Top five active coaches in Southeast Ohio

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Falcon, I believe they have 1's by their name because he wasn't ranking them in order.

I also believe you have to grade coaches on their accomplishments. It's done that way on every level. College is NCAA tourney victories and championships. Pro is Play off wins and Championships. High school has to be League Championships and Tournament runs or something. So saying that Regional Finals is his standard for coaches is fine by me.

And Competitor, I had to throw Gene's name in there just to be different. Because he and Larry Jordan are definately the top coaches I know.

manofconstantsorrow
Waterboy

Post by manofconstantsorrow »

Carl Wolfe made it to the finals in 1982. Lost to Middletowm fenwick.

I am fairly certain Dave Young has been to the finals also.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Young just has the one appearance...incorrect refs kept him from the finals

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

dukiees1 wrote: Well I said they were good coaches AND fun to watch I didn't just say they were fun to watch and if you would go back to the previous page there is others who listed some of the same coaches as I did so chill out if you can :roll:

No you didn't. Read it yourself......
"Three Coaches that are up there in my book and are fun to watch Coach is ....."

I'll "chill out" if you'll quit trying to put some of your favorite wannabes on the 'elite' list. Deal ??

dukiees1
JV Team

Post by dukiees1 »

If you see I said that are up there on my list AND fun to watch which I meant was good as well as being fun to watch because of the love they have for the game that shows in the way they coach is all. Sorry If I offended you and I apologize that my so called wannabe's don't count to your elite list :roll: But I'm not the only one who put these same coaches on here so why don't you ride them over it as well!!

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

dukiees1 wrote:If you see I said that are up there on my list

....and that equates to them being "good" ?? :lol: :lol:

" being fun to watch because of the love they have for the game "
I think that is true of 99% of the coaches out there. They sure aren't there for the money!! :roll:

" Sorry If I offended you...."
No offense at all. Just seems like a little mid-guided loyalty where it may not be deserved all that much.

"But I'm not the only one who put these same coaches on here so why don't you ride them over it as well!!"
LOL.... Most of those people don't trot out those same names on EVERY thread that comes up like you do. :lol:

" I apologize that my so called wannabe's don't count to your elite list"
I don't think I have ever put a "list" or preference on this site.

:) :) :) :)

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
dukiees1
JV Team

Post by dukiees1 »

Well sorry I didn't pay attention as to who posted the topic but the is forum where you are allowed to give your opinion and I gave mine if you don't agree that is fine but you don't have to dawg other people because of who they think are very good coaches and to add to my list I had forgot to mention Roger Zornes and I hope that one doesn't make you laugh :roll:

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Barrick took Wheelersburg to the state finals in 1995--his first year there.

Jumper45
Riding the Bench

Re: Top five active coaches in Southeast Ohio

Post by Jumper45 »

There are numerous coaches from Portsmouth that definitely rate over the mentioned coaches.
Dick Hopkins, Rick Hopkins, Tom Smith, Joe Suboticki.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

This thread is almost old enough to have a drivers license

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:33 pm This thread is almost old enough to have a drivers license
... I was AROUND on SEOPS when this one was first posed ... the guard as changed while some of the youngin's mentioned are now the old guard. the "wise ones" ... they have proven that the mention back in 2007 was not just because they had "a good season" :

1. Coach Maddox (Warren)
2. Coach Howie Caldwell (Trimble)
3. Coach Stiverson (Logan Elm)
4. Coach Beuchler (Eastern Brown)
5. Coach Speed (Fairland)
6. Coach Morrow (Jackson)
7. Coach Hoops (Unioto)
8. Coach Arey (Peebles)
9. Coach Kellough (Zane Trace)
10. Coach Collins (Portsmouth)

... Coach Copas (North Adams), Coach Shoemaker (Minford), Coach Ater (Chesapeake), Coach Vanderhoof (Coal Grove), Coach Beard (Chillicothe), Coach Fisher (Sheridan), Coach Thompson (Federal Hocking) ...

... up and coming youngsters/relative youngsters to the Head Coaching position:

Coach Meister (Westfall) , Coach Williams (Western Pike), Coach Leist (Eastern Pike), Coach Kight (Vinton County), Coach Shaeffer, Coach Carpenter (Circleville), Coach McKinnis (Oak Hill)
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:54 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:33 pm This thread is almost old enough to have a drivers license
... I was AROUND on SEOPS when this one was first posed ... the guard as changed while some of the youngin's mentioned are now the old guard. the "wise ones" ... they have proven that the mention back in 2007 was not just because they had "a good season" :

1. Coach Maddox (Warren)
7. Coach Hoops (Unioto)
8. Coach Arey (Peebles)

... Coach Copas (North Adams), Coach Shoemaker (Minford), Coach Ater (Chesapeake), Coach Vanderhoof (Coal Grove), Coach Beard (Chillicothe), Coach Fisher (Sheridan)

Coach Meister (Westfall) , Coach Williams (Western Pike), Coach Leist (Eastern Pike), Coach Kight (Vinton County), Coach Shaeffer, Coach Carpenter (Circleville), Coach McKinnis (Oak Hill)
I think Coach Thompson from Federal Hocking should be on this list! He did win D4 coach of the year a few years ago. He’s really turned the program around. Pfloyd…..keep up the great work and Merry Christmas

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JC2124 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:37 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:54 pm

1. Coach Maddox (Warren)
7. Coach Hoops (Unioto)
8. Coach Arey (Peebles)

... Coach Copas (North Adams), Coach Shoemaker (Minford), Coach Ater (Chesapeake), Coach Vanderhoof (Coal Grove), Coach Beard (Chillicothe), Coach Fisher (Sheridan) , Coach Thompson (Federal Hocking) ...

I think Coach Thompson from Federal Hocking should be on this list! He did win D4 coach of the year a few years ago. He’s really turned the program around. Pfloyd…..keep up the great work and Merry Christmas
.. I thought I had him on my list ! I DID have him on my legal pad just didn't get added ... thanks for the catch!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1. Maddox
2. Speed
3. Arey

My top 3

Jumper45
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumper45 »

Carroll Hawhee from Waverly and Charlie McAfee of Athens. These two were great coaches

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Until this year you would have to of had Ryan Davis to this list. I hope he continues with his new school

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:35 pm Until this year you would have to of had Ryan Davis to this list. I hope he continues with his new school
... Absolutely peake71 - Coach Davis IS one of the best ... my understanding his Bulldogs at Bloom Carroll are undefeated? at least they were I believe 4-0 before the break ... I'm going to try to get up to BC on 1/7 Saturday to catch BC vs Fairfield Union ... want to catch Davis the Younger too!

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Pfloyd had planned on going to see Bloom Carroll and coach Davis on the 7th. But I am leaving on the 8th to take my sister to Cleveland Clinic for doctor visit and procedures on the 9th to get ready for surgery on the 20th.
Cyberknife or gamma knife as it us called.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

How many of the coaches names that came up was and assistant coach under Osborne at time or another ?

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

For Jim Osborne, this sticks out to me:

In the early to Mid 1970’s, his assistants were Rick Van Metre and Norm Persin. That’s over 1,700 wins on one staff.

Return to “Boys Basketball”