Piketon 08-09

Trooper
Freshman Team

Re: 2008-09 Piketon Redstreaks

Post by Trooper »

What was Piketon's league record this past season?

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

9-5 in the league (lost to Huntington twice, at ZT by 3, at Adena by 2 in OT, and at SE by 5).
Burg was hot, Piketon was flat, Burg had recent tournament experience and success, Piketon has not....Burg had senior leadership....Piketon did not. Kids lost their composure when they got frustrated, but didn't get a technical or tossed out of the game or really show bad sportsmanship....they just got frustrated and pushed around by a more physical team.... Piketon just lacked maturity that's all.
Again....I'm not a huge fan of Lisath, but I have to give him credit for showing some patience and he did suspend kids during the season, and I really didn't see all of this stuff you say he let go.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Out of Bounds wrote:I'm glad to see everyone on Lisath's band wagon. He had the most talented team in the league. Huntington had the best player and Zane Trace was very athletic, but PHS had the best team and deepest bench in the league! No debate there. I truly believe they under achieved last year, and I won't be surprised if they do next year. Although I hope I'm wrong.

I'll have to disagree with you on Piketon being the best team in the league last year. I would like to know how you're the best team in the league if you have 5 losses? I might see your point if they only lost 1 or 2 league games, but they lost 5. You're right in saying that Huntington had the best player, but he also had a pretty descent supporting cast. Most people who think rationally would say that the best team in the league is the team that finishes in 1st place.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Trooper, if you read the quote it explains my opinion. I believe they had good size, very athletic, very deep bench and some good scorers. They were young is the only thing you can say negative about that team. But the only place that was evident is at the point guard position. But Legg still did a great job. Brush the other freshman came off the bench and did a real nice job too. I don't think the youth was as bad as everyone says it was. I would take those freshman any day of the week!

As far as not finishing first in the league and having 5 loses in the league just reinforces what I am trying to say. I think (my opinion) the streaks were the most talented team in the league. AS A TEAM. Two losses to Huntington is understandable with the Kellough boys. But PHS was still deeper and I believe stronger and could play much more physical. Zane Trace very athletic, but I don't think they have the players PHS has. And the losses to Adena and Southeastern should not have happened. JMO

They have a great group of kids, I hope they live up to the expectations next year. Should be a fun team to watch.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Out of Bounds, Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We lacked maturity, physical strength and mental toughness at times....but the kids are working their butts off to get better. I agree....we have some raw talent...but we must learn how to play the game...that will come with the teachings from our coaching staff, maturity, and playing a lot of basketball between now and November. We had a decent season, but my expectations are always 28-0 State Champs, so its safe to say I will never be satisfied until that happens. Just like I expect our players to get better, the same pressure is on our coaching staff, as we attend coaching clinics and college practices in addition to watching film and picking up new ideas to go along with our philosphy.
If we continue to work as hard as we have during the month of April...we will turn the corner, providing no injuries, disclipline issues, or any other distractions that sometimes can destroy at team.
We have a great summer planned and I look forward to much success in years to come !

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

Coach L, I hope we have a wonderful season and I hope you and the streaks have a wonderful season!!! State in 09!!!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Coach L. Nice post......you have put together a nice coaching staff, I wish we could get Coach London back to work with Southworth and Brush. I thought he did an excellent job with Porter and Woodruff a couple of years ago.
I'm hearing a lot of positive stuff from the Piketon faithful, so I'm sure things are heading in the right direction. Thanks for coming on and sharing your views.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Coach London would be a nice addition to the coaching staff especially if he brings his freshman son with him. :lol:
I believe he is 6'5 athletic kid....

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

I see Evan Legg played in the King James Classic in Akron over the weekend. I bet his dad was proud to see that.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

bengalfan76 wrote:Coach London would be a nice addition to the coaching staff especially if he brings his freshman son with him. :lol:
I believe he is 6'5 athletic kid....

Mike London was on Lisath's coaching staff his first two years at Piketon and I hear that both he and his son has been at open gyms in Piketon.....so who knows!

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Mike and I are friends, and his son wanted to play against Keenan Brush and Caleb Southworth, plus he is playing AAU with Evan Legg. They have no plans to move to Piketon and Mike is coaching at Chillicothe now. I thought he did a great job with me as an assistant. I have Tyler Williams as an assistant who played in the post at Piketon and Wittenberg College, that works with Brush and Southworth.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I was kidding about the transferring.
Kids go to open gyms at other schools all the time.
Some kids love the game and want competition.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Coach L. I hear opem gyms are crowded, I was told you had a lot of Southeastern boys there last week. I remember a few years ago when you had the Adena boys attend your basketball camp during their coaching transition. What days are you having open gyms now?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jeff: I want to wish the best to you and your Piketon Redstreaks. Maybe I can watch a game sometime next year..........I don't think there's any question that Piketon will contend for the SVC title.........and there's a good chance that the Streaks will be at the Convo come March.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Coach L. I hear opem gyms are crowded, I was told you had a lot of Southeastern boys there last week. I remember a few years ago when you had the Adena boys attend your basketball camp during their coaching transition. What days are you having open gyms now?

Jimmy, I believe most of those Southeastern kids were former players. Tuesday and Thursday 6pm-8pm...yes we are getting a lot of kids and a nice mix of former players.

trojandave wrote:Jeff: I want to wish the best to you and your Piketon Redstreaks. Maybe I can watch a game sometime next year..........I don't think there's any question that Piketon will contend for the SVC title.........and there's a good chance that the Streaks will be at the Convo come March.

trojandave, Thanks I appreciate your support, always good to see you...I hope your prediction is right, the kids are working hard....just have to get stronger and learn how to play the game mentally. I anticipate the trojans being strong as well.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Coach L,
I heard your name mentioned for the Asst. Coaching position at Western Carolina University....any truth to this?

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Coach L,
I heard your name mentioned for the Asst. Coaching position at Western Carolina University....any truth to this?

Jimmy, I have seven more years to retire, I would like to finish my high school coaching career at Piketon.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Sorry Coach L, I guess I shouldn't listen to hearsay! I'd like to see you at Piketon for 7 more years!

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Streaks downed Gallipolis 51-22 in a scrimmage at Jackson this evening after GAHS downed Jackson, 48-27.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Jottings wrote:Streaks downed Gallipolis 51-22 in a scrimmage at Jackson this evening after GAHS downed Jackson, 48-27.

Great news for the streaks.....tough summer schedule ahead, and I hear Brush and Helton will miss the Rio Shootout this weekend.

Return to “Boys Basketball”