Warren Local Basketball 2008-2009

tribetime
Freshman Team

Re: Warren Local Basketball 2008-2009

Post by tribetime »

we used to have players that couldn't touch the rim...and getting to the convo was a big deal. Now fans expect to get to district play, win games, and see some ally oops along the way.
If you want to be good you have to pay the price. Period.

Honestly, our players do a great job. Warren is always one of the best represented teams. This argument all started because I stated that one big key to success wasn't showing up. If he doesnt want to play basketball next year, thats fine. But if he does, he shouldve been there.
Last edited by tribetime on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Your right about one thing, what I write is important, but what you write is not and I don't see any Warren folks jumping to your defense.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Warren beat Marietta last night without Wolfe, Fivecoait, Venham and Lang. They had 6 varsity players and a JV player (Carroll) who did a fine job. Marietta was missing Brockmier & Eschbaugh (sp?). Having eliminated Marietta they play Parkersburg tonight at 7:00p. If they win that game they will likely play Ravenswood at 9:00p for the Championship. Warren has defeated both of these teams. Parkersburg will have 12 players and, once again, Warren will be hard pressed with folks missing from the top of the rotation. We'll see who is able to be there tonight.

Regardless, it's a solid group and has been a solid summer. Everyone attended the pre-shootout practices. Everyone attended both of the shoot-outs and the Eastern Camp. Everyone has been to several summer league games.

For the football players it is a real grind because they start 7-7 competition next weekend then camp begins on the 22nd and football doesn't stop. For kids playing multiple sports you have to pick and choose. For kids playing multiple sports and working, they could literally have zero time off. For example, the football team took a week off at the beginning of summer, well that week the football players who are playing basketball had summer league games, 2 basketball practices and the Marietta shoot-out. A typical week for a football/basketball player has 8-12 events on the schedule, including basketball games on Saturday and Sunday. Again, if a kid is working on top of that they have literally no time for anything. Things are very, very competitive these days. They are too competitive in my opinion, but no coach can back off and risk losing. So, families have to pick and choose. If my kid had to work, he would have hung-up his basketball shoes too. As it is he'll be throwing the football today from noon until 2:00 and will be playing basketball at 7:00, and maybe again at 9:00. The weight room was closed this morning or he would have been there at 8:00a for a couple hours. That's not an extraordinary day, that's a typical day. Some days are worse, like the days he worked basketball camp, then threw, then had basketball practice. That was about a 10 hour day. Then you consider that each of these events represents a trip to Warren or PHS ($$).

It's wrong to criticize the kids in this public forum. More than that, what Wolfe is being criticized for is wrong. The old saying about "two wrongs" applies here. Wolfe is a top performer who works hard at game preparation, he gets good grades and he is working to earn money to help pay for his car. He doesn't get in trouble at school and, in general, is an excellent role model. We could use many, many more student athletes like him at Warren. Leave it alone.

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

With a tough lost to PHS tonight the summer season has come to close. All in all I think everyone would agree it was a decent summer. But not one that left Warren with a shortage of things to work on. That would be rare anyway.
I was glad to hear of Hoon's participation in almost all of the events this summer. His dedication has picked up, and thatll only lead to good things down the road. Heck, he even has a job and a girlfriend to balance in there. The guy must be a magician. But thats enough of that...good job by all the players. and this fan thanks all of you for your dedication to Warrior Hoops .

cya in november

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Yes, Warren had the same 6 players and lost in double overtime last night to PHS. They had the ball at the end of the first overtime but just couldn't get it done. They seemed to run out of gas in the second overtime. The story of the summer really is Eric Hoon and his emergence. He played strong under the basket last night and seems to be having a great time. Warren will be very competitive next season and will play among the top teams in the SEOAL. Everyone is looking forward to that, but . . .

. . . now it's football time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... always good to read the posts on the Warren ball club during the summer - there has never been any doubt in the minds of the rest of us in the SEOAL that Coach Maddox would put anything but a quality ball club on the floor no matter the season or the talent level for that matter ... Coach Maddox gets it done with the players he has every year - one of those SEOAL "givens" ... he has a good group with his supporting cast of coaches there in Washington Co. ... have always treated me with respect each and every year whether that be home or away OR when we bump into each other on the hardwood road around Southeastern Ohio ...

... best of luck to the Warren TEAM - look forward to seeing everyone at the NEW Logan High School facility come this winter ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”