South webster going down hill

drrabbit
All State

Re: South webster going down hill

Post by drrabbit »

South Webster will be fine. And although basketball was down in the talent cycle, as a (mostly) SOC II school, the Jeeps are second only to Wheelersburg this school year in total SOC championships. Part of that is that when they do play SOC I level sports, they tend to win championships more years than not (see soccer and track). Waverly, Valley, Northwest and West would all like to have the same number of SOC championships as the Jeeps this year. And they would love to do it year in and year out.

bulkmove
Freshman Team

Post by bulkmove »

These boys will be fine. The new coach has a year under his belt and should be ready to get things rolling for next year. Hopefully the kids work hard to get better. Coach K knew when it would be best to go. Some call him a great coach, but what would have happened if he stayed? Nobdoy can answer that question.

I look for Loop, Malone, and a couple young players to help out next season. It should be a good year.

Championship teams come through so few for basketball since the do compete against the SOC II, unlike some of the other teams in the school (soccer, track). Is it time for South Webster to look into dropping down a division? Just a thought.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I don't recall in my limited knowledge of South Webster basketball of any extended periods of losing seasons. Before they won the state title in 2006, they for most of the time put out a competitive team. Any program's success is determined by a number of factors, but probably the most important is the feeder system........what the underclasses are doing.......and one of the great things about having a good basketball team is that it doesn't take 5 great players........

Our feeder program at Portsmouth has not been stellar in recent years, but under Coach Josh Shoemaker it is looking much stronger, and consequently the Trojans should experience some good teams for the next several years.

I don't look for the Jeeps to be down long if they have some good individual talent coming up......it doesn't take a class full of stars, but a couple of kids here and there can add up to a good varsity team in the near future. I know that at smaller schools like Portsmouth and South Webster that it is much more likely to see freshmen and sophomores starting than you would normally not see at a D1 school.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bulkmove: I hope Webster stays in SOC II. It is a definite advantage come D4 tourney time having played mostly D3 and D2 schools. Even though it probably costs them 4-6 wins a year, I beleive it is worth it come tourney time. Webster would have won alot more SOC championships in the '90s and '00s had they been SOC I, and also beleive they'd had a few more trips to Regionals/State if they had been D4 then.

trojandave: great post. you're right that Webster hasn't had a string of losing seasons in recent memory. They are typically a 10-10 to 13-7 kind of team that wins a game or two in the tourney before getting bounced. So while last year was a down year, I think they'll start seeing some improvement this year.

Based on who's coming back, the schedule, and the overall strength of the SOC II, I see the Jeeps anywhere from 5-15 to 10-10. I think their backcourt should be pretty solid with Scott and Loop. Main question as always will be the frontcourt. Hopefully some good post players are coming up. Overall, probably good enough to get back to the Convo, but still a year away before they can win a District Championship again.*

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

My jeeps will have a good season if they win 5 or more games next season.. 8 and above is a great season looking at the talent and size they are going to be working with.I've heard transfer rumors about Conner Scott to Portsmouth where his dad is principal and The Loops either to Northwest with there Uncle Scar or off to Green potentially, alot of this has to do with coaching from what I have heard and how a few coaches arent going to help in the near future.. I see the Jeeps 6-16 and after next season we could be a possible double digit win season again. Sophomores and Juniors dont win ball games unless they have excellent talent that they are carrying with them and lets face it we dont have that talent with us no longer. I hope these kids realize what they are working with and figure out that if they wanna win ballgames in the near future they are going to have to play as a complete team and work harder on the defensive end everynight than the opponent its difficult to say but from coaching I have seen its not going to happen. Most dominant defensive teams have a coach that is more into the game than others who watch it from the bench and make comments only at halftime and timeouts.South Webster didnt win a state championship by playing just offense they played some of the best defense I have seen in years in High school basketball

canubelieveit
Waterboy

Post by canubelieveit »

lets face it we dont have that talent with us no longer
:122247

Bad quote webstertown and I'm ashamed that you are from Webster! Just down the
players alittle more why don't you......Give them a chance, they may not be the State Championship Team you played on, but you know, they are in high school, enjoying their time, and waiting for the next big step in their lives. I hope they come out and win just as much as the next big Webster fan, but what ever happens-happens!

If Webster has people to transfer-go then, we'll still be playing ball with the ones left or the ones that are new to the team. If you don't like the coach-sorry. We don't have to play for him-the kids do and by all means, they don't have to play for the man either.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

canubelieveit wrote:
lets face it we dont have that talent with us no longer
:122247

players alittle more why don't you......Give them a chance, they may not be the State Championship Team you played on, but you know, they are in high school, enjoying their time, and waiting for the next big step in their lives. I hope they come out and win just as much as the next big Webster fan, but what ever happens-happens!

If Webster has people to transfer-go then, we'll still be playing ball with the ones left or the ones that are new to the team. If you don't like the coach-sorry. We don't have to play for him-the kids do and by all means, they don't have to play for the man either.

couldent agree with you more on this post. how can a "fan" say these things. and true jeeps dont transfer, they stay and fight and do what it takes to win games. i dont see wes loop going anywhere. webster has a hold on people, we just cant leave.....no matter what

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Unless the Scotts moved then he can't transfer even if his dad is principal. He would have to sit out a year. I know, I know, there are ways around it, but I believe it is what ohsaa.org says!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

webstertown: those rumblings have been going around the last two years, but someone whose opinion I trust told me Scott and the Loop brothers will still be at Webster next year. As for the coaches, I assume Brenton Cole is not coming back as an assistant based on your post?

SWbaseballfan: don't know how old you are, but Webster has lost some pretty decent players over the years to transfer, so never say never!

Anybody know anything about Webster's summer schedule? I haven't seen them mentioned for any shootouts/summer leagues anywhere but did hear they recently pulled out of Cedarville's team camp. How about the weightlifting...anybody showing up? I hope the Jeeps get alot more accomplished this summer than last, especially for the younger players they'll be relying on.*

canubelieveit
Waterboy

Post by canubelieveit »

Art.....Weightlifting has began and most are showing up with the exception of a few still playing baseball or on vacation. I have heard they have several team camps and shootouts at Wittenburg, Mt. Vernon, and Rio.
Reese is including the JV also-lets get the younger players ready to compete.

GO JEEPS!!!

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

What state championship team did i play for? The team I played for won about the same amount of games this years team did all four years! and what does I hope they come out and win just as much as the next big webster fan? Doesnt really make much since??? Saying the talent isnt there is a fact! Yes we have some talent but not the talent we have had in the last 10 years or so. So how is this a horrible quote? A horrible quote would be South Webster has more talent then the 2008 Lakers!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

FalconFan wrote:I think that they are just coming off a bad season and could possibly have a few tough years ahead. At least they won a state championship a couple years ago...

yep and no one can take that away from them kids

GoCats
Riding the Bench

Post by GoCats »

How is south webster doing now that june is almost over jeep fans???

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Post by basketballparent »

The boys are doing lift and shoots 3x per week. The varsity is also participating in the Jackson Wednesday league. Friday the JV is going to Mount Vernon for a shootout and the Varsity goes Saturday. They are all working very hard right now.

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Post by basketballparent »

JV got back late yesterday evening. They WON all 4 of their games. From what I understand they all played very well. 3 Sophomores went and 5 freshmen. Varsity left early this morning and I hope they have the same luck.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

basketballparent: thanks for the updates. Sounds like we have some young talent coming up again through the pipeline. Who are some of the standouts on jv for this year? If they keep playing that good, some of them will probably be getting some varsity minutes this year I'd presume.

As for this year, I still predict another rough season for the Jeeps (5-15 to 9-11) and then the following year they should be back to above .500 and competing for a District Championship (provided they are still in D4).

Also, anybody know who'll be on Coach Reese's staff this year? I hear Brenton Cole has decided not to return next year (unfortunate as Brenton has been around the team for the last few years and did a great job from everything I saw and heard).*

bigbird
Waterboy

Post by bigbird »

hate that coach cole has decided not to return, im sure the kids will miss him.

jeeptrio
Waterboy

Post by jeeptrio »

Regulator wrote:Coach K knew when to get out. He knew he was going to struggle this past year and the next couple of years. Ladies and Gents, let's be honest, to have the type of team SW had two-three years ago only comes around this area once in a blue moon. Yes, Coach K was terrific coach, but even he knew this.

Coaches have a hard time with this reality. They have such a successful run and then the rug is pulled out from under them. Look at Billy Donovan at Florida. He is constantly comparing his team now to the team he had last year and the year before. In this day and age, you will only stay at the top for so long then you have to work your way back!

About Coach K...i disagree.
He was told by doctors to stop coaching. He is not the type of coach to just pull out when things start to go down hill. He would not do that to those boys.

Return to “Boys Basketball”