tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Games scheduled for Friday, January 11
Unioto 38 @ Piketon 66
Huntington 53 @ Zane Trace 55
Westfall 74 @ Adena 57
Paint Valley 49 @ Southeastern 58
Last edited by tigercat1 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downtown22
Waterboy

Post by downtown22 »

Adena plays Westfall tonight at Adena. The Warriors will be playing without their starting Sr. point guard Clay Ragland. He will be out in Arizona for baseball. Although, i do not agree with leaving your team in the middle of the season, baseball is his number 1 and be has a chance to go places with it. So, with that said, and him out of the picture, I have a bad feeling about this one in Frankfort. Westfalls guard, Bryant Gibson will eat the Warriors alive if they dont get the ball in the right guys' hands to get it up the floor. The back-up PG is Eamon Boyle, and with not much varsity experience he will have a hard time getting the ball up the floor with Gibson all over him. I say let Roll or Uhrig bring the ball up the floor and get the Warrriors in their offense. With Ragland gone, we have to slow the game down so we can get it in our half court set and feed the beast inside, which will then open up Roll and Barnes for the long ball. It could be another disapointing loss in Frankfort tonight. Adena woulda, coulda, shoulda, be 10-0...they are tough team to play, but cannot finish down the stretch. Good Luck Warriors!

Adena 55 Westfall 48

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

downtown- For the most part, Westfall just plays a zone press with man principles. An easy way around that is to keep two guys back and get it to the man Gibson isn't guarding.

I think the worst part for you guys with Ragland gone will be that you only will be 6 deep now. Depth, IMO, is Adena's big weakness and that just effects it more.

bug ii
Waterboy

Post by bug ii »

sefan2007, you need only to watch your very own point guard when you want to see dirty basketball. He throws elbows alot when dribbling with good pressure. The fight in the stands was between 2 se students, very unfortunate. It was a pretty good ride only to be taken out of the gym by the Deputies.

SEfan2007
Riding the Bench

Post by SEfan2007 »

thats interesting bugg considering the point guard you are speaking of was the one that left with stitches in his lip. And about the fight, Im sure fights happen at every school, I dont think any school is immune. Not that big of a deal really..

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Standings after January 12, 2008
Huntington 7-1 11-1
Piketon 6-2 9-3
Adena 4-3 6-5
Westfall 4-3 6-6
Zane Trace 4-4 6-6
Unioto 3-5 3-9
Southeastern 2-6 3-10
Paint Valley 1-7 4-8

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

SEfan2007 wrote:thats interesting bugg considering the point guard you are speaking of was the one that left with stitches in his lip. And about the fight, Im sure fights happen at every school, I dont think any school is immune. Not that big of a deal really..

It may happen at a lot of schools, but this was just another sign that things are not good at SE: players getting caught w/ drugs, players quitting, etc. This is not typical of SE, and something needs to change.

wing-t
Riding the Bench

Post by wing-t »

GoBlue22

So are you the head of the lynch mob looking for change? We all seem to forget the these are kids and kids are going to make mistakes. I'm not condoning fighting or the alleged drug incident. Kids make mistakes. Kids quit sports programs all the time. No one got to excited when some of the boys quit the football team. Why is the basketball program held to a different standard?? Looks to me like these incidents would have been a good time to teach a kid a "life lesson" instead the administration is only worried about how much punishment can we dole out or how bad this makes us look. I think we are forgetting the school and school sports are about the kids and not a social club for the adults and administrators.

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

I was merely pointing out that this is not typical of SE. I am not an idiot, I know kids get in trouble and quit sports. I guess I was also thinking about some other things I have heard are going on @ SE that I did not mention. And I was not referring to how it makes the school look, I was referring to the guidance and coaching that the kids are receiving from the current coaches and administration.

But it looks like you do condone such things if you think they should not be punished. A lot of times punishment will teach a kid a "life lesson".

panthermama
Waterboy

Post by panthermama »

I think the administration can do both. Tell the one boy that he should not make comments like he did, that nothing good could have come from it, and then punish him. Tell the second boy that he can't let people bait him into a fight, learn to control his temper, and then punish him.

We all rolled our eyes as kids when we received those lectures from parents, teachers, or coaches. But we still heard them. They still made an impact. Even if they don't listen kids need to hear how to be better people. How to be better adults. Someday down the road you just hope that they remember you tried, and that someone cared.

There are many teachers at SE that go above and beyond with these kids. Find a way to hook the student and the teachers up. I am not necessarily talking about the two boys from the fight, but any student that the admin thinks needs a little encouragement or guidance. When I was in school students would go grade papers for a teacher, or make copies. Anything to feel useful and appreciated. I think it would still work. Schools can educate in more than academics.

wing-t
Riding the Bench

Post by wing-t »

I'm not against punishment but I'm against punishing a kid just because you can. We seem awful quick to kick a kid to the curb rather than teaching him the error of their ways. I mean as adults shouldn't we all try to teach kids right and wrong? Sounds to me like you have a problem with the coaching staff. It's funny this staff for the most part has been around for a few years and you know no one had a problem when they were winning. You no what else strikes me as odd is the way the administration severely punishes some kids and others are not for doing basically the same things. I guess it's who you know or who your family is. Too many politics. too many personal issues involved, that never good for the kids or the school........

SEfan2007
Riding the Bench

Post by SEfan2007 »

SE runs a tight ship, so when kids slip up they pay the price. I am a proud SE parent I have no issue with that. Things should be taken on a case by case basis. And GoBlue22, I have looked up and read some of the rest of your posts, seems you have an axe to grind with Coach Jordan and the program, perhaps you are an ex alum and got caught participating in one of the offenses you so graciously mentioned , or is it just easier to kick a program during a down year?

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

SEfan2007 wrote:SE runs a tight ship, so when kids slip up they pay the price. I am a proud SE parent I have no issue with that. Things should be taken on a case by case basis. And GoBlue22, I have looked up and read some of the rest of your posts, seems you have an axe to grind with Coach Jordan and the program, perhaps you are an ex alum and got caught participating in one of the offenses you so graciously mentioned , or is it just easier to kick a program during a down year?

I agree that they should run a tight ship, and I agree that some kids get punished harshly while others don't (depending on what your last name is). That is what I have a problem with. It should be consistent for every kid. I don't have an axe to grind nor have I been in trouble before. I am simply expressing my opinion, which last time I checked is my right!

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Games for Friday, January 18
Piketon @ Zane Trace
Unioto @ Adena
Southeastern @ Huntington
Paint Valley @ Westfall

Return to “Boys Basketball”