SEOAL 2008-2009

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Re: SEOAL 2008-2009

Post by Hitchbone64 »

If Dante and North, along with Netter possible coming back, there could be tremendous depth in Cavalier country. Success breds more success as others want to participate while those present have to step up their game.

Just looking at the rosters from last year (Frosh to Varisity) and throwing out some key names (not all listed), gives me great hope and expectations over the next 2-3 years.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!!

Seniors to be:
Seth Dawes
Caleb Knights
Jordan Benson
Ronnie Smith
Greg Volkinburg
James VanVoorhis
Eric Young
Scott North (if he comes back)

Juniors to be:
Mike Turner
Donte Thompson (if he comes back)
Shey Netter (if he comes back)
Nick Jenkins

Sophmores to be:
Jalen Ragland
Isaac Beverly
Cameron Lowe
Brandon Beverly
Tyler Manion
Max Corcoran
Luke Ramsey
Brook Lynch

Freshman to be:

Malik London (6'7")
Last edited by Hitchbone64 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

hitch...scott north is only a soph this year? i thought he was a junior. i trust you more than myself here but just verifying that is correct?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^

D3,

I think I did lose a year. You are correct. I was reviewing the 05/06 team in my mind. I edited above. With that said, our upcoming Junior class is not real deep. The young sophmores to be may be getting some PT. It will be interesting how the summer plays out with them (progression, amount of work etc.). Will will be senior dominated, but my guess is the youth will be worked in (if they are willing to work).

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

hitch, i thought i was but i never like to call out the wise elders on here unless i'm sure haha.

IMO its a huge deal for Chilly to get North and Dante on the court because next year we will be as deep as any team in SE ohio in the frontcourt with Smith, Dawes, Benson, London, but backcourt depth is something we really need. those two would see alot of minutes backing up Knights and Turner. in addition to allowing us to have fresh bodies to keep up the trapping/pressing style that has worked so well for us.

bluedevilpride
Riding the Bench

Post by bluedevilpride »

Zanesville will be a tough team again this year as they and Chilli have both developed [b]PROGRAMS[b] and I can see Portsmouth trying to get back to that point.
With the losses of Aronhalt, A. Harris, C. Harris, and S. Centers Zanesville will have to have some kids grow up quickly if they are to reach a dominant level next season. Joey Prati should be a force inside with some extensive time in the weight room. Brandon Mills is small in stature but could be a league leader in scoring this year with his dead eye shooting. I see the point being ran by Kurt Young this year as he is more a "true" PG than Goins. Marcus will possibly start at the 3 or get considerable run as a super 6th man. If Zanesville can get Allen Harris and Raheem Forhman to work on fundamentals and really hit the weight room they could be forces next season. Either way it shakes out good luck Blue Devils.

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

From a good source i hear Andre Harris is going to Wheeling Jesuit to be with cousin Cedric Harris .Wheeling got a deal is all i can say .Good Luck Harris's

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

From what I see of who's returning in the SEOAL for 2008-09, I think Portsmouth's backcourt of Andrew Bendolph and Forrest Johnson will be the best in the league. Not only did they get valuable experience as a freshman and sophomore, but they improved considerably as the season progressed........so much so that Andrew received Honorable Mention All-State honors, while Forrest was Honorable Mention All-District. In addition, Andrew made the All-SEOAL team along with Nate Cadogen, who also will be returning.

Having a good backcourt is critical to any high school team's chances of having a very good season. Look at what it did for Chillicothe.....a state title, and Zanesville.......SEOAL champion, and district runnerup to the eventual state champion.

Portsmouth's frontcourt will also be formidable with Cadogen, Anthony Williams, Corey Allison, Zack Link, and Jacob Stevens rounding out that group. They should be able to hold their own against anybody the Trojans play. And they also gained a valuable year of experience. Playing the likes of Chillicothe and Zanesville no question helped them.....even though they came out on the short end of the scoreboard by a wide margin.

As of this post, Bendolph, Johnson, and Williams are doing heavy duty in AAU basketball.........which will further hone their skills.

Portsmouth will have what any coach could hope for.......good guards, size and scoring punch up front, and some capable kids coming off the bench.

The BIG question for the Trojans will be.........will they play up to their capabilities, especially on the defensive end? If they do, there's no question that they can win the SEOAL.......defense is what separated Chillicothe and Zanesville from everyone else in the league the last 2 years.........and Portsmouth has the capability to get to that level.

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

My estimated order of finish has the league turning out like this...
South

CHILLICOTHE
PORTSMOUTH
IRONTON
GAHS
JACKSON

North
ZANESVILLE
MARIETTA
LOGAN
WARREN

A rematch of the title game would not be surprising, nor would seeing Portsmouth in the championship game. I'm going to say Chillicothe wins this year though. Portsmouth in the 2010 campaign.
An unfortunate outlook for my Warren Warriors, but its going to be a tough road in the North this year. Keep working boys, I believe you can beat all of these teams.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

TT: Can't disagree with your assessment of the South. Chilli has a lot of proven players returning. Not sure how the bottom three will pan out, but Chilli and Portsmouth should be the top two. Can't not disagree with your assessment of the North. Zanesville will move right back into the pack this year. Logan may take the North as they return the core of a team that knocked-of Warren this year and played Zanesville closer than anyone in the league except Chilli. Marietta still has a way to go. Tabler and Arnold return but I'm not sure that they have a ton of options after that. Ahh, then there are "your" beloved Warriors. Could you be assuming that because the returners didn't get a lot of varsity minutes last year the team won't be competitive? That would be a silly assumption. Warren will be very strong next season as well. With the exception of a few players here-and-there the players that are moving up have played and beaten everyone that they will face next season. Warren doesn't have a lot of Seniors, but that won't stop this group from winning. Based on what I have observed I'll have to say that Logan is the early favorite by a razor thin margin, then the next 3 spots will be a dog-fight.

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

wwfan,
I totally agree that there is no clear cut favorite in the north.
I should have said that I believe any of the four teams could come out on top. WARREN can beat anyone in this division, but I believe they might see more splits than sweeps next year. You say that Marietta (outside of tabler and arnold) is weak, and while that may be true, there's no guaruntee Warren wins both of those games, especially at Marietta. The good news is that Logan will come to Warren first next year, and we know Coach Maddux always has his players prepared in early December when some teams are still adjusting from football season. Still, I think best case scenario is a split with Logan.

We've seen this group of players beat Zanesville at the JV level. However, I don't know if Warren can stop Prati on the inside. I do have faith that Brandon Mills will not be the league leader in points this year as stated ealier. Warren has seen players like this in bunches (Arnold, kid from Morgan, Lynch, ext.) and they will have no trouble stopping him. Still the defense will be key this season for the blue and white to jump MHS, LOGAN, AND ZANESVILLE.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

It would be nice to see the Portsmouth Trojans return to their days of basketball domination.

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

I think in a month you will get a better idea of how your team will be for next bball season let them get a few shootout's under there belt's .
As for Zanesville it's critical this year as coach Aronhalt need's too see who will step up and fill the void's left by graduating senior's and what a group it was but the devil's will move forward.
Some juniors will have to step up no doubt about that but have confidence they will and see who want's it more.The way it look's now a couple will be starting.
Also i think the non conference scheldule for the devil's will be play a major role in how we do in the league...........

Good Luck Devil's >hit the gym and shoot the rock<

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Was just looking @ june's scheldule and what a busy one.The Devil's open up the month with Coach Aronholt's Camp then two shootout's follow @ Dover and followed by Wheeling with is a great one to go watch .Then there headed to Morgantown for there team camp at WVU which is a great place to go watch some good basketball and you'll probably run into Bob Huggin's who is a very nice guy.Then they will finish the month off with a scrimmage @ Dublin Scioto .

So hopefully no injuries will hamper this busy month and Good Luck Blue Devil's......... :122249

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

Just a little curious as to why Zanesville chose WVU for their team camp this year. Where have they been going the last couple years? Do the players choose their camp or coach aronhalt?

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Zville went to WVU last year also the reason they attend that team camp is Aronhalt is friend's with Huggin's.They also went to Cinn when Huggin's was there.Coach Aronhalt has been around a while and has plenty of connect's and also the respect of every Devil fan and his colleague's................

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

Post by tropicalbreeze »

I think Z-ville will again be the one to beat in the North again. Add in the fact that they had a pretty good reserve team plus Pratti and Mills, then Aronhalt's preparation, I think Z-ville will do just fine. I don't think either Z-ville or Chillicothe will (obviously) have the great teams of last year, but they have to be the fav's again. Isn't there a pretty good Freshman (to be Soph) that sat on the varsity bench last year that might be a factor this year?

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

tropical...soph to be for chilli or zville?

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

Post by tropicalbreeze »

Sorry...I was referring to z-ville.

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Tropicalbreeze: not to my knowledge might have been injured player....

ravens 2
Waterboy

Post by ravens 2 »

I've talked to Shay Netter a few days ago.He told me that he is going out for his junior year of high school.He's been going to open gym and that his ankle is a 100% better.Shay will add some depth to the 08-09 season.He's a very aggresive kid and not afraid of the big kid's,has a nice jumper and is willing to drive for that high percentage shot and on top of that he's a team player.

Return to “Boys Basketball”