Southern home crowd

BePurple
Waterboy

Southern home crowd

Post by BePurple »

I am not intending for this to be a negative post. That being said I am a little disappointed at times with our enthusiasm at home. I think many times we let the boys down. And don't get me wrong this is not something I have just noticed. I have been going to games since I was a kid. (not going to mention how long that has been) It never really changes. I get pretty frustrated when with about a minute left of a very close game and people start getting up and leaving. Are you kidding me. I have never seen traffic so bad in Racine that you need to duck out before the crowd to avoid a traffic jam. End of the game, down a couple buckets, league title on the line and you can't stick around to cheer on the team. Seriously don't know why you came to begin with. Anyway enough of that..... Anyone that went to the game at Wahama. Did you notice a major difference in crowds. Wahama's student section was INSANE. Wonder why the last couple years we have trouble closing a game there. Wahama had nothing to play for in terms of championships in the tvc. Didn't matter. They were into the game from the beginning and never really set down even when they were behind double digits. Seems like we are too reactionary. Have to have something real exciting happen on the floor to get a big cheer. I really expected more tonight. First place team in the league comes in. If we win we are still in the hunt. They beat us and it is all but over for a league championship. That is all it should take to get a crowd excited. (in my best chris carter impersonation): COME ON MAN!!! Help your team out. This is one of the most athletic, well coached, and fun to watch teams to come through Hayman in a while and we let them down. Anyway this is just my opinion, take it or leave it. Just some things I have noticed through the years and I guess I just couldn't hold it in any longer. lol Still can't wait until tourney time. We should be a tough out.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Re: Southern home crowd

Post by G.W.A. »

I agree, just like most schools. They have some ignorant fans that only attend home games and think they know it all. You will have that at every school, thats just the way it is

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

You think its bad now wait till you have a down season then the fair weather fans come out

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

VegasEagle wrote:You think its bad now wait till you have a down season then the fair weather fans come out

True. The fair weather faithful are in every city, town and village.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I stayed until the end BePurple ... lol

Didn't even have a problem with traffic either.

BePurple
Waterboy

Post by BePurple »

You didn't get caught at the light? Oh nevermind. Lol

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Southern fans aren't that bad. I went to 2 games at southern and sat in the visitors crowd in both games, now they were bad. Ive never seen so many fans want to beat officials up after the game.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

I think Southern has some pretty loyal fans. You go to an away game and we always fill our side of the bleachers. We have fans that do a lot for the players. Some of fans have been coming to Southern games for fifty years. Most of our loyal fans are older and aren't going to do cheers but they will yell if they get excited. I think where we lack is our student section, most kids don't want to come to ball games anymore too much other stuff for them to do. G.W.A I'm sure we do have a few ignorant fans like most schools but we also have a lot of knowledgeable fans that played, coached and watched ball for years.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Hopper 11 wrote:I think Southern has some pretty loyal fans. You go to an away game and we always fill our side of the bleachers. We have fans that do a lot for the players. Some of fans have been coming to Southern games for fifty years. Most of our loyal fans are older and aren't going to do cheers but they will yell if they get excited. I think where we lack is our student section, most kids don't want to come to ball games anymore too much other stuff for them to do. G.W.A I'm sure we do have a few ignorant fans like most schools but we also have a lot of knowledgeable fans that played, coached and watched ball for years.
Agree with all the above , except for the kids having other stuff to do. Drugs or videogames is not what i would consider other stuff to do and there is nothing else to do around Racine.

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

I have been to a couple games in past years and they always seem to have a good crowd I thought. When Southern played at RV this year the visitors side was full and the fans cheered and were not unkind in any way.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I know there were no seats on the visiting side either when Southern traveled to Meigs ... And the Marauders were a winless team at that point.

The Tornado student section may be medicore at best - but what it lacks in students - they make up for with adults ... Anyone at the Wellston game would know the Southern fans can get really into a game given the right circumstances ... :mrgreen:

BOO YAH
Freshman Team

Post by BOO YAH »

HEARD THAT!

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

I agree that the Southern crowd was not real vocal this game, and it has been that way other home games. It seems like other schools are always fired up to play Southern when Southern comes to their place. The SHS crowd was defintely fired up during the Wellston game, but there were many other things that led to that. I think Southern fans can be a little hard to please at times, and forget that about 7 or 8 years ago they were non factors in the TVC and tournament time. They shouldn't expect their team to play great every night, and when they aren't playing well is when they need the fans the most.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

I think Southern fans do expect their team to play well every night and rightfully so. One thing that would help the student section would be for grade school coaches to quit having practices on the nights that the varsity is playing or have them early enough for the kids to make it to the games. Kids can't support the team if they can't be at the games.

Return to “Boys Basketball”