Current SE District Coaches...State Berth

mhs82
Freshman Team

Post by mhs82 »

Lamont Cranston wrote:Van Meter has not made it... stopped one game short by DeSales in '87, and maybe one other time. He made it to the Regional semis in Dante's frosh and soph campaigns.

He also lost in double or triple overtime in the Regional Finals to Enon Greenon in '86. Back to back close but no cigar heartbreakers for Tiger fans. The Desales loss was by a point and a Tiger guard missed a short jump shot at the buzzer. All-State center Dale Gillenwater played the tourney with a broken hand that year.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Didn't Greenfield lose in the regional semi-finals last year?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

McClain also lost to Cambridge 52-48 in the Regional Finals in 2000, I believe. The Tigers beat my Trojans 58-54 in the District Finals and then went on to lose another close regional final.

Despite not making it to the state, Rick Van Matre is still the #1 coach in SE Ohio. Does more with less than any other coach. Of course he had Dante Jackson for the last 4 years, but that is far above the exception to the rule for McClain's caliber of talent.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Oak Hill not making the state would not be a disappointment....not making the regionals....yeah it would.

They've still only played 4 games together....they have a 6'6 strong post threat, a 6'7 kid who can be inside but is dangerous from all over, a sophomore guard with about 15 games varsity experience and a 6'2 jr who can light it up...and play big inside..and contain guards...not to mention the frosh is only going to get more and more comfortable and used to varsity speed. Bench is not loaded but it's ample to go a long way....and an experienced coach.

I know they aren't as athletic as WC.....but if they continue to grow as a team and do the little things better than Afri or WC...they can do it this year....I completely expect state next year.

And as for Van Matre being the best coach in SE district.....it's an opinion and I respect it.....but I've seen coaches take a team to the state with no one over 6'2....lose 4 of 5 starters and 5 of 7 of his rotation...and make it back to the elite 8....and there are 10-20 coaches that could be argued.

Greenfield's coach is definately one of the best in the district.....but I can't say anyone is the best....and there is really no way to tell.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

We could bring in the top 20 coaches in the area and have them yell at each other and possibly a referee. Last one standing is the "best coach" in the area. Ha Ha

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Coach Ron Lovely while at Unioto in 91 took his team to the championship game.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

trojandave wrote:McClain also lost to Cambridge 52-48 in the Regional Finals in 2000, I believe. The Tigers beat my Trojans 58-54 in the District Finals and then went on to lose another close regional final.

Despite not making it to the state, Rick Van Matre is still the #1 coach in SE Ohio. Does more with less than any other coach. Of course he had Dante Jackson for the last 4 years, but that is far above the exception to the rule for McClain's caliber of talent.

Does anyone know anything about the 6'8 freshman phenom Greenfield has that I've been hearing rumors about? I've heard that he is being pursued by Big Ten coaches and others already. His name is Vinnie something. Anybody know if this is correct or not?

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
Always-A-Pirate
Waterboy

Post by Always-A-Pirate »

Tom Barrick has been to state three times -1995, 2006, 2007.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Ironman92 wrote:Oak Hill not making the state would not be a disappointment....not making the regionals....yeah it would.

They've still only played 4 games together....they have a 6'6 strong post threat, a 6'7 kid who can be inside but is dangerous from all over, a sophomore guard with about 15 games varsity experience and a 6'2 jr who can light it up...and play big inside..and contain guards...not to mention the frosh is only going to get more and more comfortable and used to varsity speed. Bench is not loaded but it's ample to go a long way....and an experienced coach.

I know they aren't as athletic as WC.....but if they continue to grow as a team and do the little things better than Afri or WC...they can do it this year....I completely expect state next year.

And as for Van Matre being the best coach in SE district.....it's an opinion and I respect it.....but I've seen coaches take a team to the state with no one over 6'2....lose 4 of 5 starters and 5 of 7 of his rotation...and make it back to the elite 8....and there are 10-20 coaches that could be argued.

Greenfield's coach is definately one of the best in the district.....but I can't say anyone is the best....and there is really no way to tell.

as much as i would like to see it. IMHO i just don't see it. sorry oak hill fans, i'm not takin anything away from the oaks but thats just IMHO

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Vinnie Zollo...had the size 19's in 8th grade

Return to “Boys Basketball”