2006 Jeeps team. So I don't want to expect that every year. I was hoping for a strong defense with a patient offensive attack.

P.S.
How did the JV team do last night?

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

jeep80 These Jeeps have a long way to go. Our lack of ball handlers and experience was apparent. Other than Malone & Loop, there is very little Varsity experience, let alone just playing time for the rest of the team. With 5 seniors, there are only 3 starting their 4th year, and of those 3, they don't have 2 years starting experience.

We handled the ball like it was on fire. Waverly took advantage of each turnover. There wasn't a point in the game where any of our players looked comfortable.

I think Coach Reese has the right attitude for a building season. He's not expecting "state" or "regional" apperances for this group. He's working on getting the most he can of each player.

It took a lot of guts for him to step into this position. I think he's here for the long haul. And we all know a great program begins with the lower levels and is developed from there. He's working with the JV and taking an interest in the Jr High level and below. We need a program that starts with the young guys.

He's not as loud and "harsh" as coach K. But he seems to be working on the same defense. We just don't have those "big" personalities on this Varsity team. We need a few that want to be the playmakers.

Good luck Jeeps!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Poor Jeeps. Hopefully they enjoyed the winning while it lasted because, they wont have much to be happy about this year.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

FalconFan wrote:Poor Jeeps. Hopefully they enjoyed the winning while it lasted because, they wont have much to be happy about this year.

All we have to do is look at all the banners on the wall and take a nice long look at the state championship trophy and all is well.

What will Minford do?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Keep your heads up young Jeeps. Nobody is expecting much out of you anyways so don't be afraid to put it up or take it to the hole on offense.

jeep80: but Minford has won all kinds of championships. oh wait, nevermind. Gotta appreciate posts like that though...means you've got something they want, and FalconFan is obviously envious of Webster's state title.*

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

i doubt that south webster is going to receive a whole lot of sympathy from many teams.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

FalconFan wrote:Poor Jeeps. Hopefully they enjoyed the winning while it lasted because, they wont have much to be happy about this year.

Has Minford won a game yet this season? :roll:

I know they lost to Portsmouth and Wheelersburg. Did they lose to Jackson as well?

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

falconfan: we know where we came from. we enjoyed what we did. and now we know what to expect.

On our state journey, there were a lot of fans all over southern Ohio who came out and enjoyed the ride and we were happy to share it with them and the whole area! As is remember, on our drives home from Columbus there were signs and well wishes from Chillicothe on down. I believe we saw good lucks and congrats in Minford too.

burg_grad77: nice point! hey, we followed Wheelersburg on their ride last year! enjoyed every minute of it too!

Wouldn't that be a great tradition? southern Ohio always represented in the final four! Good luck to all teams in the SOC!

You gotta love a kid that works hard and has heart!
TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

You know, I could care less about Websters state title. I graduated from Portsmouth and we have 4 state titles and basketball tradition that Webster could never obtain. South Webster may have won the state championship, but they didn't play any great competition.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Did you really just knock a state championship?? wow

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

FalconFan: give it up...you're looking worse with each post.

sparky: nobody I know from Webster is looking for "sympathy." At almost all small schools, talent comes and goes in cycles. South Webster is obviously no different. However, if someone wants to jump on a Webster thread and gloat about a down year for the Jeeps, the reply of "2006 State Champs" is all that needs to be said.*

South Jeepster
Riding the Bench

Post by South Jeepster »

MAN FalconFan you graduated :!:
You sound like a 10 year old :o

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

:)

sportsfanatic3
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanatic3 »

ouch.. tough loss for the Jeeps.. definitely a rebuilding year.. give them 2 more years and they will be very solid..

FalconFan: you're so cool.. YaYaY!~ Super cool dude!!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

FalconFan wrote:You know, I could care less about Websters state title. I graduated from Portsmouth and we have 4 state titles and basketball tradition that Webster could never obtain. South Webster may have won the state championship, but they didn't play any great competition.

I see you are one of those guys."We" won a state championship. You have a turd in your pocket. If I was a guessing man, I'd say you had no part in any one of Portsmouth's state titles.

Didn't play anybody???? Are you serious!!!!!!!! When you get to the states, you are 9 times out of 10 playing the best in the state for your division. Sure you have a few upsets that gets some teams there that some people didn't expect but I think SW beating a very strong Lockland team and then just dominated a very good Columbus Grove team proved they deserved to be there and proved they beat some good competition.

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

What amazes me is that there is still a comparison of this team (2007-08) with the State Tournament team (2005-06). I dont 'even think that the seniors this year got any PT with that group of players. I think there may be one or two that carry a ring, but they were benchwarmers.

And yes, South Webster did play some of the best in the state. Not just that year, but the two previous years as well.

Kudos to yabb... "turd in the pocket" great!

You gotta love a kid that works hard and has heart!

Return to “Boys Basketball”