Pike County Holiday Tourney- Dec. 28-29 2007

OldDribbler78
Waterboy

Post by OldDribbler78 »

I'm pretty sure that thecinderellapick isn't jealous of "the downtown arena". I mean, the place is like 30 years old. The whole county has beautiful gymnasiums. I haven't seen the gym at the "Waverly campus" but I'm sure it's lovely too...NO one is jealous. Just mildly amused by the whole attitude.

hammer755
Waterboy

gyms

Post by hammer755 »

the waverly high school downtown arena, or hawhee's palace or the waverly physical ed. building, is the best high school gym in the area. yes the other schools have really nice facilities but this old gym is 35 36 yrs old and is still the best gym around. the floor is one of the best jumping floors around and the big scoreboard in the middle is awesome. it holds the big crowds for the classic too. it holds capacity 3200 people, thats really big for a high school gym. the only thing that needs replacing are the bleachers which are also real old. it is a great weekend for county hoops.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

i just wish piketon and western the best of luck. may the better team win!!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Anyone have the overall records for each school in this holiday classic? I would be willing to bet that it is overall pretty even. I dont see Waverly as looking at this as a lose lose situation. As for the gym, it is the nicest venue in the area, however all county schools have very nice facilities as well just not the sheer numbers. Piketon is close, anyone know what it holds?

Piketon versus Western for the Championship.

I say Waverly gets Eastern in the first game. Waverlys athleticism will be too much for the Eagles. If Eastern can slow it down and slow down Walls they can keep it close, but I see Waverly taking this one.

In the championship game I see Piketon pulling away late. Piketon full court pressure is improving and their tenacity is picking up as well. Shanks will get his, the key will be handling the rest keeping them from picking up easy buckets around the rim. Western of course is more than capable of winning this one.

Good luck to all teams tonight, but Lets Go Streaks!

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

2004-2005 1st eastern 2nd Piketon
2005-2006 1st western 2nd piketon
2006-2007 1st waverly 2nd piketon
2007-2008 1st ? 2nd ?
i think this is piketon's year!

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

2004-2005 1st eastern 2nd Piketon
2005-2006 1st western 2nd piketon
2006-2007 1st waverly 2nd piketon
2007-2008 1st ? 2nd ?
i think this is piketon's year!

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
OldDribbler78
Waterboy

Post by OldDribbler78 »

I think tonights consolation game will be a close one. I think the championship game will have the streaks winning by however many Coach Lisath wants to win by. The Indians are not playing to their strenth. I am clueless as to what Harrop's strategy is. Anyone who has watched some of the Indians games care to speculate on what the benefit is to having a 6'5" player(Shanks) match up with a 5'7" (or so) guy and put your 5'10"(Kier) guy against Walls at 6'7"? Last night would have been an interesting game to have had Walls and Shanks up against each other. I am just curious to see if I'm the only guy having some doubts about what is going on in Latham..

sirwalterscott
Waterboy

Post by sirwalterscott »

care to speculate on what the benefit is to having a 6'5" player(Shanks) match up with a 5'7" (or so) guy and put your 5'10"(Kier) guy against Walls at 6'7"? Last night would have been an interesting game to have had Walls and Shanks up against each other.

One idea may be that the coach didn't want his primary scorer (Shanks) getting in foul trouble trying to shut down Walls. Walls is going to get his points (20-25) against most defenders. Why not free up Shanks to guard a non-scorer/ball-handler for the tigers and ensure that he plays 4 quarters of offense? Just a thought.

Seemed like Waverly used a similar strategy defending against Shanks with different defenders and zones most of the game. They too did not want their scorer (Walls) commiting fouls playing defense.

Hey...didn't Western win? Seems like the game plan worked for the Indians, didn't it?

OldDribbler78
Waterboy

Post by OldDribbler78 »

I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of the Championship game this evening. Not that Piketon came out on top, but that Western really stepped it up tonight and put out a good effort giving the Streaks all they wanted. It was a great game. Congratulations Piketon.

The Rocket
Waterboy

Kier

Post by The Rocket »

he is more like 5'7....5'8 (kier)

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I like this team...they took Westerns best shot and pulled it out. Coach Lisath pulled upsets in the first round the past two years, but came up short in the title game, however this season Piketon came in as the favorite and avoided the upset. I think the coaching staff should get suits like coach Stanley for the Adena game....Wow!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Jimmy, the Reverend James Stanley was looking mighteeee sharp this weekend I must say. :shock:

OldDribbler78
Waterboy

Post by OldDribbler78 »

Begging your pardon SirWALTER but I sincerely hope Coach Harrop JR. isn't basing his coaching strategies on Waverly's because they haven't exactly got a fantastic record going. Coach Lisath must not have worried about Brabson's foul problems and look where Piketon ended up. And Rocket I'm not sure how tall Kier is for sure but he manages to get the job done. A lot of people are proud of him for sticking it out this season. Also, could someone from Piketon PLEASE post if the coaching staff does get matching suits for the Adena game cause this is one Indian fan who will definately purchase tickets to see Tom Kelly and Scott Legg stylin'! 8)

Return to “Boys Basketball”