JV Team

Re: Warren at Marietta 2/14

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Chili is Friday...Our new focal point.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... BIG road Warrior "W" for Coach Maddox's squad ... Sutton Gym is not an easy place to play for sure - getting a 20 point win is special ... BIG GAME with that nemesis Chillicothe Friday night ...Chillicothe picked up a win at Ironton vs a shorthanded Tiger squad (Fletcher/Brown sitting the 2nd half due to injuries) ... Zach Carter almost pulled off the win for I'town scoring 40 points ...at any rate - a pumped up Cavs squad will be heading for the WarriorDome ...

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

Marietta puts up a good effort but can not handle the Warrens pressure DEFENSE and do not have THE BENCH to stay with the Warriors. They also do not have a Evan French!!! Frenchie had 28 points and played a all round game. He has to be one of the best soph. in Southeast Ohio. What a nice STROKE!!!

Hastie also had a great game. He is Mr. 4 th quarter!! He hit some big shots when we needed them. Good composure when Gearhart came in and gave a couple cheap shot late in the game.

Patton: Nice game!! Rebounded well and his sweet shot is back. When Winland and Knost were in foul trouble he did the job on the boards and 10 points.

I have said it all season, this BENCH is as good as there is. They will just wear a team down. It does not matter who coach puts in, he knows the EFFORT will be there.

Good WIN tonight, Chilli Friday. I have a good feeling!!!!!

Team stats Warren
24-47 from the field 51%
22-30 foul shots 73%
28 rebounds
8 turnovers

Marietta
18-49 from the field 36%
8-14 foul shots 57%
15 rebounds
11 turnovers

The Warren JV team won 51 to 32. They held marietta to 0-6 field goals attemps in the 2nd quarter. Next year looks GREAT!!

GO TEAM WARREN WARRIORS!!!!!!!

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Post by Tim Hardaway Jr. »

Excoach78 wrote:Hastie also had a great game. He is Mr. 4 th quarter!! He hit some big shots when we needed them. Good composure when Gearhart came in and gave a couple cheap shot late in the game.
I don't know if you can call running through a screen hard a cheap shot :lol:

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

What an awesome environment last night in Marietta! Just what we expected to see at Sutton for this rival game....Senior night for the Tiger seniors only added to the drama....back and forth the first half, the Warriors would get a small lead and the Tigers would hit big shots to keep it close....the same in the 3rd...the Warriors finally made a run early in the 4th to create the distance needed to finish the game....as I have said before some of us know Eli, Tim, and Nathan very well as these young men have been on the same team with ours in AAU ball over the years...while a rivalry and you always want to beat Marietta, it tugs at your heart a bit to see these fine boys with their heads down following another loss to the boys in blue...we have great respect for these Tigers and know they will advance in the tournament....what a great job the youngster did with the National Anthem and the tribute to the young lady fighting cancer was a true TEAM effort....this was a night that will not be forgotten! GO BLUE!!!

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

That was a great game last night, it was everything you can ask for in a game..hard fought, intense, and also showcased both of the teams talented athletes. No matter who's side your on, the fourth quarter really summed up why Marietta has lost the last 5 meetings..Where Warrens athletes stepped up, Marietta's seemed to lose their edge and there was no coaching changes to help that either, however the previous 3 quarters were some of their (Tigers) best ball all year.

Marietta is going to lose a great senior class, a class that I believe has underachieved but been vital to the program. Warren will lose some talent too, but there is no doubt they are properly developing and bringing up ALL talent in the program and make sure they are around in the future and are ready year after year, unlike Marietta who has rushed talent, let talent go and not gave it a chance, which definitely shows in the JV loss, and the overall (negative) outlook of the program.

Last I'd like to mention something I and a few other both Warren and Marietta people saw last night at the end of the JV game, a member (not saying a name) of the Marietta coaching staff sure looked to had used some bad language during the post game handshake, it seemed to had been directed at the Warren staff....not sure if anyone saw this..or if I and others are jumping to conclusions.. I can understand the raw emotion after being ran out of the water by a better prepared Warren jv team. hope im wrong

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Snowman79 wrote:Last I'd like to mention something I and a few other both Warren and Marietta people saw last night at the end of the JV game, a member (not saying a name) of the Marietta coaching staff sure looked to had used some bad language during the post game handshake, it seemed to had been directed at the Warren staff....not sure if anyone saw this..or if I and others are jumping to conclusions.. I can understand the raw emotion after being ran out of the water by a better prepared Warren jv team. hope im wrong
I saw that as well Snowman. I believe the "coach" in question was upset at the lack of sportsmanship and class shown by duck in pressing with starters in with a 20 point lead with under 2 minutes to go. When Marietta's "coach" obviously had conceded the victory by subbing 5 in and 5 out. Coach Maddox and Duckworth are good coaches but can get under opponent's skin with some of the "classless" acts they do.

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

Classless Acts: Maybe the Marietta JV coach should worry more about getting his team to play harded and better. Maybe he should coach his team better. Duck has every right to coach his TEAM as he wants. I don't think he needed the Marietta coach to help him. He had his subs on the floor. Warren was playing man to man defense, ever think of getting the ball to your ball handler and cleaning out?????

SORRY!! Do a better job coaching YOUR team. Talk about Classless Act!!!!!!!!!

OSUsucks
Waterboy

Post by OSUsucks »

Maybe you should do a better job keeping the book

sportfan88
Riding the Bench

Post by sportfan88 »

warren had 4 freshman and a soph on the floor most of the 4th

OSUsucks
Waterboy

Post by OSUsucks »

Ex coach should've done a better job keeping stats. That is all

OSUsucks
Waterboy

Post by OSUsucks »

Classless acts: excoach trying to keep the book for Warren

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Whats the need to play full court man to man with 2 minutes left in the game? You can play man to man in the half court too. Nothing classless from the Marietta coach.

el savior
Freshman Team

Post by el savior »

Play until there are triple 0's. It's that simple.

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

The way I see it is that in order for a team to get better, they need to play against better competition. This includes the experience the kids receive when they are up against stiff defense. I want to hope that Marietta was able to learn, in a positve way, that they need to step up their game and play harder. Warren has gotten better by playing in a tough league against opponents who have also played very tough opponents and Warren is better for it. Playing hard nose defense was why Warren had a sizable lead going into the end of the game, and letting the kids play tough defense helped maintain that lead. I never saw Marietta play full court press for the entire game, and maybe they should have. If you play in your opponents face all game long, it will wear them down and you will have a better chance of being competitive at the end. Marietta has some good talent coming up and they will get better. I wish the best for Marietta's varsity in the tourney and next year the up-and-coming JV's will get a chance to prove themselves on the court for the varsity.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

generalwatcher wrote:
Sheridan led the entire game, led the game by 17 with 2+ minutes in the game and MH showing no fight at all. so coach emptied the bench. MH all the sudden went crazy (press/steal/3 ball or fouled) .......was the craziest thing I've ever seen. It all happened so fast! 17 point lead went to 2 points in about 90 secs. Coach had to put starters back in for the last 30 secs... MH actually had a missed shot at the buzzer for the tie!

SHS scoring notes: 2/14: Horsley-31 (16 rbs), Freville-10, Helser 6, King-5, Foltz/Reichly/Russell - 2
2/15: Horsley-27/7, Russell-13, King-7, Fisher-4, Freville-3, Leavitt/Reichly - 2

Why in the world would MH leave their starters in being down that much in the 4th quarter? lol The next time someone complains about running up the score, remember this game! The Sheridan coach called off the dogs and it almost cost him! lol
eagles73
SEOP

I REMEMBER WELL BEING ON THE WRONG END OF THUMPINGS NOT SO LONG AGO WITH WARRIOR FOOTBALL....0 10 YEARS ARE TOUGH WHEN IT IS YOUR KIDS....NO ONE HAD ANY SYMPATHY FOR US BACK THEN....YOU JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOUR BUTT KICKING AND GO ON....MAYBE IN A FEW YEARS YOU GET PAYBACK, MAYBE NOT! JUST GOES WITH THE TERRITORY, I'M SURE DUCK HAD NO PROBLEM WITH A LITTLE NAME CALLING, SO NO ONE ELSE SHOULD EITHER....A COACH WITH SOME YEARS BEHIND HIM WILL NOT LET WHAT ALMOST HAPPENED AT SHERIDAN THE OTHER NIGHT....DUCK HAS HIS PHILOSOPHY AND HE'S STICKING TO IT, AND WE LOVE HIM FOR IT!! HE GETS OUR BOYS READY FOR VARSITY AND THAT IS HIS JOB...LETS KICK SOME CAV TAIL NOW....AND FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO BASH EX-COACH, DON'T EVEN GO THERE, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE DEMEANING....GO WARRIORS!!!!!

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Schnellfritz wrote:The way I see it is that in order for a team to get better, they need to play against better competition. This includes the experience the kids receive when they are up against stiff defense. I want to hope that Marietta was able to learn, in a positve way, that they need to step up their game and play harder. Warren has gotten better by playing in a tough league against opponents who have also played very tough opponents and Warren is better for it. Playing hard nose defense was why Warren had a sizable lead going into the end of the game, and letting the kids play tough defense helped maintain that lead. I never saw Marietta play full court press for the entire game, and maybe they should have. If you play in your opponents face all game long, it will wear them down and you will have a better chance of being competitive at the end. Marietta has some good talent coming up and they will get better. I wish the best for Marietta's varsity in the tourney and next year the up-and-coming JV's will get a chance to prove themselves on the court for the varsity.
Warren is a good team but I wouldn't call the SEOAL a tough league or call Warren's schedule tough.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Now this complicates things a bit doesnt it. I just dont get it. Here I am making plans to cheer on Marietta on Saturday night at Logan. I read how its ok to chop block on the basketball court. Next I see you call my two favorite coaches " classless". I have to go on to find out how you have excoach all fired up. (probably not a good choice). If thats not enough, you dont know if he has napkin stats, keeps the book, or keeps actual stats. Never the less, Warriorfrosh who was torn to see a few Marietta boys with their heads down, is now having football flash backs. Not a very pretty sight in the least bit I might add. So now I have to ask myself. What is it that is so bad about pressing in the fourth quarter? Just incase you missed it. The young man that hit that beautiful three at the buzzer rarely gets the opportunity to see floor time. Forgive me if I seem confused. Why is it classless to press but it isnt classless to swear at the opposing coach?

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

I think it's time to move on. Let's go WARRIORS over Chillicothe!!

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

The problem isnt the press my baseball buddy. The problem begins in the non-competive atmosphere of the biddy league and flows through the system. The schedule hasnt got anything to do with getting better. Its all about how hard you worked to get here. Im talking about playing basketball instead of enjoying the pool in the summer. Giving up baseball to go to basketball camp. Giving up family vacations to help with the youth camp. Going to the weight room because you want to. Its about summer basketball. Its work ethic. You gotta start with a passion and build on it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”