Portsmouth 08-09

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth 08-09

Post by biggdowgg »

when wil the tickets be ready ?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's scrimmage schedule.......scrimmages start around 6 PM

Tuesday, Nov.18 H with Valley, Waverly
Friday, Nov. 21 at Oak Hill
Tuesday, Nov. 25 at Piketon
Friday, Nov. 28 at Harvest Prep(Columbus) opponent TBD
Tuesday, Dec. 2 at North Adams

Bucking Red: Perhaps Fairland is coming along with Valley for next Tuesday's scrimmage.......I do know we are supposed to play Valley, though.........

With my new job, working second shift, I am going to miss next week's scrimmages and quite a few of the regular season games. My days off change from week to week, so I don't know what games I will be able to go to.

But after getting laid off permanently, I am thankful to have another job!!

GO TROJANS!!!
Last edited by trojandave on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

One thing that I have noticed thus far in practices........there is a LOT more INTENSITY than what I saw last year........the defense has been OUTSTANDING.........and the kids are believing that defense will take them to the next level.

One other thing........we have been pushing the ball up the court every chance we get..........

GO TROJANS!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Northwest game is a home game on Tuesday, December 23. The discrepancy on the notice mailed out is that the SEOAL Day of Champions is NOT a home game.....the South schools play at the North schools.

There is a total of 11 home games............

Tobias: I will do my best to be me.......and I will most likely have a lot of rest for my vocal chords, so I might even be a little LOUDER than usual........if that's possible......and I will be sitting down low again this year........

Fairland will not be coming to Tuesday's scrimmage with Valley and Waverly.......I edited the above post to include Waverly......

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

looking forward to b ball season.

Dave, I did not know you was out of a job, I thought you all just moved into a brand new building.

any way, glad to see you found a new job, I know its going be topugh on you to mis some games, but work is more important.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

Go TROJANS!!!

Sharpshooter21
Waterboy

Post by Sharpshooter21 »

hammerdown wrote:is Mr Myers comming out for bball this season?

Josh myers won't be playing basketball this year

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

I'll be cheerin for my buddy Nate...except for when the Trojans play my Pirates.

TARTAN/TITAN
Freshman Team

Post by TARTAN/TITAN »

I heard Nate was not playing.
if thats the kid heading to Penn State.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Nate Cadogen is playing.......I was at practice the week of tryouts and after cuts were made, Nate was out there practicing with the rest of the varsity.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

may have to go check out tommorows scrimage at piketon

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

:lol:

sure be glad to get back in that man box this season.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Anyone know how the Trojans did tonight against Piketon?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thanks!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, Tobias.......it's good to see our Trojans playing better basketball.......scrimmages are not real games, nor is summer basketball......but I do think one thing is clear......Portsmouth is primed for a very good season. The talent is there, that's for sure......

I have a day off work next Tuesday, so I will going to the scrimmage at North Adams.......

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Based on what I seen at the scrimmage, they lack discipline, they do have talent, I believe they will win more games this year, but never reach their potential. I was looking for them to turn the heat up defensively against Piketon, maybe their coach felt they didnt need to. They did press one quarter but Evan Legg handled it by himself. I would like to see these two teams in a real game with both teams having all of their players and firing on all cylinders!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I can also vouch for Coach Shoemaker and his staff.........there is discipline on the basketball team.......there have been players suspended for several games, and others have sat for not meeting team rules......but nobody seems to notice this.....

Defensively, Portsmouth has been concentrating more on their half court man to man than the full court press........good, hard, half court man-to-man is what our staff believes will make us successful.......it's something we didn't do last year very well. We will still full court press on occasion, but man defense will be our bellweather this year.

So far, Portsmouth has defeated Piketon and Oak Hill in scrimmages at their gyms.......two very good teams favored to win their leagues.......

Regardless of how we do in scrimmages, though, they are just scrimmages, and will be long forgotten once the season starts. The real bell rings on Dec.6 against Greenfield McClain, and hopefully our kids will come out and defend with an attitude.......our offense will be fine.

Sharpshooter21
Waterboy

Post by Sharpshooter21 »

hammerdown wrote:
Sharpshooter21 wrote:
hammerdown wrote:is Mr Myers comming out for bball this season?

Josh myers won't be playing basketball this year

that's to bad. is he focusing on getting ready for baseball?

I dont know if he is or not he probably is though

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth fared well in the scrimmage at North Adams despite Anthony Williams and Andrew Bendolph being out due to minor injuries.......they should be ready to go vs. Greenfield McClain on Saturday.

The Trojans played 5 quarters total vs. North Adams and Georgetown:

Portsmouth 16, Georgetown 9
North Adams 17, Portsmouth 16
Portsmouth 14, Georgetown 7
North Adams 22, Portsmouth 9
Portsmouth 21, North Adams 17

I was very impressed with the defensive intensity, and told the coaches that after the scrimmage.......they look much more focused on D than last year.........

This was my first opportunity to see Tory Horne in a competitive situation, and I came away with this diagnosis........Tory has game!! He showed the whole package......he ran the point, drove to the basket with some really nice moves for buckets, made some very timely assists, and pushed the ball up the court well against the press, also hit a couple of 3's......he scrapped on defense as well.........Tory will be a huge impact player for Portsmouth this year based on what I saw last night.........

I am not familar with Georgetown's personnel, though they did win the D4 state title 2 years ago, but North Adams is a solid club that will most likely win the Southern Hills League. Senior guard Kraig Unger and the other kid #24, also a guard.......I don't know his name.....are solid ballplayers.....the Green Devils have enough inside to cause problems for opponents. I think it's safe to say NA will be at the Convo once again in March.......

Overall, I was very pleased with what I saw considering the Trojans were without two starters...........the defense was what impressed me the most...........MUCH BETTER than last year............

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Last weekend Portsmouth played in the Harvest Prep Slam and Jam.......and did well against all D1 schools.......the Trojans beat Columbus Independence twice, once on Friday and then again Saturday morning, then lost to Cincinnati Winton Woods in the final seconds, then lost to Cincinnati Aiken........overall the coaches were pleased with the kids' play............

Return to “Boys Basketball”