Waterford

mc40
Waterboy

Waterford

Post by mc40 »

I have to say from what I have saw and read this Waterford team this year was good and really deserves alot of credit and I didn't like that in the MARIETTTA TIMES the cats were SKINNED.. no they weren't they lost to a team that recruits and I have to say CONGRATS CATS

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Re: Waterford

Post by throwitdown »

mc40 wrote:I have to say from what I have saw and read this Waterford team this year was good and really deserves alot of credit and I didn't like that in the MARIETTTA TIMES the cats were SKINNED.. no they weren't they lost to a team that recruits and I have to say CONGRATS CATS

I completely agree with you. I dont think that waterford deserved a headline like that after the kind of season and tournament run they put together. They played a very competitive ballgame and lost by 12 points to a team that is a private school and recruits. The team they lost to lives, eats, drinks, sleeps and breathes basketball all year round. The cats have nothing to hang their heads about as they lost to a team that could very well win state. I thought that was a rediculous, and very uneccessary headline by the times. Because that couldn't have been further from the truth.

RANDOMGUY
Riding the Bench

Post by RANDOMGUY »

In order to be a great team you must "live, eat, sleep, and breathe" basketball all year round. That was the only difference in that game. COMMITMENT!

Hopefully all of the younger players that saw that game realize that. To many kids in Southeastern Ohio want to just show up in November and win, and then complain about a team that commits all year round. That is why the TVC Hocking and Ohio schools do nothing in the tourney, Congrats to VC and Waterford on good runs. Other than those talent laden teams who else did anything?

All but 1 of Worthington Christian's players have been there since 2nd grade, I read this on the other site. The 1 transfer was a freshman that never saw the floor.

Although the Marietta Times is a liberal propaganda machine, Waterford did get SKINNED!

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

RANDOMGUY wrote:In order to be a great team you must "live, eat, sleep, and breathe" basketball all year round. That was the only difference in that game. COMMITMENT!

Hopefully all of the younger players that saw that game realize that. To many kids in Southeastern Ohio want to just show up in November and win, and then complain about a team that commits all year round. That is why the TVC Hocking and Ohio schools do nothing in the tourney, Congrats to VC and Waterford on good runs. Other than those talent laden teams who else did anything?

All but 1 of Worthington Christian's players have been there since 2nd grade, I read this on the other site. The 1 transfer was a freshman that never saw the floor.

Although the Marietta Times is a liberal propaganda machine, Waterford did get SKINNED!

I never said anything was wrong with Worthington Christian eating, sleeping, breathing, basketball. Good for them. That's what it takes to be a truely great team. All I'm saying is that we don't have anything to be upset about with the way we played them. Almost our entire team played on the 9-1 football team, so they couldnt just be totally committed to basketball. As much as maybe it hurt losing time away from basketball being on the gridiron, I believe it helped in a way too because they learned what being on a great team feels like and gained confidence that they carried on to the basketball floor. For instance, Lang, Strahler, and Tornes were all league players in football. And Hoge was tvc player of year and district player of year and has colleges recruiting him. Those four players were our most four productive players on offense in football as well as basketball aside from Cunningham. And waterford didnt get skinned. Most people lose to WC by 40. Like Africentric who was ranked high in the state.Now Vinton County got skinned!!

RANDOMGUY
Riding the Bench

Post by RANDOMGUY »

Waterford played good, and had a great run. In the end they were completly outmatched by a more commited team.

The game could have easily been 20 -30. Garbage time was good for Waterford.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

So, What your saying is that the players of Waterford should have given up playing football this year so they could win the regional in basketball? As a baseball coach, I need the kids to just play baseball, and the football coach needs them to just play football, and track needs them to just run track! What school in Southeast Ohio has enough athletes to make this work. I asked my team how many of them just play baseball. That would be two. Unless you are a possible D I player in a sport, why not enjoy your years in high school and play as many sports as you want. Too many athletes in our area are simply losing out a wonderful experience so their coaches can win a few more games each year. We've lost our way.

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

RANDOMGUY wrote:Waterford played good, and had a great run. In the end they were completly outmatched by a more commited team.

The game could have easily been 20 -30. Garbage time was good for Waterford.

Yes waterford did play good, but they had to play great to beat that team. They needed more out of hendershot or tornes and they got a combined 3 pts so if they show up its a real tight ball game or if wc doesnt shoot 50% from downtown. But those are all what if's. Waterford is a very good team, Worthington Christian is a great team. The better team won.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Bulldog64 wrote:So, What your saying is that the players of Waterford should have given up playing football this year so they could win the regional in basketball? As a baseball coach, I need the kids to just play baseball, and the football coach needs them to just play football, and track needs them to just run track! What school in Southeast Ohio has enough athletes to make this work. I asked my team how many of them just play baseball. That would be two. Unless you are a possible D I player in a sport, why not enjoy your years in high school and play as many sports as you want. Too many athletes in our area are simply losing out a wonderful experience so their coaches can win a few more games each year. We've lost our way.

I agree Bulldog64. Sad, but indeed many selfish coaches have lost their way...

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

G W McLintock wrote:
Bulldog64 wrote:So, What your saying is that the players of Waterford should have given up playing football this year so they could win the regional in basketball? As a baseball coach, I need the kids to just play baseball, and the football coach needs them to just play football, and track needs them to just run track! What school in Southeast Ohio has enough athletes to make this work. I asked my team how many of them just play baseball. That would be two. Unless you are a possible D I player in a sport, why not enjoy your years in high school and play as many sports as you want. Too many athletes in our area are simply losing out a wonderful experience so their coaches can win a few more games each year. We've lost our way.

I agree Bulldog64. Sad, but indeed many selfish coaches have lost their way...

I echo this sentiment, and preach it regularly.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Since I've not coached for quite awhile, I was hoping that some of those who do coach, would speak up. You certainly did not disappoint me with your comments.
BDG64, GW, and DD1, I agree.

I'm sure you are all thinking, big surprise! LOL!

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

I'm really sad to see this season end though because the boys were finally playing to their potential and gelling as a team. It took forever for this team to play the way they are capable and finally find there identity, but they did and they did it just at the right time. It was a good run.

bleacherballer
Waterboy

Post by bleacherballer »

The thing that it all boiled down to in the WC game is that the four guys(coaches) on the bench did not have an answer for the coaches from WC. It dont take a genious to take the big kid off the floor when picks up his second foul in the second quarter! Anyone could see that he picked up his third and had to sit down WC had the WHOLE floor to work with.The (four) just don't have the instinct it takes!!!I believe the kids did more to pull themselves together at the end than any coaching had to with it.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

bleacherballer wrote:The thing that it all boiled down to in the WC game is that the four guys(coaches) on the bench did not have an answer for the coaches from WC. It dont take a genious to take the big kid off the floor when picks up his second foul in the second quarter! Anyone could see that he picked up his third and had to sit down WC had the WHOLE floor to work with.The (four) just don't have the instinct it takes!!!I believe the kids did more to pull themselves together at the end than any coaching had to with it.

Cunningham sat at the end of the 1st quarter and the tide of the game completely changed (WC scored eight straight to take a 5-point lead in the last minute). So do you play without him because you're afraid he's going to get another foul or do you play without him because he has the foul? In retrospect, it would've been better to leave him in to finish the quarter. They had already learned that, so when he picked up his second foul, they needed him on the court.

RANDOMGUY
Riding the Bench

Post by RANDOMGUY »

Kids should enjoy their High School Days.

The real problem lies in the fact that every caoch in every sport is trying to build a program with 3 sport players. ( numbers control this)

As trowitdown has mentioned half of Waterford's team played football. Ok that is fine and I bet they do not regret it, but from a coaching standpoint it is very hard to build a program that way.

The real idiots are the ones whom get on here and complain about coaches who took thier team and got the most out of them. Waterford had about a .01% chance of winning that game. WC shoots that well every night, just ask Oak Hill. They also have 1 sport players that are commited to the program.

Jack of all trades = Master of none.

Kids should not give up all of thier sports, but I am absolutley positive that they have free time that could be used for dribbling in the street, shooting out back, throwing a football thru a tire, or wieghtlifting and conditioning. The desire to be the best is where it starts, it is hard to coach lack of desire.

And lets face it, if you don't have many players, how much off season work does a mediocre kid have to do to play? Potential is given, greatness is earned.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

throwitdown wrote:
RANDOMGUY wrote:In order to be a great team you must "live, eat, sleep, and breathe" basketball all year round. That was the only difference in that game. COMMITMENT!

I never said anything was wrong with Worthington Christian eating, sleeping, breathing, basketball. Good for them. That's what it takes to be a truely great team. All I'm saying is that we don't have anything to be upset about with the way we played them. Almost our entire team played on the 9-1 football team, so they couldnt just be totally committed to basketball. As much as maybe it hurt losing time away from basketball being on the gridiron, I believe it helped in a way too because they learned what being on a great team feels like and gained confidence that they carried on to the basketball floor. For instance, Lang, Strahler, and Tornes were all league players in football. And Hoge was tvc player of year and district player of year and has colleges recruiting him. Those four players were our most four productive players on offense in football as well as basketball aside from Cunningham. And waterford didnt get skinned. Most people lose to WC by 40. Like Africentric who was ranked high in the state.Now Vinton County got skinned!!

I would say VC got scalped instead of skinned :lol:

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

I would pay to see a worthington christian-chillicothe matchup.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

throwitdown wrote:I would pay to see a worthington christian-chillicothe matchup.

Chilli would destroy WC :!:

bleacherballer
Waterboy

Post by bleacherballer »

Random Guy I am sick of listening to ignorant self! From what i seen you think that you know everything about everysport and i am sick of listening to it, and i am sure that other posters are also sick of listenig to it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think in this situation you might want to change your user name to
*educated-ediot* for all of the right reasons!!!!

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

bleacherballer wrote:Random Guy I am sick of listening to ignorant self! From what i seen you think that you know everything about everysport and i am sick of listening to it, and i am sure that other posters are also sick of listenig to it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think in this situation you might want to change your user name to
*educated-ediot* for all of the right reasons!!!!

What was it about random guy's post that sent you off?

Randomguy - I actually agree with most of what you said, especially in your last post. It isn't deragatory to say that someone put in more time - we all have priorities. And when all else is equal, the person who works the hardest typically comes out on top.

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:
throwitdown wrote:I would pay to see a worthington christian-chillicothe matchup.

Chilli would destroy WC :!:

I doubt anybody would destroy WC. Well maybe the Lakers. Are you saying that because you're from Vinton County? Chilli is real solid no doubt, but VC just played a terrible game that night. If they played a good ball game, and hit their shots it would be a 10-20 pt game. Chilli would not destroy WC.

Return to “Boys Basketball”