Boys Regional Semi Finals: Wheelersburg vs. Bishop Ready

Who's going to win?

Total votes: 0

sportsnut614
Waterboy

Re: Boys Regional Semi Finals: Wheelersburg vs. Bishop Ready

Post by sportsnut614 »

Wow! There is another program besides burg.Maybe Elmer Fudd would have called an intentional foul if he were there

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Both the Radio guy were saying it was a intentional foul also.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Congrats to CBR on the win. They hit the big shots when needed and executed their offense very well.

Burg's downfall was the fact they went from being up 13-4 at one point in the first qtr, to being down 20-18 at the half. After the big start, they went cold and was outscored 16-5 the rest of the half. They never could put BR away, even with being up 43-37 with around 4 minutes left in the game. BR never panicked and kept their composure and fought back to take the lead 46-45.

Great game by Dustin Cook off the bench. He hit some big three's in the second half that kept the Pirates close.

How the foul called with 7 seconds left was not intentional was a bad call. It was obvious that Drew had an easy layup for the tie and the BR player just grabbed him. Should have been two shots and the ball out of bounds, but the official didn't have the cochangas to make that call, but like someone said above, had CBR hit their FT's late in the game, this game would not have been close. They missed like 5-6 in the last minute. Lucky to get a win when you do that.

Congrats to the Burg on a great season and thanks to the Seniors on a great run the last 4 years. This group won 10 straight games at the convo the last three years and I would be surprised if that has ever been done. 3 district and 2 regional titles the last three years is not to shabby.

sportsfanatic3
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanatic3 »

Take it from an outsider looking in, it was not an intentional foul. That's coming from the most unbiased person at that game.

For everyone who says it is, you're crazy. That was the smartest foul I've seen in such a long time. Explain to the difference if Bishop Ready is down, and makes that exact same foul? The "form" for of the foul is the exact same as when a team is down, they run at them and have to make some type of contact to get the foul call. However, in this instance, Ready was up and didn't want to give up the wide open layup to tie the game up and probably send it to overtime. Thinking that it was intentional only because Ready was winning at the time is a double standard. That type of foul is done time after time after time in nearly every game where a team is down 2-10 points. So you're telling me that if a team is up they can't do the same?

Bishop Ready knew they had a couple fouls to give, and their coach made sure he informed them of that.

Bishop Ready was a very very very coached team, and I applaud the play at the end. Yes, I hate to see Wheelersburg go out because they are a local SOC team. But the foul was the correct play, and the correct call was made. Period.

waydowntown
Freshman Team

Post by waydowntown »

Congrats to Bishop Ready on a great win, and moreover, congrats to Burg on a great season after everyone predicted a down year for these boys. Way to represent the SOC and all of Southern Ohio this year throughout tournament play! Good luck to each of the seniors and whatever their future may bring them...

burgfan2
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2 »

How can you say it was not an intentional foul? An intentional foul is when a player foul and doesn't go for the ball which was clearly what that kid did. He knew he was beat and just grabbed Drew to keep him from making the lay up. It turned out to be the smartest foul cause the refs didn't call it the right way. Also I am wondering about the call when the Bishop Ready guy shoved Jenkins out on the baseline and there was no foul called. I kinda had a bad angle but it sure looked like he was pushed out. I think Ready played a good game. Did what they needed to do to win. I think the Pirates playe their worst game though. I know I will get a bunch of crap for sayign that and saying this is excuses for being beat but if you have ever watched more than maybe two Burg games this year you will know they didn't looked like the team who was 23-2. I am also questioning Coach Barrick's plan to play the half court game. i don't think it worked to our players favor. I thought we would get out and run after rebound and get transition baskets but he elected to slow the game down. I thought that was odd. All in all Congrats to Ready on the win and hats off to the seniors from Burg. You guys have nothing to hold you heads down about.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

sportsfanatic3 wrote:Take it from an outsider looking in, it was not an intentional foul. That's coming from the most unbiased person at that game.

For everyone who says it is, you're crazy. That was the smartest foul I've seen in such a long time. Explain to the difference if Bishop Ready is down, and makes that exact same foul? The "form" for of the foul is the exact same as when a team is down, they run at them and have to make some type of contact to get the foul call. However, in this instance, Ready was up and didn't want to give up the wide open layup to tie the game up and probably send it to overtime. Thinking that it was intentional only because Ready was winning at the time is a double standard. That type of foul is done time after time after time in nearly every game where a team is down 2-10 points. So you're telling me that if a team is up they can't do the same?

Bishop Ready knew they had a couple fouls to give, and their coach made sure he informed them of that.

Bishop Ready was a very very very coached team, and I applaud the play at the end. Yes, I hate to see Wheelersburg go out because they are a local SOC team. But the foul was the correct play, and the correct call was made. Period.

That type of foul is not done at the end of every game. I know what you mean as far as if a team is behind then of course the team behind is "intentionally" fouling to stop the clock and try to get the ball back. But this was different. This was on a wide open breakaway layup where a player was grabbed from behind with no attempt at the ball whatsoever. I do believe that is what the rule is for, to stop that from happening.

I don't care what you say or anyone else says, Drew had the man beat and was behind him on the way to the basket for an easy layup when the boy reached out and grabbed him, from behind, without ever trying to go for the ball. He grabbed him around the waist with both hands to keep him from scoring the basket and it should have been intentional, no if's, and's, or but' s about it. I have seen this same exact foul called intentional a few times before in the same situation. Whether Ready was winning or losing, if you grab a person from behind without going for the ball and they have a clear run out to the basket, that is an intentional foul.

Was it a smart foul? It ended up being so for Ready because the officials didn't have the stones to make the right call. It actually was probably the dumbest thing the kid could have done in that situation. If it would have been called correctly it would have put Drew, who rarely misses free throws, at the line to shoot two for a chance to tie the game and then given the Burg a chance to win it with 4.4 seconds left by getting the ball back.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Bottom line is intentional or not, it was not called. Ready moves on and Burg does not. Everyone can speculate all they want, but the fact is the referee did not call it intentional so it was not intentional.

There were many other factors to this game other than a single foul. For instance as someone pointed out, if Ready makes their free throws late in the game the last few seconds does not matter. If Burg has a better 2nd quarter and scores close to their normal quarter average maybe they extend their lead to double digits by the half and it becomes a completely different ball game.

Listening to WNXT they had both Ready and Burg dead even on the rebounding (8 O and 17 D). Not sure but sounded to me like turnovers may have been the difference in this one.

gunit
Freshman Team

Post by gunit »

So every foul at the end of a game when a team is behind and trying to foul is an intentional foul........

I have seen many cases where teams are fouling to put the teams in the bonus or send them to the line where they do not attempt to get the ball and it is not called intentional.

thenino
Freshman Team

Post by thenino »

burgfan2 wrote:Also I am wondering about the call when the Bishop Ready guy shoved Jenkins out on the baseline and there was no foul called. I kinda had a bad angle but it sure looked like he was pushed out.

I was sitting on the Bishop Ready sideline and Jenkins did not appear to be pushed out.. thats just what I saw. CBR played good defense and caused Jenkins to go out of bounds. I could see where you would think that though if you were on the opposing sideline.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
FalconFan wrote:It wouldn't have been a game had Ready made free throws.

Quit trying to act so innocent. Everybody here, including you, knows why you posted that.
You are a great sport ( :roll: ) and an embarrassment to Minford fans.

Thanks.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

There are sore winners and sore losers and you my friend may be both...double negatives aren't right :evil:

sportsnut614
Waterboy

Post by sportsnut614 »

perhaps the officials saw what burg got away with in the district tourney and let
it go. What is that awful smell? Sour grapes?

burgfan2
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2 »

Wow sportsnut, I knew someone was gonna say something about it being an excuse. We are not making an excuse bottom line Ready did what they needed to do to win. However were you at the game? Cause if you saw that it would any other time be called and intentional. As soon as he grabbed him I was laughing cause I thought how stupid now Drew gets two shots and we get the ball then he never called it. That was a horrible call by the ref and I hope he knows he made a bad call. I know its hard to make any type of call as a ref especially in a gam like last night but you have to make that call. That essentially, at that point in time, cost Wheelersburg the game.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

After watching Ready vs. Madison Plains, I thought this would be a tough test for the Pirates. The Knights play unselfish basketball, and make the opponent work very hard on defense. This was the case last night. I was impressed at how Ready worked their offense, but at the same time I felt that Wheelersburg was playing some stiff D. They were making the Knights really work for their points.

But the one flaw in the Pirates defense was not guarding the perimeter better, especially Ryan Clark of BR. If the Burg had done a better job of defending the arc, they would be moving on to the regional final.

Ready showed the mettle of a good basketball team by coming back from a 43-37 deficit with just about 3 minutes left....Dustin Cook hitting 2 big threes to give the Burg that lead........but BR's free throw shooting kept the Pirates in the game until the final buzzer.

Wheelersburg has had a tremendous run the last several years......3 straight district titles, 2 Final Fours, SOC championships, and many teams that have been on the short end of the score......including my Trojans. I have said for quite a while now that boys basketball has been the Burg's best sport over the last 30 years......at a school which has the best sports program in SE Ohio. I know it's tough for Pirate fans to watch them lose a heartbreaker in the regional, but there's a lot of schools that would love to have that much success for such a long time.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

thanks for the kind words dave.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

The Riepo Man wrote:There are sore winners and sore losers and you my friend may be both...double negatives aren't right :evil:

I was just saying that if Ready would have hit their free-throws then Burg would have been down by about 7 at the end of the game. Then, they wouldn't have had a chance to tie or win the game. But, they got the chance to win or tie and they didn't capitalize.

burgfan2
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2 »

And if Burg would have shot their normal percentage fromt he field I would say the Pirates would have won going away but they didn and neither did Ready on the free throws. Thats why you play the game til the final buzzer.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

The Riepo Man wrote:Yeah if minford was playin Ready it would have been a shutout...literally :twisted:

He can't sleep now track, softball, and baseball seasons are starting and the BURG is pegged to win alot in those too :122245

I would probably agree with that statement but, I think that Minfords baseball team will beat Wheelersburg.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

FalconFan wrote:
The Riepo Man wrote:Yeah if minford was playin Ready it would have been a shutout...literally :twisted:

He can't sleep now track, softball, and baseball seasons are starting and the BURG is pegged to win alot in those too :122245

I would probably agree with that statement but, I think that Minfords baseball team will beat Wheelersburg.

Dream on Skippy!! lol

Return to “Boys Basketball”