Your All-Time Wheelersburg Pirates Team

socfan
All Conference

Your All-Time Wheelersburg Pirates Team

Post by socfan »

With this being the last season in the current high school/gym that Wheelersburg has called home for over 50 years, I thought this would a good time to discuss the all-time Wheelersburg team. You can choose from all-time or pick a certain time period to cover. I did not move to Wheelersburg until 1995 (Coach Barrick's first year) so I will keep my list to players that have watched during my time. I would enjoy seeing everyone's opinion of one of the best programs in SE Ohio, especially in the last 25 years.

My Wheelersburg Pirate Team ('95-Current)

1- Nick Carrington
2- Drew Spradlin
3- Cam Miller
4- Andrew Burleson
5- Mike Yelley
BENCH
Jon Eaton
Aaron Burleson
Bryan Yelley
Geoff Givan
Jason Schmidt
Matt Weaver
Mike Leesburg

Head Coach: Tom Barrick

Assisstant Coaches: Jack Brannon, Ken Massie, Dusty Spradlin

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Joe Rase holds the Wheelersburg record for most points in a game with 46. Ron Stanley is right behind him with 43 points in a game.

Brad Walke was always a personal favorite to watch and received a scholarship in both basketball and baseball.

Don't forget Paul Newman who was given a scholarship by Marquette.

Todd Staker was a very athletic player giving him nice all around game. I also thought that classmate Craig Brown had a nice shooting touch also.

Give me some time and I will generate a list of players from 25-50 years ago and those that watched them play can comment on them. Spradlins, Millers, Cunningham, Davis, Stanley, Rases, Conleys, etc.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Let's see.....

Brian Bays
Joe Rase
Gary Bailey
Dean Miller
Jeff Meadows - these first five were the starters on the 75'/76' team that went 18-0 regular season and all the way to the regional finals.

Mike Yelley
Tom Turner
Pat Thomas
Steve Stewart
Jack Miller (Cams uncle, 4 years at Hawaii)
Rod Spradlin (Drews dad)
Scot Gray
Joe DeCamp
Brad Walke
Todd Staker
Paul Newman
Craig Brown
Don Brown
Matt Miller
Brent Eaton

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but that's all I can think of right now.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

The great names I have heard or seen...

Brad Walke, Joe Rase, Cam Miller, Drew Burleson...Many, many more...Those are the four that come off the top of my head

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

A lot of great players down through the years for Wheelersburg......almost impossible to pick the greatest that I've seen, but the most dramatic moment in the regular season between PHS and the Burg was Andrew Burleson's dunk with 5 seconds to go to give the Pirates a 52-51 win at WHS in 2002.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

^^^^^
Have to agree with you on that one. Probably the best finish to a Burg game I've ever witnessed with the worst finish ever for a Burg game being last year in the state semi's against NCH.

My all-time teams would look like this. I'll have to start with the 70's because we moved to the Burg in 1971.

1970's
Starting five
Brian Bays
Joe Rase
Jeff Meadows
Pat Thomas
Jack Miller

On the bench
Mike Yelley,sr
Gary Bailey
Dean Miller
Rod Spradlin
Tom Turner
Steve Stewart

1980's
Starting five
Scott Gray
Paul Newman
Brad Walke
Todd Staker
Mark Eaton

On the bench
Bob Shaw
Scott Bays
Joe DeCamp
Don Brown
Craig Brown
Roche Croy

1990's
Starting five
Juice Schmidt
Mike Leesburg
Matt Miller
Chris Ellis
Jonathon Eaton

On the bench
Aaron Adams
Jason Schmidt
Aaron Burleson
Brent Eaton

2000's
Starting five
Andrew Burleson
Drew Spradlin
Cam Miller
Seth Cowgill
Mike Yelley

On the bench
Bryan Yelley
Matt Weaver
Nick Carrington
Gary Salyers

I'd have to say the best overall era was the 80's.

Best overall player-that would be a hard one to pick, but if I had to pick one I'd have to go with Andrew Burleson, with Todd Staker a very, very close second. Both were able to take over a game at anytime and when they did, both were very hard to stop. I give the nod to Burleson because he is the all-time leading scorer at the Burg. Averaged over 20 points a game in his Sophomore, Junior and Senior year.
Last edited by yabbadabbadoo on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

trojandave wrote:A lot of great players down through the years for Wheelersburg......almost impossible to pick the greatest that I've seen, but the most dramatic moment in the regular season between PHS and the Burg was Andrew Burleson's dunk with 5 seconds to go to give the Pirates a 52-51 win at WHS in 2002.

I agree completely with you dave. That was my senior year (I was the team manager) and I about lost it on the bench watching Burleson running down the floor and going up for the dunk. That was also probably the biggest crowd I've seen at Wheelersburg. there were 4-5 deep standing in the hall trying to peek into the gym. Maybe this would also be a good time for a greatest game at Wheelersburg thread.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Did Mark Eaton play D1 in Carolina somewhere...UNC Ashville?..Charolette?

If a player like him is only mentioned once....you've had some incredible talent go through your school....far superior to nearly everyone else!

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

UNC-Wilmington

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

socfan

You have too much time on your hands on these snow days!!

Enough about the minute details -- the big question is who would be your all-time Pirate manager!!!!!!

8)

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

bucknut 23 wrote:socfan

You have too much time on your hands on these snow days!!

Enough about the minute details -- the big question is who would be your all-time Pirate manager!!!!!!

8)

well, bucknut, I'm kinda partical to one in particular.

Anyone else?

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

Mark Eaton was a scholarship player at unc wilmington. He averaged 29 points per game his senior year. not sure how many points before that, but i know that the 3 point line was established in high school his senior year. He has to be at the top of the list when it comes to players at wburg. I know that the team he played on his senior year has the best record at WHS even though they got beat in the regional final. They still have the most wins in a single season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”