Varsity

Re: 2/29 Greenfield McClain Vs. Vinton County

Post by brutally honest »

56-43 Vinton County

Army
S

Post by Army »

I think if the guards from VC can hit the outside shot and their big guys can keep the inside closed down, the VIKES will win. The key seems to be holding GF McClain from gaining speed in late 3rd and 4th periods in this SE-Ohio Tournament.

Good Luck Vikings :!: :)

cat1606
Riding the Bench

Post by cat1606 »

greenfield in a very low scoring game.

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

Hopefully VC comes out on top is this one. I dont know what they need to do to get respect. I am a waterford alum, and I watched them play us in one of the better ball games i have seen this year. I really enjoyed it. It was a great atmoshere, two very good teams that don't get enough respect. I was also very impressed with the enthusiasm that the viking fans showed at that game, while still remaining very classy at the same time. I hope they keep winning and representing the TVC well. VC is very good and I think they will prevail in this game.

Shooter McGavin
Waterboy

Post by Shooter McGavin »

There will be no double-digit victory in this game. Greenfield lacks the depth to full-court pressure Vinton County. Granted, McClain's halfcourt defense could give Vinton fits if some pressure is not relieved off of Andy Grillo. A ball screen or two would make his life much easier. If McClain gets a lead late in the game, it will be difficult for Vinton to comeback because McClain is so methodical on offense. On the other hand, if Vinton gets the lead late, it will be difficult for McClain to comeback because Greenfield doesn't score in bunches. Nevertheless, the fans will get one heck of a night of basketball.
I predict:
Vinton County 50
Greenfield 46

Michael Scott
Riding the Bench

Post by Michael Scott »

Greenfield- 45
VC- 39
Should be a good game with good defense.

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

Shooter McGavin wrote:There will be no double-digit victory in this game. Greenfield lacks the depth to full-court pressure Vinton County. Granted, McClain's halfcourt defense could give Vinton fits if some pressure is not relieved off of Andy Grillo. A ball screen or two would make his life much easier. If McClain gets a lead late in the game, it will be difficult for Vinton to comeback because McClain is so methodical on offense. On the other hand, if Vinton gets the lead late, it will be difficult for McClain to comeback because Greenfield doesn't score in bunches. Nevertheless, the fans will get one heck of a night of basketball.
I predict:
Vinton County 50
Greenfield 46

I disagree that Mcclain will not be able to press VC. If Court House can press them and force several turnovers like they did, I know Mcclain can. The question will be if Mcclain can put enough points on the board. I think they can.

Shooter McGavin
Waterboy

Post by Shooter McGavin »

GoBlue22 wrote:
Shooter McGavin wrote:There will be no double-digit victory in this game. Greenfield lacks the depth to full-court pressure Vinton County. Granted, McClain's halfcourt defense could give Vinton fits if some pressure is not relieved off of Andy Grillo. A ball screen or two would make his life much easier. If McClain gets a lead late in the game, it will be difficult for Vinton to comeback because McClain is so methodical on offense. On the other hand, if Vinton gets the lead late, it will be difficult for McClain to comeback because Greenfield doesn't score in bunches. Nevertheless, the fans will get one heck of a night of basketball.
I predict:
Vinton County 50
Greenfield 46

I disagree that Mcclain will not be able to press VC. If Court House can press them and force several turnovers like they did, I know Mcclain can. The question will be if Mcclain can put enough points on the board. I think they can.

Court House was much deeper than McClain. Greenfield only plays a six-man rotation. Also, I've yet to watch a Greenfield game where they press right out of the gate. The half-court pressure is what I am worried about.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

After watching both teams my opinion is that Vinton County is a bit stronger. I was a little surprised that the GM/Gallia game was a close as it was. What I saw in that game is that you can hang with GM if you are more physical than they are. Gallia clearly was. In the same respect, Vinton County will be also.

However, on the other side of the ball, Vinton County has a pretty obvious weakness that has been exposed: ball handling. The point guard does a fine job of handling the ball, don't get me wrong. But it is obvious that they rely on him heavily to perform that task. Putting pressure on the ball handler is what allowed Wash Courthouse to get back into the game.

So I suppose the difference will be who can exploit the weakness of the other more effectively. I have no ties to either school, and have seen them play only minimally, but from my brief observation it appears that Vinton County should be favored to win.

I agree that it should be a very good game and could easily go either way.

Purple Cobras
Waterboy

Post by Purple Cobras »

McClain hasn't pressed since the Carter administration, folks...they just play good, solid defense the way it's supposed to be played, year in & year out.

BuckeyeGuy38
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeGuy38 »

What time will this game be played?? And this game is on friday the 29th right?

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

BuckeyeGuy38 wrote:What time will this game be played?? And this game is on friday the 29th right?

VC/Greenfield go Friday night in the second game which is set to tip at 8:15. The Chilli/LE game is at 6:15PM

BuckeyeGuy38
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeGuy38 »

Thanks alot Webb.....will this be a spilt session or will u be able to stay if u attend the Chillicothe game first? hopefully its not a split.

but i will take VC in this one i have watched them play twice and are very skilled at times they can play with anyone but at other times they cant so it depends on which VC team shows up

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

BuckeyeGuy38 wrote:Thanks alot Webb.....will this be a spilt session or will u be able to stay if u attend the Chillicothe game first? hopefully its not a split

Nope...they won't be clearing the place between games. One ticket gets you in for the duration.

As a VC fan(and I'm sure the folks from McClain would agree) it would be real cool if the nice people of Chilli and LE would allow the fans for the 2nd game an opportunity to move down.

The Convo will definitely be rockin Friday night. For TWO great games.

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

Shooter McGavin wrote:
GoBlue22 wrote:
I predict:
Vinton County 50
Greenfield 46

Court House was much deeper than McClain. Greenfield only plays a six-man rotation. Also, I've yet to watch a Greenfield game where they press right out of the gate. The half-court pressure is what I am worried about.

If WCH is so much deeper than Mcclain, then how did Mcclain beat them twice this season? During the season, they played more than six guys, more like 8. You might see more subs against VC for defense.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Just play Viking basketball guys, and things will be alright.

GO VIKES

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

A key to this game that I havent seen put up yet is tempo. I know the Tigers are, as always, going to try to slow it down to almost a dead stop, and VC will try to run. I would think VC would like to get this game in the 60's or 70's and GF would like to keep it in the 40's or low 50's. I have a hard time thinking this team will keep the Vikes from getiing into the 50 point range, therefore I think the Vikings will win this ball game. However, if Greenfield is able to set the pace and tempo of the game it could go either way.

GO VIKES!!!!! 1 more for a district title!!!

BBallDUMB
Waterboy

Post by BBallDUMB »

diamondD1 wrote:After watching both teams my opinion is that Vinton County is a bit stronger. I was a little surprised that the GM/Gallia game was a close as it was. What I saw in that game is that you can hang with GM if you are more physical than they are. Gallia clearly was. In the same respect, Vinton County will be also.

However, on the other side of the ball, Vinton County has a pretty obvious weakness that has been exposed: ball handling. The point guard does a fine job of handling the ball, don't get me wrong. But it is obvious that they rely on him heavily to perform that task. Putting pressure on the ball handler is what allowed Wash Courthouse to get back into the game.

So I suppose the difference will be who can exploit the weakness of the other more effectively. I have no ties to either school, and have seen them play only minimally, but from my brief observation it appears that Vinton County should be favored to win.

I agree that it should be a very good game and could easily go either way.

I disagree about being stronger, GF held the big kid (55) from Galia to 9 points I think, 4 of those were at the foul line late in the game. Hummm Adena super scorer Roll....3 points, Baker from Unioto 2 points first game 9 second, WCH Shaw 7 points second game, those are just a few off the top of my head.

Greenfield hasn't pressed in years, but you never know what VM will come with at tourney time!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”