Final: @ Portsmouth 67 Peebles 44

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Re: (14-2) Peebles @ (15-2) Portsmouth, 2/7

Post by Out of Bounds »

Let's take this game for what it was. A top 10 state ranked team playing a solid SHL team who has great success in the past. Portsmouth flexed their muscle and handled business and a well coached Peebles team who plays hard came in and had a tough second half that you can't afford to have against a team like Portsmouth. Portsmouth, Cheasepeake and Ironton, with Valley (not in any order) are the class of division 3 in the SE this year. These teams seem to reload not rebuild. But the SHL has 3 solid teams this year with Peebles, Eastern Brown and Ripley although Ripley goes to the SW. I don't think we need to bash the SHL here because Portsmouth has beat a lot of teams badly this year and I'm wondering why we mention the SOC because Portsmouth plays in the SEOAL? I think anyone of the SHL team I mentioned would compete very well in the SOC. Other than Valley, I believe the SOC is way down this year. So it's kind of petty to try to rub noses here. Two teams competed very hard and the better team won this year. There is a very good chance for a rematch come District time because I believe both teams will make it to the Convo. Good luck to both!!

goindians42
Riding the Bench

Re: Final: @ Portsmouth 67 Peebles 44

Post by goindians42 »

thanks Trojan FB Alum for keeping us updated!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Very good win by the Trojans over a Peebles team that I thought was a pretty good basketball team........but the Indians succumbed to PHS's defense which held them to only 14 points in the second half........I thought Portsmouth's quickness definitely bothered Peebles, with the result being 20 turnovers by the Indians(according to the radio post game).

No question Portsmouth is playing outstanding basketball.........the last two opponents, Chillicothe and Peebles, have scored a total of 27 points in the second half vs. the Trojans.

The Trojans' are playing TEAM basketball.........Wayne Evans running the point well, Zaide Whitley playing great on-ball defense, Dion McKinley taking care of business inside, Lenny Collins and Mason Jordan making plays, Duke Edwards, Jayllen Carter, and Seth Bratchett coming off the bench and making a difference in every game..........these kids have made us all very PROUD!!

I am really happy with Zaide Whitley stepping up his offensive game........he has proven that he consistently can score double figures, which is very important since Wayne Evans has sacrificed points for doing the PG duties........I love Wayne's UNSELFISH play!!

This senior class is really special!!.........They have brought Portsmouth basketball back to prominence once again!!..........and with two more wins, will bring PHS its first SEOAL basketball title and first league championship since an OKAC title in 1991.

Two more wins will also make this team join the 1979 (18-0), 1987(18-2), 1990(18-2), and 1991(18-2) teams as the only Portsmouth teams to record 18 wins in a regular season (the most regular season wins was by the 1988 team which went 19-1).
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As I said in my above post, I think Peebles is a pretty good basketball team.......they have some shooters (Arey and Justice), their PG has some good quickness, and they have Daniels inside........I think the Indians are definitely good enough that if one of the Jackson sectional powers are not on top of their game, PHS could pull off a win.

freethrow25
Riding the Bench

Post by freethrow25 »

Peebles looked like Peebles should look against a top 10 team and last years state runner up. Turnovers always seem to hurt. The Indians community is just like almost every small town community that is not a "football" school. When they run into schools that some would say "reloads not rebuilds" you have outcomes like 20+ deficits. By the way I'm not saying the Trojans "reload". I don't know anything about the program and frankly I dont care. lol
The Indians have nothing to be ashamed of and Peebles fans can only hope that one day we can pull off some "upsets" against highly ranked teams.

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

I personally think that Peebles has over achieved this year. Peebles is a year away from having a great team. I have really been impressed with the job that coach Arey has done. Over the past five years or so, his coaching ability has greatly improved. I hope that Peebles continues to play teams like Portsmouth. If Peebles desires to take the program to the next level, (regionals) playing a team like Portsmouth is only going to help.

warrior 89
Freshman Team

Post by warrior 89 »

ohiostbucks99 wrote:Peebles is a good team and would do well in the SOC. they can't help that the SHL is weak. They will win there sectional but they are not on the same level as Portsmouth
If everybody in these small cities think the SHL is so weak, then after the season is over load up your bus with the big bad Trojans bring the whole team (you'll need them) to Adams County, and with 8 SHL players we will wipe up the floor with ya.
If anyone thinks they can arrange this just let me know, I'm sure we can provide a gym for this, or we can bring it to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

warrior 89 wrote:
ohiostbucks99 wrote:Peebles is a good team and would do well in the SOC. they can't help that the SHL is weak. They will win there sectional but they are not on the same level as Portsmouth
If everybody in these small cities think the SHL is so weak, then after the season is over load up your bus with the big bad Trojans bring the whole team (you'll need them) to Adams County, and with 8 SHL players we will wipe up the floor with ya.
If anyone thinks they can arrange this just let me know, I'm sure we can provide a gym for this, or we can bring it to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to ask, are you wanting a match-up with Portsmouth and an "All-Star Team" comprised of 8 players from Adams County? What in the world sense does that make? You do realize that Portsmouth is just ONE team in Scioto County, right? I'm not saying "my county is better than yours", as that's a pi$$ing contest that I simply find ridiculous. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding your post correctly. Afterall, Portsmouth and Valley are BOTH in Scioto County, and BOTH are going to be in that aforementioned top 4 in the Jackson Sectional. That being said, Scioto County has some other tradition-rich programs as well as some other programs that are having success this season as well. If you get to pick a top 8 from Adams County, then wouldn't it only be fair for the hypothetical team you are calling out to be comprised of the top 8 from Scioto County? Just sayin...

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

warrior 89 wrote:
ohiostbucks99 wrote: If everybody in these small cities think the SHL is so weak, then after the season is over load up your bus with the big bad Trojans bring the whole team (you'll need them) to Adams County, and with 8 SHL players we will wipe up the floor with ya.
HAHAHAHA love it, trying to build an all star team, to compete. Imagine if we made and all Scioto county team. How bout we just add Blake Yates and Austin Mcbee to the Trojans team not to mention all the other quality guys in the area, I think that there alone would be a pretty much untouchable all county team for around here, Lot of talent right now.

Honestly I'm still don't think you would as you said “wipe up the floor" with the Trojans with and all star team. Not positive the Trojans don't still get the W, against your top 8 even without help from the rest the county. Just my opinion.

NormanDale
Freshman Team

Post by NormanDale »

So it's gonna be 8 against 5??? Should be a little closer game

rooster
Freshman Team

Post by rooster »

I can't believe this thread is still alive. Warrior89 I presume is an Eastern Brown Warrior Fan and maybe he is referring to EB playing Portsmouth and not the Peebles game. IMO, Portsmouth should be leading DIII right now. They have eleven returning seniors, the same team that went to the Final Four last year minus Bendolf...They should be whipping up on all the other DIII teams who lost their upper classman and are young and rebuilding. Frankly I wish the Trojans well and hope they go all the way. It sucks when you know you have what it takes to go to the big show and you fall short because of one bad night. Next year the Trojans will lose a lot, am I right? So this is their year to shine and go as far as they can. I wish the best for those kids. If a team from the Southeast can win it all then I'm all for it. Our young Peebles team has come a long way. We only have one Senior Jake Daniels and other than Junior Trent Arey the rest all played JV last year. We've struggled but they are working hard. Playing Portsmouth was a good experience for these boys. Good luck Trojans and Good Luck to my Indians!!

warrior 89
Freshman Team

Post by warrior 89 »

The main reason for the previous post was it seemed like this tread wasn't so much about Portsmouth vs. Peebles, but about how bad the SHL is, so sarcasticly I was just trying to say there are some very good teams and even better indivual players in the SHL when most everybody else on here seem to have a different opinion. Now that it's tourney time you must play every game like it's your last, because it may be, and on a good night maybe even to an SHL team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”