Zane Trace 80 Portsmouth 74

casebolt101
Waterboy

Post by casebolt101 »

trojandave wrote:I wish I knew what Portsmouth team will show up Tuesday.......but I haven't a clue. These past 2 games vs. Ironton and Warren pretty much showed the good and bad about the Trojans this year. For everything they did right vs. Ironton, they did the same things poorly vs. Warren.

Talent wise, Portsmouth has the talent to make it to the regionals. Performance wise, everything has been a struggle to be consistent......whether it be team play, defense, rebounding, shooting, ballhandling, intensity, etc..........These Trojans have been one of the most hard to figure teams I've seen in the 37 years I have been watching the Red and Blue......yet at the same time these Trojans are one of the most intriguing PHS teams to watch.

We Trojan fans don't really know what we're going to get Tuesday night.....and that makes for extra anticipation as to what we'll see. If our good side shows up, I think we can win this game, no question. But if our bad side rears its ugly head, we're one and done.

I don't think I could look at it any other way and keep my sanity.....if I have any left.........

GO TROJANS!!! PLEASE SHOW YOUR GOOD SIDE TUESDAY!!!

ZT just out hustled PHS, not one time did I see any PHS players get on the hardwood for a loose ball, I think the under estimated ZT's hustle and I took them off quard. Better Luck Next Year

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

wish I coukld have been there, but I was so sick I couldnt get out of bed, I dont ever remember missing a Trojan playoff game in basketball or football :( , Im sure I have,,just dont remember its ben so long.

good luck to Zane Trace.

Portsmouth kids..next years season starts NOW.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Pioneers on the victory.....and good luck the rest of the way.....if they play like they did last night, they have an excellent chance of going to the Convo......and winning there.

I AM VERY PROUD OF OUR TROJANS AND THEIR COMEBACK.......up until the last 2 minutes, I felt that Portsmouth gave the Pioneers too many open looks.....and they took full advantage of them. PHS simply couldn't get a rally going until those exciting last 2 minutes......

Zane Trace is a well balanced ball club......they certainly looked better than a 12-8 team to me.........the Pioneers shot the ball about as well as anybody has vs. Portsmouth this season.

Still, Portsmouth had a good season in what I considered a "transition" year. We had only 1 returning starter from a 4-18 team, and on top of that started a freshman and sophomore........and still posted 9 wins, the most in 4 years. All 5 of last night's starting lineup for Portsmouth will return, so the improvement curve should continue to go up next year.........

Offensively, the Trojans should be very good in 2008-2009. I don't have any major concerns there. Defensively is where Portsmouth could stand the most improvement. But I think the talent and athleticism is there to really step it up in that department. This wasn't the only game where Portsmouth was not solid on the defensive end.

The Trojans had 5 more wins this year than last, and next year with all the returnees I really believe that PHS can add at least 5 more wins to the ledger. Coach Shoemaker has Portsmouth coming back, no doubt about it.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Army
S

Post by Army »

WOW :!:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Biggdowgg: Missed seeing you at the game, and I hope you're feeling better. I remembered to give Ozzie that "thing" from GAHS.

You're absolutely right about next year.....it starts NOW. I think we finally have a group of kids that are dedicated to basketball. I think in many games this year there were many teams that had the experience in their favor over Portsmouth. What these kids learned this year will prove valuable in 2008-2009.

GO TROJANS!!!
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I told Tobias at half time that there was no way a high school team could have to halfs of shooting the way Zane tarce did, but number 30 was lights out all night. I dont know how many points he had but he can shoot. Number 12 did a great job also. I thought we played all right in the 1st period but after that we were just there untill the last two mins of the game. I look forward to seeing this team next year.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

The Pioneers shot well last night.
Last edited by Bozo on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Zane Trace averaged 56 points a game in the regular season.

Tuesday night may have been the first time that this team has scored 80 points in the past two years.
Last edited by Bozo on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Zane Trace has been awful at the foul line all year, but they were able to make enough last night. They have won 13 games because of defense and hustle to be honest.

Men of Troy
Waterboy

Post by Men of Troy »

sounds like portsmouth should take a page out of ZT's book and try playing a little defense of their own. portsmouth has always taken great pride in pressing and getting after it on the defensive end. hopefully that is what we Trojan fans will see with next years club. basketball games are won with great defense, rebounding, and free throw shooting. if portsmouth can work on these weaknesses they should have a great season next year.

TrojanFan_#1
Waterboy

Post by TrojanFan_#1 »

Congratulations to ZT and good luck the rest of the way.

The Trojans had a good 1st half. However I think that Bendolph should have shot the ball a little more. He's a great shooter and takes it to the hoop strong. He's one heck of a player. Sometimes he's just not selfish enough. Nate had a good game inside. He worked hard and the guards did a good job of getting him the ball. He just got into foul trouble at the end. I think the Trojans have a good press when the players want to work at it. They do get lazy and don't like to play the "D", which happened against ZT. We would score and made a great comeback, but could not get a defensive stop. Partly because our "big" guys couldn't guard their players their size that could handle the ball. We played "D" flat footed and not on our toes. The Trojans new season does start now. If everyone stays the Trojans will be tough next year with everyone returning except Reeves and Bryant. WORK HARD THIS OFF-SEASON TROJANS!!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Portsmouth played well. Zane Trace just couldn't miss a shot. Great effort in the fourth quarter to make the big comeback. If Portsmouth works hard this summer and stays injury free next season, they could be very very good. They could easily win around 15 to 18 games next year. Only time will tell though........

Return to “Boys Basketball”