Coaching, how young is to young?

dct3407
Waterboy

Coaching, how young is to young?

Post by dct3407 »

Hello everyone, as you can see this is my first post in the forums. (Long time reader, first time poster). Anyhow, the topic of the Portsmouth West coaching situation got me thinking. In no relation to any cirumstances taking place in our area, How young is to young to be a head coach? How many years of sideline experience should an indiviual have?What are your thoughts ?

Also, I remember a coach from my generation who became a head college coach at age 24. I think Knight was his name? Just something to think about.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

He was also a colleg graduate, not coaching players in school with him, and coaching at a school (West Point) that was highly structured, highly supportive, with no parental involvement, and very disciplined players.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

Who is the coach at West?
ok, 24 is too young and inexperienced for younger kids but high schools is different. If he is smart,responsible and mature and is a good coach then that's fine. NFL example=Pittsburgh's head coach is 35 and the Patriots offensive mastermind is like 30! But to back up, how many guys in this area at 24 are that mature and responsible?

dct3407
Waterboy

Post by dct3407 »

I am perfectly aware of those facts falcon flyer, and I suppose I should have used a closer to home example, however, don't you think that even in such a controlled environment coahing players with only a year of age difference would be a difficult task?

Now, take away the controlled environment, does there need to be a more significant age gap between player and coach?

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

If your qualified your qualified.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Being a young coach or even a first time coach no matter what age would depend on the situation and the support giving to the coach. Also is this coach a teacher at the school? Prior coaching experience on different levels and how those interactions not only with players but parents. Making the tough decisions with players/parents a young coach will need an older assistant to help to get the complaints back to the players not the age of the coach.
Many have always thought it was better for young coaches to start at smaller schools. If you are looking at age alone in deciding when they should coach that is not the same for all. Maturity and the ability to do the job and deal with those involved as players, parents, fans, school staff and school board along with respect and support from those groups.

dct3407
Waterboy

Post by dct3407 »

Couldn't agree with you more farmer!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I don't think there is any magic age -- each situation is different. Some jobs are high profile , some are not. Some are pressure cookers , some are not. As a generalization a HS coach should have a couple years HS experience behind him , as an assistant. MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

knowledge wrote:If your qualified your qualified.

Define qualified.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

knowledge wrote:If your qualified your qualified.

i agree

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

why is everyone talking about how Dunham shouldnt be coaching at West, he isn't the real head coach, he is just coaching because he was next in line. He knows his fair share about baskeball, so why not let him coach the team since he is allready there.

GO WEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dct3407
Waterboy

Post by dct3407 »

Cameron34Crazie34

why is everyone talking about how Dunham shouldnt be coaching at West, he isn't the real head coach, he is just coaching because he was next in line. He knows his fair share about baskeball, so why not let him coach the team since he is allready there.

In response to your response, I have no problem with the young man coaching your team, provided that he wants to be in that situation and the school wants him in that situation. I created this topic to talk about coaching in general not the West situation, it has its own thread.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

There has only been one person who has mentioned Dunham. One has mentioned Bob Knight and another Mike Tomlin. I agree with dct he asked a question and was wanted to see what others think. Much of getting started at coaching is dealing with what goes on outside of playing the game itself. I am sure he is looking at ways to try to improve on the situation he is in.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Well saying he isnt the real head coach is bogus also. May not be technically listed as HC but he is calling the shots so stop acting like it is inmaterial.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

You should atleast have your dirvers license.

Practice, Scouting etc would be tough without them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairfield's coach is just 21....they are 3-4 this year and were 1-20 last season.

IMO the best coach Jackson ever had was probably the youngest as well.

barnyard bobby
Waterboy

Post by barnyard bobby »

If you know basketball and have the demeanor about yourself to handle players, I don't care how old you are, you can coach. The only way to judge whether or not this kid can do the job is to throw him out there and see what he's got. Good Luck to him!

jottings
SEOPS H

Coaches ages

Post by jottings »

James P. Osborne was 23 and fresh out of Wittenberg when he started coaching at Gallipolis in 1969-70--38 years ago.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

If you know the game and can teach the basic...you can coach...Now 24 is young...but if he stays for a long time look at the program he can build...Just like David Young at North Adams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Young had some varsity coaching experience before North Adams though

Return to “Boys Basketball”