Warren Local Basketball 2008-2009

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Re: Warren Local Basketball 2008-2009

Post by Eagles20 »

belprefamily wrote:After talking to his family, their only concern is the best for Reggie, PHS is very excited for him coming over. He'll have no problems, so I hope you will continue to follow his first season as a Big Red!!

Wishing Reggie the best............ gonna miss him bunches thats 4 sure..... do your thing "Big Dog"

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Good weekend for the Warriors. Pretty rough shooting much of the time, but that will get better. The offense is starting to click and by last night they were looking good. Overall they were 7-4 this weekend. Fatigue also played a role as they have only had 9 players most of the weekend. Fatigue definitely hurt them at the shoot-out when they played against teams with more bodies to run onto the floor. Notables: 2 wins over Marietta, wins over Meigs, Nelsonville and Parkersburg Catholic. 1 point losses to Fort Frye and Alexander. An early loss to Meigs. Didn't get to see the FF game but they apparently had Fort down by double digits then let them back in the game and lost by 1. It was the 4th consecutive game for Warren at that point and I was told that they started to run out of gas, Wolfe was also not present because he had to work. Warren vs. FF will be great again this year. Meigs and Alex will very solid this season as predicted by all.

Biggest news is the emergence of Eric Hoon who has been giving great minutes. He has really started to step-up and seems motivated to make an impact. Frankly, the whole bench has been stepping-up and giving quality time. Hebb got in a groove last night and looked as good a everyone hopes he will be. As mentioned above, the shooting, overall, still needs to click better. But that will come for this group.

They play Tyler County tonight at 6:00p, Parkersburg on Wednesday at 7:00p and have the Rio Grande shoot-out on Friday.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

The Warriors defeated Tyler County, WV tonight something like 58-29. Tyler was overmatched and had lost a game immediately before playing Warren. They looked pretty wiped out. I suppose a win is a win.

They have a rematch against Parkersburg High on Wednesday.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Warren knocked off Parkersburg last night 73-71 in overtime. Amazing game!! Only 7 players for Warren (Hebb, Hoon, Ellenwood, Lang, Venham, Cunningham & Hilverding) and Hoon only played about 10 minutes because of foul trouble (he had 4 fouls after 8 minutes of play, then fouled out after playing a few minutes in the 2nd half with 6 fouls). The number of fouls called against Warren more than doubled those against PHS. PHS had a bunch of folks there, including a section of bleachers right by the court that seemed to be reserved for PHS basketball boosters/fans. I don't know exactly what that was all about, but it was interesting. PHS had all their players (including Sims) and they are good team. It was a real challenge and a real tough atmosphere. It made for a GREAT summer league win. The shooting is coming along nicely. This will be a very good shooting team and they play good "Warren" team basketball.

Practice today and the Rio Grande shoot-out tomorrow . . .

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Despite looking pretty tired and shooting poorly (except for Hebb in the last game, who put on a show) the Warriors swept the games that they played in the Rio Grande Shoot-out today. They beat Zane Trace, Huntington (Ohio), North Adams & Minford. Lots of substituting, everyone got a bunch of minutes. Another step forward . . .

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Warren finished the Eastern Camp with record of approximately 24-8. My source couldn't remember all the details, but they lost a couple times to Olentangy Liberty, they lost to Grove Port Madison, and they lost two times to Logan Elm. They feel like they can play with Logan Elm, but they are truly a handful with the two new transfers. One of the kids is supposed to be "better" than Congrove, and the other is about 6'7" and 300 lbs. He was a real "brick" underneath the basket. Opinion was they lost a couple games that they shouldn't have, but overall everyone was pleased. Hebb was considered one of the better players at the camp and made it into some of the select games. Warren definitely performed in a way that bodes well for the season.

Only 6 players made it out of bed for Saturday's summer league game. The Warriors lost to Ravenswood and looked very much like a team that had just returned from a tough camp like Eastern. Ravenswood was up 32-9 at the half, then Warren was "inspired" at halftime and ended up losing by 5. You can ask me in person about how they were "inspired" if you need to know. Kinda funny.

Basketball will slow down a bit now, but I'll keep everyone posted on the remaining summer league activities.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

The guard for Logan Elm came from Teays Valley - Brandon Amann. He can stroke it from about anywhere on the court. I'd say he might be a shade better than Tim Congrove, but both are very nice players. He'll also make Congrove better because teams will have to honor two big threats from the court and not focus in on Congrove. The other player is Logan Hauserman, who played for Adena last year. I have not seen him play. You throw these players in with LE's returning nucleus of Congrove, Adam Blake, Chad Holbrook and a JV team that won 15 games and LE is looking pretty strong this year.

I don't put a ton of stock in summer ball other than working on improving skills. One game score reported on the huddle was Logan Elm beating Warren 21-3.

Don't know what Warren has this season, but Coach Maddox typically has a pretty good team.

Army
S

Post by Army »

warrnwarriorfan wrote:Warren finished the Eastern Camp with record of approximately 24-8. My source couldn't remember all the details, but they lost a couple times to Olentangy Liberty, they lost to Grove Port Madison, and they lost two times to Logan Elm. They feel like they can play with Logan Elm, but they are truly a handful with the two new transfers. One of the kids is supposed to be "better" than Congrove, and the other is about 6'7" and 300 lbs. He was a real "brick" underneath the basket. Opinion was they lost a couple games that they shouldn't have, but overall everyone was pleased. Hebb was considered one of the better players at the camp and made it into some of the select games. Warren definitely performed in a way that bodes well for the season.

Only 6 players made it out of bed for Saturday's summer league game. The Warriors lost to Ravenswood and looked very much like a team that had just returned from a tough camp like Eastern. Ravenswood was up 32-9 at the half, then Warren was "inspired" at halftime and ended up losing by 5. You can ask me in person about how they were "inspired" if you need to know. Kinda funny.

Basketball will slow down a bit now, but I'll keep everyone posted on the remaining summer league activities.

Warren will be ready. They always field a good team. The 6'7 kid you mentioned, playing for LE comes from Frankfort Adena.

Good Luck Warriors :!:

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

Good Luck to the Warriors in the Pburg tournament this week.
Last edited by tribetime on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C4PITTS
Waterboy

Post by C4PITTS »

Tribetime, as shocking as this may sound, Kaleb has a JOB this summer. Wasn't that long ago when most boys worked during the summer. When did SUMMER BASKETBALL become mandatory for making the team that plays in the WINTER. With gas at $4.00 a gallon, by the time a kid drives to and from the high school from Kalebs neck of the woods thats 20 miles just to lift for football (which by the way is FAR more important and actually comes BEFORE basketball ) the cost of this FUN summer stuff is getting a little steep. You can probably double that mileage driving to P-Burg. Kaleb will be ready when the REAL Basketball season gets here, I believe his focus is on FOOTBALL now which is the most important thing anyway.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Tribetime: Not really proper etiquette to call out a 16 year old high school kid by name in a public forum. It is especially bad manners when you get to remain anonymous. You use names and criticize a lot. I hope we don't have to read nasties like this all through the season. Why don't you call him, or stop by where he works, or stop by the weight room and ask Wolfe, "What his deal is?" He's around, and I'm pretty sure he'll tell you.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

BTW, it will be tough sledding for the Warriors as they begin the Parkersburg Summer League Tournament tonight. Participation has declined since the Eastern Camp as kids have been working and participating in other activities. In addition, Venham is out for the remainder of the summer with pretty severe shin-splints. He has to take a break before football or his whole Sophomore year could be messed-up. Fivecoait is playing in a golf tournament and I'm not sure he'll be there either. The bottom line is they are missing several kids out of the top of the rotation. We'll see what happens . . .

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

anyone know why south never plays in this league??

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

Basically, I am the most knowledgable in the basketball category so I choose to post in it exclusively.
Last edited by tribetime on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

ffalcon, south quit playing in the league a few years ago due to "weak" competition.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

This site and the Huddle are NOT the place to call a player out.

The only people who have the right to question why someone does not take part in off season conditioning are....

1. Mom and Dad or the legal guardian of said individual since they, not the school, foots the bill for transportation etc for offseason events, and...

2. the player's coach, who should take into the account that these kids have other important things to do such as, working for spending money or working to help offset the cost of a car for them to drive or helping to save money for college or spending time with their family on vacations etc and, this one kills me, taking part in offseason conditioning for as many as 3 sports, football, basketball and baseball for boys, volleyball, basketball and softball for girls.

Give the kids a freaking break and let them be kids. Go swimming or fishing.

Anyone so wrapped up in a summer conditioning program, other than a head coach and the player, has too much time on their hands.

Clover
Waterboy

Post by Clover »

The only people who have the right to question why someone does not take part in off season conditioning are....

1. Mom and Dad or the legal guardian of said individual since they, not the school, foots the bill for transportation etc for offseason events, and...

2. the player's coach, who should take into the account that these kids have other important things to do such as, working for spending money or working to help offset the cost of a car for them to drive or helping to save money for college or spending time with their family on vacations etc and, this one kills me, taking part in offseason conditioning for as many as 3 sports, football, basketball and baseball for boys, volleyball, basketball and softball for girls.

Anyone so wrapped up in a summer conditioning program, other than a head coach and the player, has too much time on their hands.

...................Amen!

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

Isn't Mr B a belpre fan? They really have it figured out in Belpre. Listen to him if you want to get beat 80-37 during the "real" season.

Heres a nice fact, Belpre hasn't beaten Warren since they dropped out of the Pburg League.

lets beat Marietta tonight guys.
Last edited by tribetime on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

C4PITTS
Waterboy

Post by C4PITTS »

Nice post Mister B. WAAAAY too much pressure is put on these kids to attend these summer programs. I believe a lifting program will pay dividends across the board for all the sports. On the other hand by the time high school ball rolls around a PLAYER is a PLAYER skill wise irregardless of how many pickup games he or she plays in. Let's give em a break.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Tribetime...

Here's another nice fact, the coach who took Belpre out of the Pburg league doesn't coach for us anymore.

The last time I checked, they wouldn't let us back in. Hmmm.

As for Belpre not beating Warren in awhile, that is a fact. Everything goes in cycles and I remember when Warren thought their biggest win of the season was against Belpre. I remember Warren being beat by Belpre pretty good on different occasions back in the 1990's. Warren should beat Belpre in every sport, but, they don't.

Warren beat Belpre last year because they had better players and a better coach. Things could change this year.

I seriously doubt that coach Maddox needs or wants you doing any work for him in the department of motivating HIS team on any internet sites. So, just sit back, shut up, eat your popcorn and enjoy the game like everybody else.

Return to “Boys Basketball”