SEOPS HOF

Re: All-TVC Hocking

Post by 93Bulldog »

Thank you!

spectator
Waterboy

Post by spectator »

It seems like everything is based on how many points a player scores. Does anyone take in consideration of the other aspects of the game? Like defense,steals,assists & rebounds. How about shooting percentage from 2's & 3's and free throw percentage. There is a lot of other stats to look at. Just something to think about.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

spectator wrote:It seems like everything is based on how many points a player scores. Does anyone take in consideration of the other aspects of the game? Like defense,steals,assists & rebounds. How about shooting percentage from 2's & 3's and free throw percentage. There is a lot of other stats to look at. Just something to think about.
Coaches do - and that's all that matters.

Last season - TVC-Ohio P.O.Y was Jack Hart for Alexander ... He played for a team that didn't win the league and he didn't score a lot of points - but he was a defensive monster for the Spartans and changed what teams could do offensively when they played Alex.

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

If this award is all about scoring a player that plays for Southern will never win it. Southern is a team that tries to have balanced scoring and they do with four players averaging double figures. Plus if Southern has a big lead they pull their starters and let their younger players get some experience. It would be nice to have a player from Southern win it but I don't think Southern is putting any thought into who wins it. I think they are trying to win out and get ready for the tournament.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

George Jones wrote:If this award is all about scoring a player that plays for Southern will never win it. Southern is a team that tries to have balanced scoring and they do with four players averaging double figures. Plus if Southern has a big lead they pull their starters and let their younger players get some experience. It would be nice to have a player from Southern win it but I don't think Southern is putting any thought into who wins it. I think they are trying to win out and get ready for the tournament.
No coach or team cares or thinks about post season awards during the season. IMO

Its just something that plays out after everything is said and done with ... But it gives us fans something to talk about! :mrgreen:

spectator
Waterboy

Post by spectator »

Do the coaches of each team recommend how they want there players selected? Or is it done some other way?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

spectator wrote:Do the coaches of each team recommend how they want there players selected? Or is it done some other way?
Heck, they've changed it a few times so I'm not 100% confident how its done now ... But I think each team is awarded a certain number of players accoring to where they finish in the league - then its just up to the coach who he wants to put on their. I don't even think there is voting anymore for the 'all-league' team.

P.O.Y ... A coach puts up one player from his/her team, and then they do vote on that.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

ccccc wrote:
I don't know season stats I was at both southern belpre games. Rosebury had 11 and 23 with Ullman having 23 and 9. They are seperated by a bucket in two games. What sealed the deal for me was the game at southern. Crunch time with the game in the balance Ullman penetrated at will scoring 7 of his 9 points in the 4th quarter and creating numerous scoring opportunities for his teamates. Rosebury in my opinion had a good scoring game but really could have sealed the game and the victory on his home court. Probably most people did not even notice with belpre clinging to a 1 point lead and trying to inbounds the ball southern had there best athlete(rosebury) on Ullman trying to not let him get the ball. The significance of all of this is rosebury had 4 fouls and southern was denying the inbounds and was gonna foul immediately. Ullman got the ball and was fouled and went down and sank both free throws. That is pretty telling right there. Southern would rather deny ullman the ball by sacrificing there best player and taking there last possesion without there best player on the floor than let ullman have it and go to the line. I can tell you for sure if it was reversed, there is no way belpre would take there last possesion without Ullman.

Your point supports that Roseberry is a heck of an all around player. He guards big men and point guards. I think Southern probably thought the best chance was to deny the ball so Roseberry on Ullman was their best option. I was at the game also, and it took Belpre 3 chances on the play you are talking about to get the ball inbounds. Belpre barely got a time out before a 5 second call the 1st try, and then Roseberry knocked it out of bounds (close to being off Ullman) on the 2nd try. Finally got it in on the 3rd try. Denying him the ball 2 out of 3 times isn't bad when we all know the offensive player has the advantage.
The knock on Roseberry is, he doen't shoot it well. Outside of that, he plays both ends of the floor all out and is the best offensive rebounder I have seen this year. One other thing to point out is Ulmann scored about half of his 23 at Belpre in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach if I remebmber right, and Roseberry was probably on the bench the last couple minutes of that game. Roseberry scored his 23 at Southern when the game was tight all the way.

sportsfan_mov
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsfan_mov »

Just to clarify, in the first Belpre/Southern meeting Ullman did score 11 points in the 4th quarter, just as 5 of 11 of Roseberry's points came in the fourth. Being down by only 8 points at the start of the fourth though, no coach is going to sit his best player out to give others minutes in the game. The game was not a blowout in which subs should have been playing to get court time.

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Dustin Guthrie from VC won the award twice in 06/07 and 07/08.

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

I don't think it matters how old the person is. If Belpre wins the league by 2 or 3 games, I think there is no doubt Ullman should win POY.

sportsfan_mov
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsfan_mov »

eaglefan1 wrote:I don't think it matters how old the person is. If Belpre wins the league by 2 or 3 games, I think there is no doubt Ullman should win POY.
I agree 100%.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

eaglefan1 wrote:I don't think it matters how old the person is. If Belpre wins the league by 2 or 3 games, I think there is no doubt Ullman should win POY.

I don't think it matters who wins the league. It is who the best all around player is and I don't think it is Ullman. Ullman is a great scorer but there is much more to the game than just scoring.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Id take roseberry and Carnahan over ullman

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Everyone on here is promoting their players regardless of how well the other players are playing.If Ullman played for Eastern or Southern you would be all for Ullman. If Roseberry or Carnahan played for Belpre then Belpre posters would be all for one of them. No one can say who is the better players based on seeing them play once or twice.I agree that the best player,regardless of how many points or where the team finishes,should be named POY.Weather it's Ullman,Roseberry or Carnahan or someone else,all would be deserving,it will be decided by people who have seen them all play all year.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I agree. We pretty much know who the top players are by now. Ullman, Carnahan, and roseberry would all be deserving. Carnahan probably won't win bc of how poor their record is. Maybe if they were around .500 he would have a shot. He puts up 20 ppg against a box in 1 night in and night out. I wouldn't mind seeing roseberry win it this year and Carnahan and ullman bash it out next year.

ccccc
Waterboy

Post by ccccc »

John Wooden wrote:

I don't think it matters who wins the league. It is who the best all around player is and I don't think it is Ullman. Ullman is a great scorer but there is much more to the game than just scoring.
Ullman plays point guard for crimeny sakes, do you think theres a little bit of leadership and skill to play that position whether you can score or not. A point guard that can distribute the ball and break down presses and also score is far and few between. You act like he's the 2 guard - just sets his feet and shoots. He can penetrate inside, shoot midrange and outside and if he's fouled he knocks em down. All the kids in this discussion are deserving, but to imply that Ullman can just score is ridiculous.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

ccccc wrote:
John Wooden wrote:

Ullman plays point guard for crimeny sakes, do you think theres a little bit of leadership and skill to play that position whether you can score or not. A point guard that can distribute the ball and break down presses and also score is far and few between. You act like he's the 2 guard - just sets his feet and shoots. He can penetrate inside, shoot midrange and outside and if he's fouled he knocks em down. All the kids in this discussion are deserving, but to imply that Ullman can just score is ridiculous.

Easy that is JMO. I have only watched him play twice. I don't have a child involved in the discussion so I'm not going to get to fired up about it or go crazy when someone states an opinion. I don't think he is as athletic as Roseberry or Lee but he is only a sophomore. I think he is a fine player and a great scorer.

Return to “Boys Basketball”