Coaching, how young is to young?

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Yes he did...but my piont is this...if you get a good young coach to stay for a period of time...you will we some games like Coach Young...how long as he been at North Adams?

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

Exactly if you are qualified to coach...then you are old enough to couch!

dct3407
Waterboy

Post by dct3407 »

How old is Shoemaker at Portsmouth? He is a rather young coach and is doing a very good job.

Also, you jeep fans correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Kriescher in his mid 20's when he took the head position at sw?

I can't think of any other young coaches in our area that are active at the varsity level? Let me know if I am forgetting someone?

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

This topic has been good to mention some very succesful coaches from the area who started young. It does take support of parents, fans and administration to help to make it a succesful stint.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I know a guy that was a head football coach at 22 won the league and had the best record in school history. The number one assistant was 20. The team went 8-2

So does age matter?

owl
Waterboy

Post by owl »

Coach Derrow @ wellston was in his late twenties when he started , and he has had pretty good sucess!! A few league championships I believe!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

mtswngrvsg wrote:I know a guy that was a head football coach at 22 won the league and had the best record in school history. The number one assistant was 20. The team went 8-2

So does age matter?

Not in all situations but may depend on the acceptance by players, fans and administration to allow the coach to coach the team. The outside influence from others demanding a coach to do things their way can get out of hand with a young coach without much experience. This seems to more of a problem for all coaches now a days no matter what their age is.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Was gonna post but never mind.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

crazee-oakaholic wrote:Exactly if you are qualified to coach...then you are old enough to COUCH !

You must have been thinking about the girls team. :roll: :oops: :lol:

mhs82
Freshman Team

Post by mhs82 »

Ironman92 wrote:Fairfield's coach is just 21....they are 3-4 this year and were 1-20 last season.

IMO the best coach Jackson ever had was probably the youngest as well.

I saw Fairfield's Middle School teams last year and this year and they have some talent coming up. Carson should have a good core of players to work with - let's see what he does with them.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Farmer, very true. I think the guy will tell you that for the long run being a head coach that young hurt him in the long run. He said that he had a great group of kids that year. In that group counting the 20 year old assistant, three went on to be very successful head coaches. Was an exceptional group of people.

seopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by seopsfan »

Where does the old coaches come from?
Everyone has to start somewhere right?

Competitor
Waterboy

Post by Competitor »

I92, I agree. DFord was and is a HE(L of a coach. But he did have the "genes".

As far as how young is too young, there ISN'T a number!!! An old qualified coach can go into a bad situation with no support from administration and parents and fail just as easily as a young coach can. A terrible old coach can go into a situation with a run of really good players and succeed while at a different school a great young coach can be in a position where he has the support of the ad min and parents but has bad players and loses games. Who's the better coach?

If you CAN coach, the kids/players will know. We all know that most parents think their kids are all "players". But if you can coach and have the other 2 of the big 3 (players, administration, parents) you will be fine. Bottom line, you can't fool everyone, the kids especially. Anyone can coach 5 LeBron James' to have a great season and Coach K can't win with a bunch of "plumbers". Support is the key but we all should know that most of winning games is Johhnys and Joes, NOT X's and O's. True winning however is MUCH deeper.

Trying to find a golf game!!!
Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Re: Coaching, how young is to young?

Post by Wellston Ironman »

What's the record for youngest head coach?

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am What's the record for youngest head coach?
I would be more interested in the age of the oldest. Some of the guys/gals on here who coached hung on way too long and even when they stopped coaching refused to give up the AD position. I realize they are a protected class, but some of those dinosaurs got really grumpy and scornful in their latter years. What was not offensive 30 or 40 years ago is offensive now, but those relics refuse to change their ways. At least the young guys/gals aren't like that, and many of them understand that everyone should get to play and trophies for all is a good thing.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am What's the record for youngest head coach?
Matt Carson (current Lynchburg Clay HC) took over Leesburg Fairfield when he was just 20. He's right around 30-31 now, but he's coached every year since. 5-6 at LF, 1 at Westfall, and now 4-5 at Lynchburg.

I know Belpre had a really young coach a couple of years back and Coach Legg at Piketon is around 24 and in his second year.

Nothing wrong with it at all, especially if the young coach surrounds themselves with good assistants.

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Snowflake wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 am
I would be more interested in the age of the oldest. Some of the guys/gals on here who coached hung on way too long and even when they stopped coaching refused to give up the AD position. I realize they are a protected class, but some of those dinosaurs got really grumpy and scornful in their latter years. What was not offensive 30 or 40 years ago is offensive now, but those relics refuse to change their ways. At least the young guys/gals aren't like that, and many of them understand that everyone should get to play and trophies for all is a good thing.
That's the problem with this country and specifically with the culture brewing in Gallia county. Too many daddy coaches and no accountability for kids. I can think of a few old SVAC coaches who would still thrive today and kids would really benefit from them.

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

You guys can say what you want but some of us old dogs still love learning the game. Why else would I still be on the clinic circuit?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lol this thread is 11 years old. Some names from the past on this thread. Took me a minute to figure it out.

So who are the youngest and oldest coaches now?

ZT has one of the oldest

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 pm Lol this thread is 11 years old. Some names from the past on this thread. Took me a minute to figure it out.

So who are the youngest and oldest coaches now?

ZT has one of the oldest
I didn't see that. Good call. I thought this post filled up quickly. There was another coach post just recently.hahaha!

Return to “Boys Basketball”