Guthrie approaching 1000 points for Vinton County!!!

OHIOBuckeyes
Waterboy

Post by OHIOBuckeyes »

Looks like if all goes well he will get it at home against Belpre. What an eventful night!
Good Luck Dustin!!!! You deserve every bit of it!

Kenneth Bixx
Waterboy

Post by Kenneth Bixx »

I asked one of J. Caudill's teammates about that, he said he missed his entire senior year with a broken leg. And quit at least once his junior or sophomore year. I don't know how reliable the guy was--or how many games Caudill actually played.

freakintheseat
Freshman Team

Post by freakintheseat »

Where does Guthrie sit on the all time rebound records? Hawkeye?

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

J. Caudill broke his leg @ football practice his senior year. I know cause I was there. It was before the Tuesday(I think) before the Meigs game. This was in 91-92 school year and we went undefeated in Football that season and did not make the playoffs, due to points. Jason did not play basketball that season at all due to his injury. However the previous season VC won the Sectional and were beat by Miami Trace @ the Convo. I do not know of Jason quiting during his junior year, but cant speak for his soph year. He was a great athlete and in my opinion the best football player to ever attend VC.

Good Luck to Dut!! I know he has worked very hard for this and is very deserving of all of his accomplishments.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

You are half right Bluegrass; it was the Tuesday of week 3, the opponent in week 3 was Belpre @ Belpre, Meigs was played in week 2. He broke it doing an ordinary old tackling drill. Coach Jack O'Rouke said to me that when his leg broke it sounded like a shotgun blast. Come to find out he had a non-cancerous tumor or growth on his femur that cause his femur to be weaken. As I remember it the doctors told him it would have broken in a matter of time. And yes that is the year we went 10-0 and did not make the playoffs, we finished sixth in computer points and at that time they were only taking the top four from each region. In large part because Athens (which I believe they were D1, if not definitely D2) went 0-10. That team also had 5 shutouts and a total of 33 points scored against them. I firmly believe if Jason had stay healthy there could have been 10 shutouts, he was that dominating as a defensive football player, no one had an answer for him.

As far as basketball he is currently 11th on the All-Time scoring list, at 753 in 61 games. As far as him quitting I have talked to the same source, I think he was trying to convey that Jason and Coach Jerry Hice had a estranged relationship. It is no secret that those two never got along.

Dustin started the year sixth in rebounding, I willing to bet he has move up to fourth and probably will finished third. He can not catch Harold Caudill at 853 but has an outside chance at Mike Patterson at 720. Let's talk about this at the end of the season.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Thanks Hawkeye you are right. (again) Jason had a great game @ Meigs that year and had several Sacks.

LoganD14Life
Freshman Team

Post by LoganD14Life »

How far is dut away..
whens the next home game?

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Hawkeye, :lol: Thanks, :lol: You are right on all account's on Jason's senior year. What made him such a good athlete, was his team mates he played with. After he broke his leg, Hice never even called to talk to him. I know this was true, as Bluegrassvike stated, I was there. He tried to play too many head games with his players. I can tell you that Harold Caudill is Dut's biggest fan, and would be extremely proud, and is pulling for him to break the rebounding record, and set other records as well. Dustin is a great young man, a class act all the way, and could care less about personal records, as long as the team wins. He is also playing with great team mates, with his little brother, with an outstanding coaching staff, and very supportive parents and family.This team is having a special season, and will remember it for the rest of their lives. Good luck Vikings for the rest of the season.GO VIKES

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Thanks everybody.

D1, he is 40 away. They played tomorrow night at home against Nelsonville and at home against Belpre next Friday. I know Dut would love it if you could be there, but don't you play on Friday nights?

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

BLUEGRASSVIKE wrote:Thanks Hawkeye you are right. (again) Jason had a great game @ Meigs that year and had several Sacks.

I remember that game. The right tackle from Meigs quit blocking Jason, after about three plays. Jason had a free shot every play. I never got to see Jason play, but the three games his senior year because I lived in Florida his entire highschool career.
Took a leave-of-absence that seaon to watch the Vikes. They went 10-0 and no playoffs (old system).
Dut will get there, and be only the third Viking boys player to score over a 1,000 points in his career in the schools 40+ year history.

GO VIKES

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

Dustin will undoubtedly reach this milestone soon enough, but what he will be remembered for is being a winner. The main thing about tonight and next Friday is trying to win two very important league games. Knowing the type of kid Dustin is he'd be the first to tell you that. That's part of the reason why he is trying to be a part of his 3rd league championship team in 4 years and why his record as a starter is currently 47-11 over the last 3 seasons.

I know its fun for friends, family and fans to discuss things like points and rebounds, but again knowing how great a kid Dustin is, he is thinking about the team success right now first. Being a winner, and a first class young man will be the legacy he leaves behind at VC more so than any stats.

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

vchoops: this could not have been said any better....it is fun to ogle over his accomplishments but you are right he is very unselfish and will only focus on winning these very important games coming up, he as well as rest of the team have a great big target on them right now, so no matter what people say each team they play will bring their "A" game, after all who does not want to be the team to knock down the Vinton County Vikings? :-D

Best of luck tonight to all the players lets hope that each team member comes out injury free !

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

I hope he gets it next Friday, I would hate for him to get it all the way up here at Philo. The V.C community deserve to all see it.

freakintheseat
Freshman Team

Post by freakintheseat »

Philos_Finest, haven't heard much about your Electric's this year, how are they doing?
Looking forward to heading your way! :)

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

VC hoops is absolutely correct. I have known Dustin since he first started playing, back to McArthur Buckeyes 3rd grade. Man I am getting old. Anyways, Dustin has been nothing but a team player since day one. I had the pleasure to coach Dustin during the OYB days, beginning when he was in the seventh grade and up to last season.

One of my favorite Dustin's stories is when John Prater and I first started the OYB experiment in that first year, 7th grade. Our starting point guard who could score, broke his arm in the first five minutes of the first OYB game ever. I went to Dustin and told him he needed "...to look to score more." At the time he looked up at me, he doesn't now, and said "I don't want anyone to think I am a ballhog." I said to him "...son we don't win if you don't score." He went out scored a quiet 19 points and beat a very athletic team from Columbus. And after the game I congratulated him on a great game and he once more looked up at me and said "I can pass too." I said "I know son, but I am glad you didn't."

Right then and there I have been the biggest Dut Guthrie fan ever and knew we would be watching something special for the next 6 years. And once again I was right. I am very proud and honored to know Dustin Guthrie because he is a great teammate and a greater human being. And that will be his legacy.

Senator Tressel
Riding the Bench

Post by Senator Tressel »

Dustin scores 25 and 10 boards in a 103-48 win over Nelsonville. Should be a full house nex fri vs Belpre.

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

15 more points to go?

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

freakintheseat wrote:Philos_Finest, haven't heard much about your Electric's this year, how are they doing?
Looking forward to heading your way! :)

We are very inconsistent. 5-9 i belive for the season now. Beat 2 of the best teams in the league convincingly. Maysville by 14 & Morgan by about 10. Have beaten Crooksville, Sheridan & New Lex.

Lost to West M. by 5 at our place then lost by 16 at theirs tonight. Got beat by around 35 to Tri-Valley. Lost to New Lex at our place & Sheridan. Lost to John Glenn at home, Lost at Fisher Catholic by 3 & at Bloom Carrol by 4. Every game but tonights vs West & Tri-Valley should have been W's. Right now, I would say we are underachieving. Good News for you(not that you need it) we play Tri-Valley the night before you guys come to down.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

hawkeyepierce wrote:VC hoops is absolutely correct. I have known Dustin since he first started playing, back to McArthur Buckeyes 3rd grade. Man I am getting old. Anyways, Dustin has been nothing but a team player since day one. I had the pleasure to coach Dustin during the OYB days, beginning when he was in the seventh grade and up to last season.

One of my favorite Dustin's stories is when John Prater and I first started the OYB experiment in that first year, 7th grade. Our starting point guard who could score, broke his arm in the first five minutes of the first OYB game ever. I went to Dustin and told him he needed "...to look to score more." At the time he looked up at me, he doesn't now, and said "I don't want anyone to think I am a ballhog." I said to him "...son we don't win if you don't score." He went out scored a quiet 19 points and beat a very athletic team from Columbus. And after the game I congratulated him on a great game and he once more looked up at me and said "I can pass too." I said "I know son, but I am glad you didn't."

Right then and there I have been the biggest Dut Guthrie fan ever and knew we would be watching something special for the next 6 years. And once again I was right. I am very proud and honored to know Dustin Guthrie because he is a great teammate and a greater human being. And that will be his legacy.

Very nice Hawkeye!
Next week will be a packed house, & a special moment in Duts carreer should stop the action for a minute or two.
Also the white out game and da$h 4 the ca$h happens next Friday. Should be a splendid evening at Vinton County High School!
GO VIKES

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Guthrie count down

Return to “Boys Basketball”