Green Basketball

Winchell
JV Team

Re: Green Basketball

Post by Winchell »

I think the one thing that Kitchen may have going against him is that he has applied for every coaching job under the sun this year. To a lot of interviewers, that is a sign that the applicant will take any job just to get a job. That may be a bit off-putting.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

I'm in no way condemning him for applying to these places. I can just see where it may be an issue for some who are looking at ways to separate one candidate from another.

arrowman
Riding the Bench

Post by arrowman »

winchell wrote:I think the one thing that Kitchen may have going against him is that he has applied for every coaching job under the sun this year. To a lot of interviewers, that is a sign that the applicant will take any job just to get a job. That may be a bit off-putting.

I quote you not to disagree, but rather to persuade you to think like a coach, and to point out that Coaches often apply for jobs even when they have no intention to take the job. Applying for coaching jobs is a yearly thing for many coaches. Several factors lead to numerous applications:
One year contracts do not offer much security. (Need back up plan)
Practice interviews are a great way to prepare for the job you really want.
Sometimes a coach finds a good situation by accident.
Just to name a few
I don't want to put words in your mouth so I will only take a guess as to what would be off putting about a coach applying for many openings. My best guess is that a school would see someone as non-committal or a person that does not have loyalty to a school. I could see how this could be a concern to a parent or community member, however, as a prospective coach I think loyalty is a tiny matter compared to professionalism.
Handling a job with a professional attitude means being loyal to your employer and attempting to build a productive program that outlasts the time that you are in charge. I feel that a coach should be a professional and treat the job he is in, while he is there, as if it is his dream job. Meanwhile, searching for a better situation in which to practice his trade should not be seen as a sign of disrespect towards a school.
Let the best offer win.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

arrowman wrote:
winchell wrote:I think the one thing that Kitchen may have going against him is that he has applied for every coaching job under the sun this year. To a lot of interviewers, that is a sign that the applicant will take any job just to get a job. That may be a bit off-putting.

I quote you not to disagree, but rather to persuade you to think like a coach, and to point out that Coaches often apply for jobs even when they have no intention to take the job. Applying for coaching jobs is a yearly thing for many coaches. Several factors lead to numerous applications:
One year contracts do not offer much security. (Need back up plan)
Practice interviews are a great way to prepare for the job you really want.
Sometimes a coach finds a good situation by accident.
Just to name a few
I don't want to put words in your mouth so I will only take a guess as to what would be off putting about a coach applying for many openings. My best guess is that a school would see someone as non-committal or a person that does not have loyalty to a school. I could see how this could be a concern to a parent or community member, however, as a prospective coach I think loyalty is a tiny matter compared to professionalism.
Handling a job with a professional attitude means being loyal to your employer and attempting to build a productive program that outlasts the time that you are in charge. I feel that a coach should be a professional and treat the job he is in, while he is there, as if it is his dream job. Meanwhile, searching for a better situation in which to practice his trade should not be seen as a sign of disrespect towards a school.
Let the best offer win.

Agreed. However, it is my responsibility as a hiring professional in a district to determine whether or not someone is committed to our kids and our program.(ie: community) I have to avoid, at all costs, those coaches who are practicing what I like to call the NCAA method. Look for the best offer no matter the situation. More often than not, those coaches don't hang around for the long haul, thus putting me in the same position once again a short time later.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

I heard only two people have applied.
Marty Mills asst. principal at Greenup Co. high school.
Marty has been a head coach at Fairview Ky and Rock Hill
and Jeff Nickel girls coach at PHS. no teaching jobs open at Green.

smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

I think John Wooden or Bobby Knight would be a great Choice how bout you Flash :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8
I bet Jumper would still think Kitchen would be more qualified for the Job!!!!!

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

job is Knights if he wants it.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

Jumper, I never said anything against Kicthen don't know him
but I was wondering why Ironton never hired him as head coach
after Phil Rice gave it up and want happen to his teaching job at Ironton
when he coached under Rice. And Jumper FYI, smoke93 has been a coach before
was coach of the year before.

smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

Hey jumper I didn't say any thing bad about Kitchen and I have forgot more Basketball than you will ever know!!!!!

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Jumper, if you can't take the heat stay out of the Kitchen?

Now seriously, who else has applied?

Return to “Boys Basketball”