Minford 08-09

basketballfan23
Waterboy

Re: MINFORD FALCONS 2008-2009

Post by basketballfan23 »

as a former MINFORD FALCON i can see this team going very far and doing very well in the season...coach Copley is a fantastic coach and he will have his team conditioned and all of his players ready for tip off to get underway...i look to see minford beat the burg and oaks at least once this year with evan price a 4 year varsity player as well as sean smith for the gaurd position...hugh brisker will be a big factor in the post play but i hope to see him get more aggressive in the paint...overall if the falcons have a transition game like they did last year i think they will be a very tough team to beat...good luck falcons...take us to the convo...

basketballfan23
Waterboy

also as a former MINFORD basketball player...i suspect that minford should be back at the convo this year with alot of talen coming back...they will lack in height this year which has been hitting minford really hard over the years...but wat minford has is fundamentals...coach copley does a good job at practice doing box out drills shooting drills and has the players conditioned so they can do some of the transition game which minford is very good at that and coach copley knows that...the falcons will be tough to beat with good gaurd play from smith and price...and down low with brisker...does anybody know if blake hall is playing cause if he does he stands at 6-5 maybe 6-6 and that is important for the falcons on the boards cause they were outsized last year almost every game but this year they mite have some heigth...GO FALCONS!!!

deflaf22
Waterboy

Post by deflaf22 »

Minford should do well as they are well coached.

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

Copley's gotta go. No headcoaching ability. Underachieving every year. times up.

basketballfan23
Waterboy

r u crazy...Copch Copley is a great coach...if u dont know copley or ever seen him coach u shouldnt b talkin bout him and his GREAT coaching abilities...we will see when the season starts...GO FALCONS

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Falcon Fan --"With Wheelersburg being down, I look for Oak Hill and Minford to battle for the SOC crown. Time will tell though........"

"Burg is going to be down this year. Compared to most Burg teams."

Well, I must ask...where are you getting this? Let's see...I think the BUrg will outsize you like every year....with 6'5" Andy Stegman down low who has been playing AAU all summer and puts up a lot of points...and then Nick Kemper who is very athletic, Tyler Craigmiles...has height and is stronger than anyone in the SOC...those are just a few of the starters and the Shankweiler who will be the starting point guard is very athletic...I pretty much see the Burg at the top of the SOC...

Plus, Oak Hill had Casey transfer so they are not as big a threat as they use to be..

I agree they are not probably state bound...although I never count any team from here out....I see the Burg being right in the mix of winning the SOC and making a good convo run.
Just don't count the Burg out .....I don't see where they are "Down" because their roster matches up to their past winning rosters? I think the only place they could struggle is the point guard area...

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Honestly--"also having lang lead the way at point gaurd,best in the conference"

Lang is out for the season from his football injury according according to some sources...but Burg has Shankweiler and a few others that can bring the ball up the court...no worries in that area...the only thing other teams should be worried about when it comes to the Burg is 6'5" Andy Stegman down low...he is a baller...and only a sophomore, he will turn heads...

the6thman
Waterboy

Post by the6thman »

Who do you think will be the starters for minford this year? If Hull is coming back and Cowgill is now at Minford. My guess is...

Smith
Price
Cowgill
Brisker
Hull

pappy
Freshman Team

Post by pappy »

time will tell, I still think 10-10 or 12-8 at best

live4sport
JV Team

Re: Minford 08-09

Post by live4sport »

basketballfan23--- you must be a recent player and therefore have no actual knowlede of what constitutes "good" headcoaching ability. I admire your loyalty but leave it to the people that know the difference. You don't have to look much farther than your own school to hear the same echos. Sorry.

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

I'm not a recent Minford grad and I think Copley is the third best coach in the SOC behind the two legends at Burg and Oak Hill. How I'd rate the coaches:

1. Burg
2. Oak Hill
3. Minford
4. South Webster
5. Northwest
6. West
7. Waverly
8. Valley

I'd expect the final standings to go something similar to that with Northwest moving into the top four with those schools battling for the top, and Webster moving down and battlign those schools in the lower half.

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

Coach has a reputation as a good practice cioach and a good basketball mind. It's time to be more than mediocre. It's time to win, and I don't define win this year as beating Oak Hill..

SportsCrazy
Waterboy

Post by SportsCrazy »

So are there any good incoming freshmen? If so who? Also, who are the good J.V. players that will be helping out the varsity squad this season? :122245

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I agree. Time to get past .500. I'd call this the no excuses year (hopefully).

Dude on the Bench
Waterboy

Post by Dude on the Bench »

live4sport,why don't u come out and coach the minford falcons this year since u have endless knowledge about basketball and u know what it takes to be a winner :roll: fyi: coach copley is a tremendous coach who is hardworking, dedicated, and really cares about these kids. he and coach strickland have turned the minford basketball program around 180 degrees since he took over and this year he will lead the falcons to the next level

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

thier a couple on this years team that need to hit the wieght room .. seen them get pushed around alot last year.. and learn to play D that would help just not out there to shoot the ball.. good luck falcons..

Dude on the Bench
Waterboy

Post by Dude on the Bench »

bushmaster,
u make it very clear the 2 players youre referring to. Yeah they're a couple of skinny kids, So What? They can play basketball! These two carried the offensive load for the Falcons last season, probably scored over half the team's points. And to say that #5 is just simply a shooter that doesn't play D is just plain ignorant. I agree that he is not a great one-on-one lockdown defender, but, he is a TEAM DEFENSIVE PLAYER. This young man does the little things on defense: always playing helpside, calling out screens so his teammates don't get their necks broke, boxing out, etc. Not only that, he as well as the rest of the team, knows the opponents scouting report better than they do thanks to Coach Copley's film sessions. Enough said. GO BIG RED!

basketballfan23
Waterboy

i played on the minford team last year and my senior year...and i agree completley with sean smith being a shooter...he is not very strong but if someone posts him up then he knos that the team is on help side D...and i think minford has a very strong gaurd play and i kno coach copley will have them ready for the season...as far as the scouting went...last year the night before the game and every night he had a scouting report for us to go over with each player, position, and play on the paper...and we got film from another team that played them and went over the film to show us wat they could do...coach copley and coach strickland are very good coaches and they are going to have a very succesful season...GO FALCONS!!!

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

i think one of the posters is clearly a player and over sensitive. No one is criticcizing a player that I can see, I think the bottom line is it is time to produce wins.

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

hey "dude on the bench", which says a lot about you. I have never nor will ever criticize Coach Strickland. If he was head coach you would may won the soc last year. Take it from a coach who has forgotten more than you probably know---Copley better produce this year or he is out. Just get over it, it is a fact. If coaches continue to underacheive with strong teams they get booted. That isn't saying anything about his character or him as a man---just a coach right now with this team. The only thing coaches are judged on is W's and if you don't reach an expected number of those or cannot win the big ones then you will soon be out. i admire your loyalty son but it is best to leave this topic to the grown-ups. :roll:

Return to “Boys Basketball”