State Tourny Overrated......?

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

Coaches, players, and fans will always remember a trip to the final 4. As a North Adams fan who was present for their semi final game I can tell you that I'll never forget it. I still get mad thinking about it.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Heck, as a Unioto fan, I'd take just a trip to the Convo at this point. It's been 7 years and it was 5 before that.

I was a little kid when they lost in the State Title game to Wayne Trace, but I'll always remember travelling to all of those games. The last time the Unioto girls made it to state, they didn't win the league, would that make that season a disappointment?

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Nelsonville (not York) won the State Championship in Baseball in the 50's and was runner-up in Basketball in the 50's.

But, I would say any school would choose a State Championship in anything over a league title.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

There is a quirky circumstance that could arise with Chillicothe. The Cavaliers didn't win the SEOAL title, yet could win the state championship.

League championships are much more common than going to the Final 4. Buy a state tournament program and look at the directory of schools that have made it to the state tournament. Then just think of those schools that have NEVER made it there.

Going to the state tournament is a rare event for the overwhelming majority of schools. That is why it is so special.

mhs82: I respect McClain's program for being consistent winners. They, along with Chesapeake and Wheelersburg, have been the most prominent programs in SE Ohio for the last 15 years or so. These 3 schools have been to the regionals numerous times, with Wheelersburg advancing to the state.

I wonder if South Point would trade it's 20-0 season for a long run in the tourney. That's a hard one to guess at for an outsider like me, considering what the Pointers did this year may never happen again or it may take 40-50 years to duplicate. 20-0 seasons are extremely rare, and in a year in which the OVC had a strong group of teams, going undefeated is a GREAT accomplishment. I wonder if the Pointers had that as one of their goals for the season.

I can bet years from now SP fans, players, and coaches will always talk about the 2007-2008 undefeated Pointer team, regardless of how they fared in the tournament. Those who witnessed it will remember it for the rest of their lives.

And it is tougher to go 20-0 than to win a couple of postseason games, because you were consistent over a longer period of time as opposed to a couple of weeks. Much easier to have an off night over the course of a 20 game season, when focus for the entire schedule is always a concern for coaches.

Greenfield McClain went 20-0 last year and made it to the district finals. Of course the Tigers wanted to go farther, but last year's season will be long remembered in that community......and they lost in the tournament to a very good Chillicothe team. They played their hearts out, and left everything on the court. And they made Chillicothe beat them.....they didn't beat themselves.

Bobcat Thunder
Freshman Team

Post by Bobcat Thunder »

If your Moeller and X, you can play for the League and State title against each other. As I said on another post, it is ridiculous that Moeller plays in the Columbus Region. Hopefully Northland knocks them off.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

GAHS,
Zane Trace has not even won a district title in the last 38 years of basketball at the school. That is not even getting to a regional.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Bobcat,OHSAA is not stupid.If they break up the Cincy regional then St.X and Moeller can meet in the state finals.$$$$$ 8)

Bobcat Thunder
Freshman Team

Post by Bobcat Thunder »

earp wrote:Bobcat,OHSAA is not stupid.If they break up the Cincy regional then St.X and Moeller can meet in the state finals.$$$$$ 8)

Oh no worries, I understand that. I'm just expressing my distaste.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth High School Trojans......4 Time State Champions......3 Time State Runnerup

1931, 1961, 1978, 1988.......and we wouldn't trade any of them for any league title!!

I have been blessed to have watched my Trojans win 2 of the 4 state titles. Believe me......they are SPECIAL......and unlike any other accomplishment along the way.

Being runnerup is a nice accomplishment, but you still feel somewhat disappointed because you came so close to winning it all!!

Our trophy case is set up where the state championship trophies are displayed by themselves.......no other trophies displayed come close to those......and the pictures on the wall in the lobby.....for those who have seen them.......make a PHS alum very proud.

And the way Portsmouth has been going.......6 straight losing years.....makes those state titles even more SPECIAL!!

For all schools involved in tourney play, whatever your goals were at the start of the season, if you accomplished all or most of them, then you probably have had a successful season. For those schools who truly feel they are good enough to go to the state......Chillicothe for example......advancing to the regional again and losing would still be a very nice accomplishment, but it would probably be disappointing because this year the talent they have on that team won't be the case in most years. They have a special group of basketball players this year. Good enough to WIN the state title.

Excellent post.

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

titles

Post by tropicalbreeze »

BT, I'm actually hoping that Zanesville gets a shot @ Moeller in the regional Semi's. I think people will be surprised how competitive that game will be. So, Moeller could have to go through Zanes then Northland in the "weak" Columbus regional. I think they may have to earn that trip this year!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

No way is the State Tournament over rated! I will never forget watching the Burg in the final 4 back to back years.

A 20-0 season is something to be very proud of, but I think a loss or two somewhere along the way to a good quality team is not necessarily a bad thing to make sure a team stays grounded in the tournament and does not take for granted if they show up, they win. Look at Burg's losses over the past couple of years (South Webster - won state D IV, McClain - Dante Jackson, Chillicothe - top 5 in D II, Oak Hill - chance to go far this year in D IV). Those were all tough losses to take, but I feel those kind of games, even if lost, help prepare a team for the tournament.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Re: State Tourny Overrated......?

Post by thecinderellapick »

i dont know guys. if this here rocket has won so many state tourneys in so many sports, maybe hes right... maybe we ALL should take a deeper look at not the big picture, but the small one instead. i really think he might be on to something with his ideas.

racinerebel
Riding the Bench

Post by racinerebel »

Hate to break away from the topic but I figured this would be the best place to ask. How much do the state tickets cost and do you buy them there or ahead of time(If so, where :?: ) I've never been to a state finals game and thought I'd try to go this year.

The Rocket
Waterboy

I'm Back

Post by The Rocket »

c-pick.....

Oh yes, I have many great ideas and won many games. I know what I'm talking about.

justacommontator
Waterboy

Post by justacommontator »

Rocket,
Overrated of Not, the community gets more excited at tourney time. And a big tournament run is an awesome way to the end the seaon. But you already know that. The Rocket has been there. I do agree however, that one game can blow the tournament run, for the league a good team has a chance to recover. You know you will meet each team again. Good Luck, Rocket.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Ya whatever! You have many great ideas and have won many games but wont tell us what school you attended because you know if you say you are going to get youre hand called. :roll: Oh and RacineRebel,State prices went up to $10 per game at the gate day of the game,Upper level all session books are I believe$120 and lower level all session books are$144. ;-)You can generally walk up to any game and purchase best available or even sometimes get good seats off of people selling them outside between sessions.The only time tickets were ever really a problem was when Lebron played in it.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: I'm Back

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The Rocket wrote:c-pick.....

Oh yes, I have many great ideas and won many games. I know what I'm talking about.

Then prove it loud mouth. Tell us just exactly which school attended that won a state title in both basketball and baseball in the same 4 years you were in school.

I just went back through the past champions on the OHSAA web site and since 2000 no school has won the state title in both basketball and baseball in a 4 year period other than Cincinnati Moeller and I don't consider them a "small school from southern Ohio".

So either you are full of it or it occurred before that time period. My money is on the first option.

Black Panther
SEO

Re:

Post by Black Panther »

danicalifornia wrote:I care and so does pretty much everyone else.

Would you seriously rather win a league title over a State Title? a Regional Title? Even a District Title? I would rather win my league than win a Sectional, but that's it.

I would take the tourney win and advancing myself.League titles are nice though.This time of year it's "Survive and Advance" thats all it's about right now.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Ironton was "independent" for so many years I forget that "League" titles even exist.
Also - most Leagues include schools of different Divisions. So, say, your Div 3 team didn't finish first in your League but had a great Tournament run to the District/Regional/State level; and the Div 1 or 2 team that beat you for League Championship gets knocked out in the early rounds of their Tournament play.
Which of those teams is really going to have "bragging rights"? The State Tournament accomplishment, of course, not the "local" League one.

I thought by the Topic Title that this thread was going to be about the "quality" of competion and degree of "excitement" regarding promoting/encouraging spectator attendance at Tournament play.
I was planning on pointing out the extremely narrow margins of victory in so many of the Girls' games on Sat - certainly proof of interesting, exciting games well worth the price of admission! Not "over-rated" at all!

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Re: I'm Back

Post by thecinderellapick »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
The Rocket wrote:c-pick.....

Then prove it loud mouth. Tell us just exactly which school attended that won a state title in both basketball and baseball in the same 4 years you were in school.

I just went back through the past champions on the OHSAA web site and since 2000 no school has won the state title in both basketball and baseball in a 4 year period other than Cincinnati Moeller and I don't consider them a "small school from southern Ohio".

So either you are full of it or it occurred before that time period. My money is on the first option.

calm down BG... what ever happened to the times when you could just take a mans (or womens) word and trust that? going behind their backs and checkin' on them is just WRONG! i think its AWESOME that there is a small school representative from such a little known town that is PROUD OF THERE ACCOMPLISHMENTS!

Return to “Boys Basketball”