Waverly @ Minford Jan. 4

tiger2012
Riding the Bench

Waverly @ Minford Jan. 4

Post by tiger2012 »

How does everyone think this game will go?

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Records of these two teams?

"Do You Even Remember What It Is Like To Be To Tired To Run"

-I Am What I Am
tiger2012
Riding the Bench

Post by tiger2012 »

Waverly 2-5

Minford 4-5

hammer755
Waterboy

Post by hammer755 »

coach TR made some changes and they really helped out. as long as they stay with that and progressively get better, the tigers may make a run at the touney trail. very impressed with D. roback and the bench play of the tigers. T. Davis, and co. did a good job fri and sat. players need to accept their roles and play hard. period !!!!

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Minford 65-58.

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Hopefully Waverly can get rolling and play with confidence and aggressiveness. Must continue to hit boards, take care of ball, not travel and improve defensively. Played much better against Eastern. Minford on the road will be a huge challenge for Waverly.

Go Tigers!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Waverly used three different "point guards" in the Holiday Classic and it seemed to work quite good. We have more than one player that handle the ball , but we don't have anybody that has spent substantial time at the varsity point guard position. That is just what happens when you have a 4-year varsity player at point guard.
Waverly got big time contributions from Conley and Roback in addition to the two Trevors. The Tigers have lost 5 games by a total of 20 points and 4 by a total of 7 points. We had chances to win all those games so if we can get a couple bounces to go our way and I think we started playing "not to lose" vs. Valley and Western. Waverly plays to win and takes care of ball the Tigers pick up a road in conference win at Minford.
If we play to win for 32 minutes we could be something come tournament time, but we are still in that brutal Southeastern sectional so I'm not making any predictions.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I've seen Minford play twice, one in the Burg game and once on the internet, and I think if they play like they did in those two games they should beat Waverly by at least 10 points. Waverly will have a hard time controlling Sean Smith in my opinion, and if this gets kids get hot, then watch out because he can light it up from anywhere on the court.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

60-60 heading into OT

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Sounds like a goodin'!!

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Minford 68-64
Last edited by tigercat1 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I had a feeling Minford would take this one.

sirwalterscott
Waterboy

Post by sirwalterscott »

The Tigers lost this game with poor foul shooting and mental mistakes. I will say that up front. They had chances to win this game and did not capitalize.

But...

But...this was---hands down---the worst officiated high school basketball game I have ever seen at the varsity level in 35+ years.

The female official on this crew IS NOT READY for the speed of the game at the varsity level. The non-calls in the first half of this ball game robbed the players and fans of what could have been an athletic contest.

The other two officials tried to cover for her all night...it was disturbing at so many levels. Is there any system of accountability for officials?

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Wow!!! Technical foul called on Waverly coach with game tied in OT with 18 seconds left I beleive. You must be kidding me. I hope that ref sleeps well tonight and does not worry about the Waverly boys that left it on the floor!
Minford deserved to win, or lose game in a different manner!!!!!! They played hard also!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

But...this was---hands down---the worst officiated high school basketball game I have ever seen at the varsity level in 35+ years.

I've seen that statement made quite a few times on here this year and I've been to a game or two where I have seen some unbelievable horrible officiating. Is it because the old veterans who did a great job have all retired and we are stuck with newbies that just don't know the game or who don't care and it's just a little extra cash for them?

son of busdriver
Waterboy

waverly@minford Jan 4

Post by son of busdriver »

WOW !!!!!! How much can the old heart take? You guys are great,we used to call these barnburners. Most exciting basketball season we have had in quite sometime. Go Falcons.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Those officials ROBBED the kids (from both schools) tonight. I have not commented on this site or the puddle for a while now, for good reason, but tonight was just uncalled for. YES, Waverly had chances to seal the deal in OT being up 4 and missing FT's but those were jokers out there in stripes.

Like Travis said on the radio, you had an official with a chip on his shoulder who took it upon himself to decide the game tied at 64 with 18 seconds to go. There was NO reason for a T - not one.

Waverly shot a dismal 7-16 from the line including 2-6 in OT which could have iced it.

Martin lead the for the Tigers with 23, Walls followed with 13 (hammered all night), Roback 8, Arnett, Murray and Conley each with 5, Davis 3 and Good 2. Martin had a huge night for Waverly scoring most of his points in the 2nd and 4th periods. Murray came in to score all 5 of his in the 1st half to help keep the Tigers close. Walls sat much of the 1st half with 2 phantom fouls and scored 9 of his 13 in the 2nd half.

Arnett with a huge buzzer beater to tie it at 60 and send it to OT.
Waverly jumped out to a 4 point lead in OT before Smith drained a 3.
Waverly missed 2 foul shots with .37 seconds to go and then Smith tied it at 64 by hitting 1 of 2 with .23 seconds remaining. Waverly called a time out with .18 seconds to play but could not get the ball in and was called for a 5 second violation. Out of the blue the official all the way across court, not the official right beside the bench, calls a technical foul on coach Robertson. Smith drained both and Minford lead 66-64 and got the ball. Price made 2 freebies with .17 seconds to play and Minford goes home winners.

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Roback sat entire first half after having two fouls called in first 45 seconds.
All his 8 points came in second half.
Anyhow, Waverly getting inside scoring and rebounding from Martin was huge as Walls(sat much of first) and Roback (sat entire first). Davis and Murray really helped keep Waverly in game first half off the bench.

Officiating was suspect but ultimately free throws and poor passing led to Tiger defeat! I bet the Tigers will be working on FT's.

Give Minford some credit as they played extremely hard!

Tigers keep heads up, correct things leading to losses and welcome a very talented, well coached, aggressive Vinton County team to the downtown arena Saturday night.
Technical on coach with 18 seconds and tie game in OT!!! You must be kidding me!

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

Those things you spoke of tiger_4_ever have been hurting this Tiger team all year. I don't believe you can correct the free throw situation at this point in the year. You can shoot and shoot all you want but the problem is Waverly is not a good shooting team. Unless you have a coach correcting the basic fundamentals, you are just practicing a bad shot and let's face it, that SHOULD be done in the off-season. This is the team Waverly has and they need to continue to play like they have the last few games. Playing hard, up-tempo, and good ball movement will enable Waverly to compete with anyone in the league.

Return to “Boys Basketball”