Chillicothe vs Marietta 2/21

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Re: Chillicothe vs Marietta 2/21

Post by O.R.prep »

Bottem Line: If this team gets to State Gary Kellough By far will go down as the best B-ball coach to ever coach at chilly PERIOD. Don't give me the Cuppett stuff. He had alot of talent to but never made the finals.

Re- Humpty and Chambers. i will Guarantee anybody that if Kellough dose not come to chilly there would be no Humpty and for sure no Chambers playing at CHS. That is all I will say to that.

Last thing:I don't care if it was the 70s - 80s or the 90s Humpty is by far the best point guard this area has seen ever. Folks please enjoy this show at Chilly because there is only a few times more we will all get to wittness this type of player in the Chilly hoops program. O.R prep Out

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

dont give you that cuppett stuff.....oh brother....cuppett WAS the best coach ever at chs hands down..... this chilli team is loaded, but cuppetts teams played tough competition game after game. coach k has done an admirable job at chilli, but geesh, look at the talent he has. humpty is the best pt. guard ive seen in these parts in my 40+years watching basketball. cuppett brought more discipline than any coach ive seen at chs. i see a couple of cavs goofing off in pre-game warmups that wouldnt have been tolerated by coach cuppett, no matter who you are. right now, all i care, no matter who the coach is, that chilli makes it to state and WINS it all. this team has been very enjoyable to watch!

G O C A V S !!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

O.R.prep wrote:Bottem Line: If this team gets to State Gary Kellough By far will go down as the best B-ball coach to ever coach at chilly PERIOD. Don't give me the Cuppett stuff. He had alot of talent to but never made the finals.

Re- Humpty and Chambers. i will Guarantee anybody that if Kellough dose not come to chilly there would be no Humpty and for sure no Chambers playing at CHS. That is all I will say to that.

Last thing:I don't care if it was the 70s - 80s or the 90s Humpty is by far the best point guard this area has seen ever. Folks please enjoy this show at Chilly because there is only a few times more we will all get to wittness this type of player in the Chilly hoops program. O.R prep Out

O.R. Prep,

My good friend. You sound a bit harsh tonight. Us ole timers probably have a different set of glasses on. I do agree that Coach K. will get the props he deserves, however, you are to young to understand the 70's teams of Chilly. Remember we were playing AAA schools and lost to the likes of the Linden McKinleys and Portsmouths of the state. This team may go down as the best all time, but I am not prepared to say it yet, nor do I believe the talent is as deep.

From a pt guard standpoint, Hump will go down as the best around here in years (if not ever). However the debate between he and Bayless is fruitless as they are different type of players (though Bayless ran the point at OSU starting as a frosh). There are many old heads around here that have seen the Mickey's, the Bayless, and know Hump. It is a great discussion to have, and he definitely makes the all-time top 5 team.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!!

TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 2 down....

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

the seoal league is no comparison to the old col.....playing the likes of newark, zanesville, upper arlington, marietta, lancaster, grove city twice each. and if i recall, we played portsmouth twice each year non-conference. then you threw in miami trace, who at the time had pretty good teams. cuppett had his teams ready to play. cuppett didnt care who your parents were, or what side of town you came from. i remember when you had to get all your teachers every friday , write your grade , and sign it. and boy, if it wasn't good, you were in serious trouble. and he had a strict curfew. he told you what time you were to be home on nights you didnt have games. and he would occasionly check on you. i cant comment on coach k's coaching because im not around it everyday. maybe im just old, but i appreciated coach cuppetts style.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bronc21 wrote:the seoal league is no comparison to the old col.....playing the likes of newark, zanesville, upper arlington, marietta, lancaster, grove city twice each. and if i recall, we played portsmouth twice each year non-conference. then you threw in miami trace, who at the time had pretty good teams. cuppett had his teams ready to play. cuppett didnt care who your parents were, or what side of town you came from. i remember when you had to get all your teachers every friday , write your grade , and sign it. and boy, if it wasn't good, you were in serious trouble. and he had a strict curfew. he told you what time you were to be home on nights you didnt have games. and he would occasionly check on you. i cant comment on coach k's coaching because im not around it everyday. maybe im just old, but i appreciated coach cuppetts style.

bronc,

I missed that curfew one time (I repeat just one time). An experience I will never forget. Also, those old rivalries were at the time those schools were much larger. The old COL was brutal.

GO CAVS!!!

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

Regarding the Cuppett comment. Let's give Coach K about ten years before statements on who's the greatest coach at Chilli. This class along with last years and next years class has been a pretty special group of kids coming up through the system. I've seen this coming since Jr. High. Several of these boys have been involved with spring OYB/AAU ball since Jr. High. If you can't run in AAU, you don't play AAU ball, period. Just ask Humpty, Ray, Newman, Seth, ...

Coach K has brought tremendous excitement back to the program at Chilli. The man loves the game and coaching the kids. I believe the same is happening with the girls program. Chilli is heading in the right direction. Let's hope we see similar success at the lower levels in the coming years. There is still alot of work to do. More support is needed from the community, IMO. e.g. Supporting spring ball teams, gym time, etc.

Go Cavs...

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

I have a younger brother that tended to oversleep and not get to school on time. Coach C was known to send someone over to the house to get his butt out of bed and to school. I always thought curfews were normal with sports when I grew up.

bit...

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

Man... so close to the 'E' :)

<<<<<<<<------------------------------

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Hitch/Bronc/Bit- sorry if it sounded harsh re-Coach Cupp. I know he was a great Coach. Don't get me wrong. However you are judged in sports on the success you achieve. He (coach Cuppett) was successful but he never got to the final four. And he had a load of talent.

Coach K- on the other hand in three years with not as much talent as some of those Cuppett teams( except Humpty) has positioned this team to make the final four and was seven points from it last year.

Re- compitition I agree with the fact the COL was better then theSCOAL.But guys, Basketball in the prep world is a totaly different world then the good old days(for that fact so is life) With AAU and Kids being Bigger, Faster ,Stronger and Coaches being limited on what type of disipline they can inforce before there in hot water.they just can't do things like you could in those days. I still think even if this team was in the OCC they would still be the cream of the crop

Re- The Humpty/ Mark Bayless debate did not see Bayless But told he was more of a two gaurd then a point. Hump is the best Point Chilly has ever had. OR Prep out

Return to “Boys Basketball”