Feb 3 - Southern (11-3, 8-3) @ Fed Hock (7-7, 6-5)

spectator
Waterboy

Re: Feb 3 - Southern (11-3, 8-3) @ Fed Hock (7-7, 6-5)

Post by spectator »

I think it was 56 to 22 at the end of 3rd quarter. Coach put in jv players with 5 mins to go. I think they had 9 turnovers in the last 5 min. Southerns defense applied a lot of pressure & were very quick tonight. FH never had one player hit double figures. Also hit 8 threes Taylor 4, Martin 3 & Roberts had 1. Played good team ball tonight. Good luck Southern!

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Southern won't make it very far if Taylor keeps jacking up 3's at the rate he's going

Fan-o-Southern
Varsity

Post by Fan-o-Southern »

gymrat88 wrote:This game shows the irony in sports: Eastern beats Southern, Federal Hocking beats Eastern by 24 at Eastern and losses by only 6 at Southern, yet FH gets blown out tonight at DC Mac. Embarrassing effort and performance by the Lancers. Blame goes to the players, and coaches for not being prepared to play this game. Not taking anything away from Southern, but this game was more about FH not being ready to play than anything. Good luck to Southern the rest of the way, and hopefully the Lancers can salvage what's left of their season.
Another irony scenario is that Southern beats Belpre @ home, pretty much controlled the game, I think at that time B hadn't been beaten, and then Belpre comes to the Oven and wins (but I still say, not to take anything from Belpre, that it was more Southern lost than Belpre won).

And your other comment Howie not having a team ready? Kinda odd, not disagreeing, just not usually the case. Alas, that's why they play 'em.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

Fan-o-Southern wrote:
gymrat88 wrote:This game shows the irony in sports: Eastern beats Southern, Federal Hocking beats Eastern by 24 at Eastern and losses by only 6 at Southern, yet FH gets blown out tonight at DC Mac. Embarrassing effort and performance by the Lancers. Blame goes to the players, and coaches for not being prepared to play this game. Not taking anything away from Southern, but this game was more about FH not being ready to play than anything. Good luck to Southern the rest of the way, and hopefully the Lancers can salvage what's left of their season.
Another irony scenario is that Southern beats Belpre @ home, pretty much controlled the game, I think at that time B hadn't been beaten, and then Belpre comes to the Oven and wins (but I still say, not to take anything from Belpre, that it was more Southern lost than Belpre won).

And your other comment Howie not having a team ready? Kinda odd, not disagreeing, just not usually the case. Alas, that's why they play 'em.
Great gameplan by Jeff Caldwell to come out and press FH for most of the game. Ball handling has been the Lancers kryptonite, and Southern exploited it and also by pressing made it nearly impossible for FH to get the high low game going. But yes, I also thought Howie coached a very poor game against South Gallia, and I thought the fact that FH wasn't ready for an up tempo, perimeter game by Southern shows a lack of preparation and a lack of execution.
Last edited by gymrat88 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Bulldog wrote:Fed Hock posses a difficult match-up for Southern ... The Tornadoes don't seem like a 'perimeter' team - they don't like to sit out and shoot threes all night ... They want to score inside or by slashing to the hoop with Roseberry and Roberts ... On the flip side - that's exacty what Fed Hock wants the opposing teams to do ... Drive inside where they are strongest with Carney and Saylor.

The Lancers struggle with teams that boast quick backcourts and guards who can shoot ... (i.e. South Gallia, who beat Fed Hock inside McInturf Gymnasium Power 105) ... Southern does have the quickness to press and play up-and-down the court - whether or not they do it is another question.

The last meeting was 42-36 in favor of the Tornadoes - because they chose to play a 'half-court game' against a team that plays best in the half-court.
Hmmmmmmm ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Bulldog wrote:Whatever it takes to win - that's great. I don't have any problem with that strategy what-so-ever.

I just watched South Gallia (who only plays about 6 or 7 kids) run Fed Hock up and down the court, pressed all night and the Lancers really struggled with it - and were never really in the game ... My only point was 'IF' Southern wanted to do that - they have the athletes and the speed to do it.
Hmmmmmmm ... Pt 2

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

Maybe the son should pay more attention to what the grandson was doing. Seems like he outcoached his dad in a major way. Should make for interesting conversation at Easter dinner..... would love to be a fly on the wall for that holiday meal.

1sportsfan
Waterboy

Post by 1sportsfan »

Super Trooper wrote:Southern won't make it very far if Taylor keeps jacking up 3's at the rate he's going
Super Trooper did you not attend the game? not a southern fan but the Taylor had 4 3-point attempts and made all 4. he had limited playing time and was probably the assist leader for Southern. Great passer

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I agree if he's on then he is a great asset. But I have also attended a few games where he's way off and it killed them

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

I just saw where FH scored 74 last night. I really believe that Southern could have held them under 30 if their regulars had played the whole game. If Southern continues to play that tough on the defensive end, they will be in great shape the remainder of the year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”