Vinton County vs WCH @ the Convo. 2/22

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Re: Vinton County vs WCH @ the Convo. 2/22

Post by CoyDuke »

Its funny how all of a sudden now Vinton County has enough talent to "win state championships" but just a few years ago they couldn't win half their games or even win sectionals. You may want to check and see what other ingredients are in your salt water taffey! How many schools in southeast ohio have ever won a state championship? I bet the list aint very long.

Salt Water Taffy
Waterboy

Post by Salt Water Taffy »

Captain Jack, why does it have to become personal? Can't we objectively discuss are sports program?

Trust me...I'm a huge Vinton County fan. I just think we can get more for are money.

I think things are getting better though. I have heard that nonteachers will be able to compete for jobs next school year. I would not be surprised to see a big shake-up. There are a lot of people in the community who would be great coaches. Names like Dixon, Guthrie, Games, Hale, Grillo and Thompson are just a few.

Just because your mommy and daddy paid for a college degree, doesn't mean you can coach kids.

Go Vikings!

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Good Luck Vikings....

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Is there someone out there that will updating the internet on a regular basis during this game? I am out of state and there is no one webcasting this game....PLEASE.....

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

b618 ... great post by the way ... I agree that TEAMS that want to contend beyond the regular season - especially TEAMS that have good "programs" , that produce year in year out - HAVE TO set up a regular season schedule that "pushes" their athletes to their limits in those extra non-league games ... teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line HAVE TO play games that allow their athletes to see/play against the speed/athleticism of teams Above the Line ... players HAVE TO see/play against the "next level" of player ... they HAVE TO put there own speed/athleticism up against the TEAMS/Athletes Above the Line - players need to know where they stand athletically, coaches need to know where their players/TEAM stands athletically ... scheduling teams that will provide the needed exposure to speed/athleticism is a MUST for all teams in Southern/Southeast Ohio that have deep runs into the tourney in mind with a final goal of playing in the big show in C'bus as a program goal ...

... getting to the big show obviously takes athletes - that a coach has no real control over - HOWEVER as a coach you have to be in control of all of the other factors that will allow your team to become a TEAM ... your teams from 7-12 to become a PROGRAM ... a coach CAN control WHAT is emphasized in his program (ie improving the fundamentals of ALL players top to bottom, these are the tools that ALL athletes build on to become the best they can be - obviously the best that an athlete can be depends on his own athletic ability - but a coach gives all of the players in the program what they need to be the best they can be .... a good program will NOT let the more athletic players get by on athleticism alone THEY FORCE these players to develop their fundamentals (this is how you give your best athletes the "tools" needed to compete vs any and all players/teams ) ... you can't control your league schedule SO you develop a non-league schedule that challenges ALL of your players. ALL positions - playing teams that WILL pressure your perimeter people, teams that have the quickness/speed to get in the passing lanes so your TEAM has to THINK/play strong with the ball ... teams that will punish/work your players on the boards ... you have to play teams/programs that WILL show your TEAM where they need to be to COMPETE ... a coach needs to be willing to NOT be influenced by, or restricted to "my record" ... coaches have to be willing to put their records on the line for the "development" of their players, their TEAM, their PROGRAM ...

... Vinton County's program - good athletes, quality coaching in place at all levels, a coach in Coach Combs that has control of the athletes, the program ... a coach who teaches the fundamentals etc etc ... imo VC IS ready for the next step in the evolution of not only being a regional power but a power that CAN go beyond THE CONVO on a regular basis - it has to do with scheduling of teams that WILL force the improvement of the VC players,team, program ...

... tonight's game will be a good one ... a Washington CH team that brings it every game, a VC team with all the pressure to get the W ... VC has the better talent - we'll be watching to see how it plays out on the hardwood tonight ... I don't see a blow out by either team - both teams will have to play 32 minutes of basketball to move on - Survive and Advance ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

Salt Water Taffy. That was a very impressive list of coaches you compiled, but my opinion is that with 40-2 record over the last two years and a winning pct. of over .700 during Coach Comb's tenure here, I think VC's boys basketball program is in great hands.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

I agree completely pfloyd. We wonder why the Southeast doesn't do well in the tournament, especially from an upper division standpoint and not seeing those schools over the line is a factor. Of course there are others but I always want to see my teams get challenged several times a season and see how they respond to that adversity. Coach Combs and crew have a good program at Vinton County that the community should be extremely proud of. And in their defense, Waverly looked like a good game to schedule before the season. Sometimes that happens. But it would be nice to maybe see them get in the Chillicothe Showcase or Zane Trace Tip-Off to face a good opponent. Logan Elm plays at ZT every year and has seen programs like Cincinnati Taft, Olentangy, Harvest Prep and others. Greenfield also does it and has faced DeSales, Reynoldsburg and other good tests. That is an easier way to get a good non-league game and then try to sprinkle in a couple of OCC schools, a good SEOAL school, a good MSL school, etc. You got the makings of a good schedule then.

On this game, it'll be interesting to see how Vinton combats center Alex Wilson and some decent CH guards like Shaw, Free and a speedy Harris who is a steal threat. CH has seemed to get things moving at the right time, capped by beating Madison Plains. Hope the roads are better than last night. It was an adventure getting to the Convo from Roundtown and I didn't get to enjoy the full Convo experience.

Boardwarrior08
Waterboy

Post by Boardwarrior08 »

man, how can vinton county always dominate teams like wellston, nells-york, meigs then get slaughtered @the convo, they're a joke.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... boardwarrior08 ... take foot ... open mouth ... insert foot ... I'm sure you feel better now - both after such an intelligent post AND with your foot securely placed within your mouth ... Vinton Co. has provided some of the most exciting games to ever be played at the Convo over the years - maybe you should do a little digging before you make your 5th post ...

Boardwarrior08
Waterboy

Post by Boardwarrior08 »

Vinton county is like the buffalo bills in the 90's..........and i'm sorry you spend more time on an internet forum than me.

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Please tellme someone will be updating as the game goes on ,( for those of us unfortunate enough to not be present) as far as I am concerned the only thing that matters is the end result.

GO DUSTIN AND GO VIKINGS SHUT THEM ALL UP !!!

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

pfloyd and bman -

great posts on the scheduling! I have brought this up a couple of times this yr and the vc posters have "killed" me!! some people at VC, these posters at least, feel it is best to win 18-20 regular season games and guarantee the #1 seed. This way they get the "easiest" path to the district -- and this yr, the district final.

I would love to see the SE district go the way that the central district does....everyone is seeded (i.e. #1-20) and #1 puts their name on the board wherever they want, then #2 puts their name on the board, #3 etc.... by doing this even a #2 or #3 seed that hasn't "prepared" itself would find a lot of #4,#5,#6 seeds lining up to play them in the sectionals or district semis!!

Good luck to both of you when the "smartest poster on the internet" sees your comments!!

late,
sweetpea

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Go Luck Vikes! 8)

LoganD14Life
Freshman Team

Post by LoganD14Life »

Good luck Vikes. I wish you guys the best of luck and i hope my Boi DUT takes over.

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

akwhitewater wrote:Please tellme someone will be updating as the game goes on ,( for those of us unfortunate enough to not be present) as far as I am concerned the only thing that matters is the end result.

GO DUSTIN AND GO VIKINGS SHUT THEM ALL UP !!!

If I can find the game on the radio I will give you updates.

GO VIKES

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Thank you, i was able to find out that the followin radio stations will carry the game but none online that I can hear.WKOV Jackson & WCHO 105.5

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

Almost game time!!!!!

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Keep me updated please play by play......

Return to “Boys Basketball”