Jackson basketball

bballfan1
Waterboy

Post by bballfan1 »

I think we all need to give Coach Hurst a chance. He was left with an absolute killer schedule league and non-league. He is working his tail off. I love his league he is running for the youth. I think it is a great program, and will help. He is actually doing more with the younger level players than Ford or May ever did. No knock on either one I was a fan of both. Maybe if we give him a chance to build a program, he might succeed. He is battling a football town, with a school with basically zero tradition in basketball unless you go back to the 1960's.

One other point. I have a ton of respect for the players on the basketball team. Look at a player like Beusher. He has been dedicated to the program his whole career. A couple of his teamates and friends that he played with the last couple of years jump ship. However, he stayed knowing he would take some big lumps. He could have left and taken the EASY way out but he stayed. The going got tough and he stood TALL. Not only him but the other players on the team. Things might not have gone the way the players would have liked but hey stayed. I guess parents can teach their players one of two things #1 Going gets tough run away and take the easy way out. or #2 Stay be a leader and try to make things better, not only for you but for the younger players. Again, to all Jackson players, I respect you, and I am proud you wear a Jackson Jersey and represent my alma mater!!!! Keep playing hard! I for one will never question your toughness and loyalty to each other.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

BBallfan1. Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially about Buescher. FANTASTIC KID! And the other tough ones that stayed.

JHSTradition????? Tradition is a joke (change your name) like you did your kids school district. You said it...they were leaving no matter who was coaching. You said they could have cared less. Exactly and it was obvious. I'm not wishing anything bad on any kid. But you have set a great example. If you don't think people in Jackson are sore about it your dumber than I thought! Why wouldn't they be? So don't get on here and try to justify yourself. You can't. Take your decision and live with it!![/u]

JHStradition
Waterboy

Post by JHStradition »

You might take into consideration that there are people who understand what they did and the reasons. I am sure that they are not so "dumb" as you described that they do not know there are angry people out there like you. If my defending them causes people like you to be hostile and angry, as well as further attack them it is probably not worth it. My guess is you have never even had a conversation with either one of them. My further guess is that you are one of coach Ford's groupees that have never quite figured why nobody got it except you guys have he left.

jackson1
Freshman Team

Post by jackson1 »

JHS, I don't understand the last sentence or two of your post. Can you clarify?

I understand why those who left did. I don't blame them for wanting another chance. These kids have put sweat equity into their game. But I also admire those who stayed and battle every time they step on the floor.

The people of Jackson voted for change and we haven't gotten anything to show for it. Our girls just got a 27 point loss hung on them tonight. Our administration has destroyed a program that was able to compete. All because they could.

JHStradition
Waterboy

Post by JHStradition »

Jackson1,

You are right that line is messed up. I think the best thing to do is let all decide for themselves what will be best for each ones future and skip the negativity.

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

Watch me get hammered for saying this.

Jackson basketball isn't nearly as bad as it seems.

Truth is there are really 3 problems flat out killing this team.

1 - backcourt turnovers which inevitably turn into layups. A major reason why teams are shooting >50% from the floor against us. We have to find a way to beat the press. We have tried dribbling through it so far with poor results. I can only guess that we continue to do this because Coach Hurst believes in time we will get much better at it, in the meantime we just have to hope and wait.

2 - offensive rebounds and put backs. Often teams get as many shots as it takes to score because we don't box out and rebound as a team. This has been a problem with Jackson basketball for a long time. When Merlin or Dylan are on the floor they consistently help here but some of our guys don't understand the importance of boxing out their man.

3 - no inside threat. Offensively we have no post game enabling teams to force our outside shooers out of their range. We have a pure shooter (Dobbins) and a slasher (Boggs) and several others who can both shoot and drive, but unless we can establish an inside presence, there is no opening for them. Of course an inside presence is useless if you can't get the ball past half court.

Believe it or not, the current players and coaches can fix these things and I believe they are working on it. Better times are on the horizon so let's hope they stay the course.

For Andy and Evan's sake I hope the turnaround starts this year. Two great kids that I have tons of respect for.

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

No one is going to address that issue here cookie. :shock:

bballfan1
Waterboy

Post by bballfan1 »

Jackson1: I have to respectfully disagree with your post. I do not understand why anyone would turn their back on their teammates. The parents complain about loyalty (Superintendent and AD running off coaches because of cry baby parents)and then when they have a chance to teach their own children loyalty they tell their child to go to another school leave your teammates behind to quote "Better Themselves" (Great team concept). To me these parents and Superintendent are in the same boat, same type of person. Somebody has to step up and stop this cycle. Somebody posted on here the players wanted to better themselves. O.k lets tranfer to D-4 school so I do not have to play Chillicothe twice (Just smacked North College Hill) Zanesville, King Mills, Portmouth , Ironton, and so on. This will make you a better player, and better prepare these players for college if they do get an offer. Maybe this is why people question the toughness?

Of course this is a possibility. The parents that complained and wanted TJ out are the parents that took their kids to another school. Just a thought! This is how I read the situation by the actions that were taken. Of course, I live in the community and I know what parents said what about TJ last year.

Why don't we be a little more specific when we say administration, lets say superintendent and AD.

One last thing I am the farthest thing from a Coach Ford Groupee. Trust me on that. I did respect his hard work and dedication to the players and school. I never hung out or was friends with the guy. I was not keen on the screaming in players faces, but one thing for sure his players were tough.

Go Ironmen!!!!!!!

Cookie
Freshman Team

Post by Cookie »

Apparently not, since my post has been removed. Trust me though, it is true.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Hats off to kids like the Beusher. I am sick of seeing parents teaching their kids that it is okay to quit when things don't go their way. What a joke, none of those kids are going to further in their basketball careers, why don't we do one thing? Go to school to learn. We all know kids transfered for basketball reasons and not academic reasons.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I am agreeing with the wrestling coach/football fan again about basketball.

Ondera transferring hurt our chances of breaking presses and another good/quick athlete that chose not to play would also help.

Right now IMO Boggs is our best guy at the point...or at least handling the ball. As for breaking the press I like the ball in Boggs or Buescher's hands.

They keep working and they'll get it aginst the non Chillicothe's and Zanesville's. Their are a touch slow right now...but practice will get them there.

Best of luck.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

JHStradition wrote:You might take into consideration that there are people who understand what they did and the reasons. I am sure that they are not so "dumb" as you described that they do not know there are angry people out there like you. If my defending them causes people like you to be hostile and angry, as well as further attack them it is probably not worth it. My guess is you have never even had a conversation with either one of them. My further guess is that you are one of coach Ford's groupees that have never quite figured why nobody got it except you guys have he left.

I'm not attacking the kids. Kids don't make those decisions without the parents. It's clearly an example of when the going gets tough.....we can move! As far as coach fords groupees...heck yes I was a huge fan! Did anyone else see what he did with JHS basketball? If he hadn't been here we wouldn't be having this conversation. JHS wouldn't have had higher standards to try to reach! You didn't like his in your face style because you don't have that in you. But from what I saw the kids would run through a wall for him. I would imagine you've never had that respect either.

JHStradition
Waterboy

Post by JHStradition »

Bordon's were huge Dustin Ford fans. It is the 100% only reason they came into the Jackson School system. My feeling is he brought a great deal of basketball enthusiasm into a football school. My family played with the Brad Howell group which was a very good couple of years, but there was not the feeling that Dustin Ford brought into play. I would dare say that the coach where they are both at now is is at least as much in your face, if not more. I am not sure how that plays into the conspiracy theory?

Look, if being these people friends and speaking up for them has offended you - in the Christmas spirit I apologize. Believe it or not, they both have many friends and relatives in the area supporting them just as much as the people attacking them. It is just interesting to see how several persons have become so very concerned with the life examples set for these two specific kids. Were they that interested in their well being and life path when they were here? It would also be interesting to know of some the people giving such concerned advice even have a kid in the Jackson school system, or even have kids at all?

The kids all seem fine with it. They socialize together at various places such as the Apple Festival and the movies. I think more than several Jackson BB players have traveled to OH to watch them play. Many of the kids getting playing time now may not have if those kids had stayed. Some of them would not be getting near as many shots off either. The only possible wins that it would have even remotely effected (may) be the two Gallipolis games. Even if one, or both had stayed they would not have effected the outcome of the other games. I think the abandoning of the teammates may be more dramatic stated on here than it is to the actual kids involved.

Peace and Merry Christmas.

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

JHStradition wrote: Many of the kids getting playing time now may not have if those kids had stayed. Some of them would not be getting near as many shots off either. The only possible wins that it would have even remotely effected (may) be the two Gallipolis games. Even if one, or both had stayed they would not have effected the outcome of the other games.

I have to disagree to this extent. Kyle Ondera would have had a profound impact on the Circleville, Portsmouth and Ironton games. Ironton jumps to a 21-7 lead in the first quarter based on 7 turnovers/layups. The remainder of the game was close and without numerous steals/layups Ironton may have found it more difficult to score. Jackson would have had several more opportunities to score and you can't say Ondera wouldn't have affected the number of turnovers. Same scenario for Circleville/Portsmouth our inability to beat the press turned those games into blowouts.

I'm not picking on those kids for leaving by any stretch just disagreeing that they wouldn't have had impact. Even though he's an outsanding player, Borden's departure isn't nearly as hard on the team as Ondera's. Plenty of shooters in the fold.

I do have a son on the team and I believe that Ondera being gone has cost him playing time. Kyle was always the one looking to pass the ball to Merlin in the post, establishing an inside game and creating opportunities for our slashers and shooters. He had a significant impact on this group.

Having said that, I wish Kyle and Ryan all the best.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I agree again.

Ondera wouldv'e been enough to penetrate and dish to Boggs, Buescher and Dobbins.

Dobbins is a shooter...a spot up dead eye...not a bring the ball up and shoot off the dribble guy.

I agree the Newsome kid (soph) and a couple others are getting time they may not have seen and especially with Newsome he is proving more than worthy of a varsity rotation spot.

But I'm sorry...Ondera penetrating and dishing to Borden and Dobbins with Boggs and Buescher slashing would've been fun and would've been competitve in the Ironton, Portsmouth and some other games for sure. Newsome, Miller (spot starter vs certain teams) and Stacy off the bench often.

8-12 may be a lot better than what we may end up being...but I hope not.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

And hopefully the shortness of Jackson will come to a screeching hault in a few years as we have an 8th grade who is 6'4 and growing and a 7th grader with a 6'10 Dad who played at Rio.

A 6'8 and a 6'6 would look weird in a Jackson lineup...though we were quite tall in 1996-97

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I don't expect anything less of Andy Beuscher. He is a great young man and a greater human being.

jackson1
Freshman Team

Post by jackson1 »

Life gets no easier as Zanesville comes to town on Friday

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

What's the best way to get to Jackson from Zanesville??????

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

ZvilleBlueDevil wrote:What's the best way to get to Jackson from Zanesville??????

Charter a plane :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”