2/29 Greenfield McClain Vs. Vinton County

Who's going to win?

Total votes: 0

vc chica 02
Waterboy

Re: 2/29 Greenfield McClain Vs. Vinton County

Post by vc chica 02 »

Glad to be here, always felt a little outnumbered, being from the se ahia area, on the other.

Haven't been this excited for a bball game since the last VC/GM matchup in the finals.
No matter the score, should be a great game.

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

I disagree that Mcclain will not be able to press VC. If Court House can press them and force several turnovers like they did, I know Mcclain can. The question will be if Mcclain can put enough points on the board. I think they can.[/quote

If WCH is so much deeper than Mcclain, then how did Mcclain beat them twice this season? During the season, they played more than six guys, more like 8. You might see more subs against VC for defense.[/quote][/quote]

Just because a team is deeper than another doesn't necessarily mean that that team is better. Would you like to tell me what eight players Greenfield played in a close contest? I only count six, seven maximum.

Shooter McGavin
Waterboy

Post by Shooter McGavin »

The difference maker in this game will be which team can weather the storm if the other team goes on a run. There will be spurts in the game where Vinton County will go four or five trips without a basket. How the players respond to this adversity could tell the tale in this game.
There will also be times where Vinton scores in transition and off of their defense. This could cause Greenfield to play outside of their patient offense, adding fuel to the fire. Greenfield has to take advantage of every offensive possesion. My theory is that whatever team shoots the most in a game typically wins. Having long, drawn-out possessions followed by a missed basket could hurt Greenfield. VC is less patient on offense and will end up shooting more in this game. Lets hope they're on.

Purple Cobras
Waterboy

Post by Purple Cobras »

Shooter McGavin wrote:The difference maker in this game will be which team can weather the storm if the other team goes on a run. There will be spurts in the game where Vinton County will go four or five trips without a basket. How the players respond to this adversity could tell the tale in this game.
There will also be times where Vinton scores in transition and off of their defense. This could cause Greenfield to play outside of their patient offense, adding fuel to the fire. Greenfield has to take advantage of every offensive possesion. My theory is that whatever team shoots the most in a game typically wins. Having long, drawn-out possessions followed by a missed basket could hurt Greenfield. VC is less patient on offense and will end up shooting more in this game. Lets hope they're on.

good points - however McClain isn't as worried so much about missing shots as they are about having empty possessions (foul or turnover). Given as much time as they prefer to take on offense empty possessions can't occur. The Tigers do get to the free-throw line a bunch though, usually due to forcing their opponents to break down & be out of position with those long posessions. Free-throw shooting will be huge, along with the turnover battle. The more disciplined team will prevail...

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

Ted Striker wrote:I disagree that Mcclain will not be able to press VC. If Court House can press them and force several turnovers like they did, I know Mcclain can. The question will be if Mcclain can put enough points on the board. I think they can.[/quote

If WCH is so much deeper than Mcclain, then how did Mcclain beat them twice this season? During the season, they played more than six guys, more like 8. You might see more subs against VC for defense.
[/quote]

Just because a team is deeper than another doesn't necessarily mean that that team is better. Would you like to tell me what eight players Greenfield played in a close contest? I only count six, seven maximum.[/quote]

I never specified that they played eight players in a close game, I just meant in general. I agree that they play 6 or 7 in close games. Logan Wise was getting playing time during the season, but has not played in the tourney.

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

I was wondering if anyone is covering this game. I have to admit I am really disappointed in the coverage of these games, none of the Athens stations are covering this game I was also suprised to find that the stations from Greenfield are not covering the game either. I really thought maybe the University would cover this but I guess not.

Does anyone know who is covering the game or if ANYONE is covering the game?

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

WVNU 97.5 FM in Greenfield usually cover every Mcclain game. Ohio University is only the host of the games. Or 105.5 in Hillsboro sometimes cover their games.

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

I called WVNU they are not covering the game :cry: But thanks for the info for 105.5. Would you happen to have their call sign?

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

105.5 is WSRW and according to their website they are covering the game.

slamjam
Waterboy

Post by slamjam »

105.5 is actually WCHO from Washington CH, which is now combined with Hillsboro's 1590 AM since the FM station was moved outta Hillsboro. Ernie Blankenship is still doing the play by play just like he has for the last 49 years. He loves all these kids from Peebles and North Adams, Eastern Brown, all the Highland County schools...He was there broadcasting games before any of those communities had local stations.

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

I e-mailed the station and they said they were not covering the game but would update as info came in. Any other suggestions?

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

I'm going to call it like I see it. VC has better 3 point shooters, and a better big man in Guthrie. I dont see how the Tigers can hang.

VC 67

GM 51

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

GO GREENFIELD!!

vc chica 02
Waterboy

Post by vc chica 02 »

ball hound wrote:98.7

That is the VC broadcast, with Grillo and Thacker I believe.

Purple Cobras
Waterboy

Post by Purple Cobras »

HaterAid wrote:I'm going to call it like I see it. VC has better 3 point shooters, and a better big man in Guthrie. I dont see how the Tigers can hang.

VC 67

GM 51

I like your enthusiasm but there's no way in hell Vinton County scores 67 points on McClain. They have a nice program right now with Combs at the helm, and they have a great chance of winning the game. But......they won't get enough opportunities to put up 67 points. Don't be surprised if your man Guthrie goes to the bench early with foul trouble - mark THAT down. 8)

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Purple Cobras wrote:
HaterAid wrote:I'm going to call it like I see it. VC has better 3 point shooters, and a better big man in Guthrie. I dont see how the Tigers can hang.

VC 67

GM 51

I like your enthusiasm but there's no way in hell Vinton County scores 67 points on McClain. They have a nice program right now with Combs at the helm, and they have a great chance of winning the game. But......they won't get enough opportunities to put up 67 points. Don't be surprised if your man Guthrie goes to the bench early with foul trouble - mark THAT down. 8)

Purple Cobras, I totally agree. Vinton County is perfectly capable of scoring 67 points but Coach Van Meter and the Tigers simply will not give them enough possessions to score in the sixties. As for Guthrie getting into early foul trouble, I just don't see it. He is way to smart and really sound defensively. I like the Vikings in a close one! 8)

Good Luck to both teams! :-D

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Play smart basketball Vikes.
Game day; HOOYAH!

GO VIKES

thevalkyrie
Waterboy

Post by thevalkyrie »

Great article this AM in the Chillicothe Gazette. (Hope the link works!) This is going to be a great game tonight! Can't wait to get there!

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/apps/ ... /802290325

Good Luck Vikings!

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

VC by 8, good luck VC!!! Go TVC

Return to “Boys Basketball”