Gary Kellough

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Gary Kellough

Post by trojandave »

Kellough won a lot of games at Zane Trace even though his teams couldn't make it out of the districts........but you can't win a state championship without good coaching, and he instilled in his kids the burning desire to play defense, which is maybe the toughest thing for a coach to do these days. And I really don't think he overcoached.....he knew he had a lot of talent, and for the most part didn't restrict their talents.

I am familiar with Tom Cuppett......from I believe 1970-1981 he consistently produced winning teams at Chillicothe High School. I believe the mark of a great coach is to win over a long period of time, because your talent levels are not the same every year, even though the Cavaliers were rarely short of good basketball players during his era. Cuppett not winning a state title doesn't diminish what he accomplished.....IT'S TOUGH TO WIN A STATE TITLE, NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE!!

Kellough has had a very good career, and now that he has a state title, he has done something that no Chillicothe coach has done before......bring home the BIG trophy. Even if he never wins another game for CHS, he will always be remembered for that chapter of Cavalier basketball history. And I'm quite sure that the fans of CHS will be forever grateful that he came down Rt.159 to Yoctangee Parkway.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^

trojandave,

Totally off the topic of Ross County coaches (OR Prep can probably chime in to), but Portsmouth had a pretty good player and a good coach in the Dayton City leagues that I am pretty familiar with. Not sure it went well when he went back to P-Town to coach. I know you are familiar with Mike Haley. I followed him with the Dunbar teams in the early to mid 80's. I also believe he won the State with Dayton Roth (Keith Byars played on that team), right when the closed the school down.

With two state titles (if I am correct) and a less then stellar record at Portsmouth, what is the feeling about Coach Haley down on the river.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!!

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Brutally: I agree if that one player is not there we don't win it or even have this conversation. However like I said in my earlier post. Chambers would not even be in Chilly if it was not for Coach K.

Hitch: Great question- can't wait to here from Trojan Dave on this. Also Coach Sub acomplished alot in a short time in P-Town The state title in 88. what is his status and the feeling about him aswell as Mike Haley. I know how Roth/Dunbar fans feel about him. He is a Legend!in Dayton

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

OR, Hitchbone... I believe Coach Haley hoisted 4 of the Big Trophies during his time in Dayton. Roth in '76, '81, and '82. And, Dunbar in 87. Don't forget, he was also runner-up to a great Canton McKinley team in '84!! A guy with southern Ohio roots (Portsmouth), that was able to build a dynasty on the west side of Dayton... man did he have some athletes, or what?!?!?! Ahh, to reminisce... will someday do a bunch of it about this Cavs team!!! :):)

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

People in Portsmouth even today revere Joe Suboticki and what he did with the Trojans during his short 4 year tenure. He was 94-11 with 1 state title, 1 state runnerup, 4 district titles, 1 Elite 8 appearance, and 4 OKAC titles. Because of some circumstances which I will not get into on this forum, Suboticki was not renewed after the 1991 season. And thus ended the winningest reign of any coach in the history of PHS.

Mike Haley had a simple philosophy at Dayton........press, run, and press and run more. He had some great athletic teams at Roth and Dunbar, and he did not overcoach them......similar to what Kellough has done at Chillicothe. Haley produced 4 state champions during his time there, and his teams were fun to watch.

Unfortunately when Haley took the Portsmouth job in 1993, the talent level at Portsmouth had waned. The Trojans' incredible run from 1978-1991 had produced a record of 283-60 with 2 state titles, 2 state runnerups, 8 district titles, 4 regional titles, and 1 regional runnerup. But those days weren't going to last forever......and Coach Haley compiled a 34-30 record in 3 years. But he did lead the Trojans to a 1994 district title, beating Greenfield McClain for the district championship. I got to know Mike pretty well, and he was always friendly toward me, and I really enjoyed talking to him.

When he was hired, myself and a lot of people in Portsmouth were excited to have him back coaching the Trojans. But we probably expected too much, and his time didn't turn out like we hoped.

What some people may not realize is that Paul Walker, legendary coach of the Middletown dynasty of the 1950's, started his coaching career at Portsmouth High School in 1945 with a record of 12-11. There was a dispute of some sort and Walker ended up leaving town and headed for Middletown.....and look what happened.

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

I don't think you have to win state to be called a great coach. Kellough is a good coach but most would argue being the best in Ross Co. The talent he had @ ZT was not even close to what CHS had this year, and ZT never made it out of the districts.

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

People on here like buttally honest can write ignorant statements like " I don't think kellough is all that special" or "he didn't know what he was doing at the end of the game."

Here are your answers.

Special: 350 plus wins and a State Title. I'm trying to find someone in Ross County or anyone around this area that has a Boys Basketball State Title. Beside Coach K , I am still looking and so are you.....

End of Game: Watch the replay buttally honest. You can see the clip board on how he wants his team to finish the game.

Humpty plays and talks on emotion. The best thing about him ( besides being the best player in ross county ever ) is that with 5 seconds left on the clock in the state championship game he said give me the ball and we are going to win.

So many players would shy away from that point. Great call by Coach K to call the timeout when Humpty was taking the ball out of bounds. The last 5 secs was perfectly executed by great players that listened to their coach.

State Champions!

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

You can disagree with whatever I post however much you want, but calling me ignorant? Have a little class. I will stand by my statement that Kellough is not that special of a coach. To this region, maybe, but I am not from here so maybe that's why I don't appreciate him that much. That's also why I don't need the answers you are giving. I don't really care what coaches around here have state titles or what their records are. You all say he was drawing up plays and yes I did see that but his star player said he was confused. Both can't happen at once for them to win the game. I also have said it's a great thing Chillicothe has done and am no way trying to hate on them. I say one thing someone doesn't like and get called ignorant. For the record, Baller3, my username is brutally honest not buttally honest.

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

You're right brutally honest. Its hard to show class on my end when I see classless statements on your part.

Bottom Line: It really doesn't matter what we think. This Chillicothe team will go down as one of the best ever in SE ohio and it was led by Coach K.

State Champion Coach K & the Chillicothe Cavs!

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

Please feel free to tell me how I am being classless I don't know how many times I have said Chillicothe's accomplishments are great. I never even said he was a bad coach but I do not believe he is that special. I think if Stiverson from Logan Elm would have come and still had Humpty and Ray transferred they still would have won the title. That's more of the way I mean it than a personal attack on him.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Lamont Cranston wrote:OR, Hitchbone... I believe Coach Haley hoisted 4 of the Big Trophies during his time in Dayton. Roth in '76, '81, and '82. And, Dunbar in 87. Don't forget, he was also runner-up to a great Canton McKinley team in '84!! A guy with southern Ohio roots (Portsmouth), that was able to build a dynasty on the west side of Dayton... man did he have some athletes, or what?!?!?! Ahh, to reminisce... will someday do a bunch of it about this Cavs team!!! :):)

Lamont,

You one upped me there. I totally forgot about the other Roth teams. I believe one of the former UD Flyers, suited up for Haley (not sure if he won with the 81 squad or not) and played with the Flyer great Roosevelt Chapman. His name slips by me (Paul Hawkins?), but he ended up spending time down here in Chilly at the recording studio. The talent over in Dayton was overwhelming. I used to play with some of the guys from the city including Dwight Anderson and Ron Harper.

Haley had some great talent on that 87 squad. His son Mike, Jr. Mark Baker (OSU), Kirk Taylor (Michigan) and a few other D1 signees.

That Canton Team won their first one in 84 with Gary Grant who then came back as a freshman for Michigan and laid a big goose egg against eventual National Champ Villinova. How do you rank the prior Canton coaches who could not get it done. Have to give them big props.

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Hitch: I am sure that the former Mckinley coach Dave Cady was well liked for his acomplishments at the school. However I can tell you that the most resent head coach Dave Hover is a legend. Why? He won Back to Back State titles.

Like I said earlier there are allot of great coaches out there. However the ones that have won it all are in a league of there own in the eyes of there community.

O.R prep out.

We need to get Paul Gibson on this site if were going to get into great B-ball from the northeast.

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Hitchbone, glad to be of help. :) Mark Baker is still a local "fixture" in the communities of south Dayton. "Little" Lamont and I see him at a local YMCA frequently providing individual instruction on the hardcourt to local youths. He does not know me from "Adam", but always takes the time to stop, say hi, shake a hand, and is very courteous to me and my son. And, let me tell 'ya, from the looks of him in the pick-up games there, he can still get it done. His Jr. year and that '87 team for Dunbar was the MOST hi-octane high school offense I have ever witnessed... it was a monumental upset for them to go down so early in the tournament his Sr. year. Again, old "codgers" like us will be talking about this year's Cavs team like this 20 years from now. Go Cavs!!!

cat1606
Riding the Bench

Post by cat1606 »

i would have to say larry jordan is the best coach in ross county, he wins a lot of games with less talent a lot of the time.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Lamont Cranston wrote:Hitchbone, glad to be of help. :) Mark Baker is still a local "fixture" in the communities of south Dayton. "Little" Lamont and I see him at a local YMCA frequently providing individual instruction on the hardcourt to local youths. He does not know me from "Adam", but always takes the time to stop, say hi, shake a hand, and is very courteous to me and my son. And, let me tell 'ya, from the looks of him in the pick-up games there, he can still get it done. His Jr. year and that '87 team for Dunbar was the MOST hi-octane high school offense I have ever witnessed... it was a monumental upset for them to go down so early in the tournament his Sr. year. Again, old "codgers" like us will be talking about this year's Cavs team like this 20 years from now. Go Cavs!!!

lamont,

I remember vividly watching Dunbar taking down Treg Lee (OSU) and the big kid from St. Joes that went to Michigan. Mark was a sparkplug. I am not sure I ever saw a kid with hoops like his. I watched him litteraly jump over a kid and dunk on him during a sectional game at UD Arena. They beat the time by about 60. The sad thing is Baker leap frogged the kid, the kid feel down faking a charge and the ref added insult to injury by calling a blocking foul. Glad to see Baker is still giving back in the GEM city.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMP!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth beat Dunbar in 1987 at PHS 62-61 in one of the greatest games ever at "old" PHS gym. Kirk Taylor, who went to Michigan, had 2 free throws with 1 second remaining to win the game, and missed both of them......we got the rebound, and the game was over. Dunbar of couse won the AAA state title that year, and Portsmouth lost to then undefeated New Lebanon Dixie 67-59 in the AA regional semifinal at UD Arena.

That Dunbar team was LOADED with talent. I remember that they ended up ranked in the top 25 of the USA Today rankings.

In 1991, Coach Haley evened the score against his alma mater when he brought his Wolverines to Portsmouth and beat the Trojans 96-93 in 2 OT.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

O.R. Prep, did you just drop my man Paul Gibsons name on here? lol i love that dude.!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Dshanton3 wrote:O.R. Prep, did you just drop my man Paul Gibsons name on here? lol i love that dude.!

d3,

where do you think O.R. Prep got all that knowledge. Gibson is a walking Dictionary.

O.R.: By the way I agree with you on Hoover being a living legend in Canton. Then again, he probably still is in Westerville. Still leaves the debate as to what a State Championship does for you. I will say this, it goes a long way towards "Basketball Sainthood".

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

The two coaches mentioned above have not made it to the state semi-finals let alone won the state championship.

Bottom line: All of these coaches mentioned on this thread are Very good coaches and I think with Coach K's State Title it just made his resume very, very good.

What people don't know is that these older coaches in southern ohio stick together and help each other out. They are friends and I'm sure not many of them care what we are writing on these internet forums. They are old school when it comes to teaching the game of basketball and All of them are special in their own way...

Return to “Boys Basketball”